Prediction Richmond can & will win the flag in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

This is really starting to become a possibility with just 4 more wins required

But when i heard about the night grand final - I thought Wow Fantastic

Night Games - Our specialty
Night Games - In Queensland Humid and warmer - Perfect for our fit and faster team
Night Games - In Queensland = Dew more Kaos Ball

The AFL have rigged this for another Tigers flag
but they just dont know it yet
Well we are the only team not to have played a day game this yr. Just wait till the salty brigade figure this out....

I think Mick actually is pretty much straight on the money here...except for his opinion on us of course. :drunk: I wonder what he thinks now?

In terms of his view on Port and Lions, I think it's a reasonable assertion to make that these two teams would not have won as many games this year without the advantage of home games. No other teams have received the same leg up (other than the 5th place Eagles). It very much reminds me of Geelong in previous years with their home ground advantage - it positioned them beautifully for the finals but every year they were found out when they faced better opposition.

My only concern is the home ground advantage of these two teams in the first week of finals. Beyond that, they will lose the advantage and crumple.

Geelong is still not out of it. They have quality players to return. So does Collingwood who always step up during the finals and play well in Queensland. The Eagles also have good players to return but they struggle in Queensland for whatever reason.

So for me, its ours to lose. If we can avoid playing Port in Adelaide I can't see us missing a trick. Easy win :laughing:
My concern is the form of players returning to the side after long periods out. Dave, Shane and Dion. I know we win with not everyone playing blinders. Dion is my real concern.
Ross, Markov and Aarts have played well. If we went into a GF with them I'd be happy. Chol is looking like he'll be in the team too. Not as happy him but Caddy could play up fwd, instead of Chol. And we use Lynch to ruck a bit more. Higgins might be in consideration too.

Last edited:

I think Mick actually is pretty much straight on the money here...except for his opinion on us of course. :drunk: I wonder what he thinks now?

In terms of his view on Port and Lions, I think it's a reasonable assertion to make that these two teams would not have won as many games this year without the advantage of home games. No other teams have received the same leg up (other than the 5th place Eagles). It very much reminds me of Geelong in previous years with their home ground advantage - it positioned them beautifully for the finals but every year they were found out when they faced better opposition.

My only concern is the home ground advantage of these two teams in the first week of finals. Beyond that, they will lose the advantage and crumple.

Geelong is still not out of it. They have quality players to return. So does Collingwood who always step up during the finals and play well in Queensland. The Eagles also have good players to return but they struggle in Queensland for whatever reason.

So for me, its ours to lose. If we can avoid playing Port in Adelaide I can't see us missing a trick. Easy win :laughing:
My concern is the form of players returning to the side after long periods out. Dave, Shane and Dion.

Well we are the only team not to have played a day game this yr. Just wait till the salty brigade figure this out....

St Kilda round 4

Melbourne round 5

Sydney round 6

Port round 11

Crom round 17

We've played a few day games, not too many mind

St Kilda round 4

Melbourne round 5

Sydney round 6

Port round 11

Crom round 17

We've played a few day games, not too many mind
Round 4 & 11 were 4:35pm start, generally considered "twilight" games, not "day" games.

Round 5 & 6 was 3:35pm start, yep, I'd consider these games in daylight for 90%+ even though these games are considered "twilight", too. Looking back the shadows are obvious later in the games meaning lighting has taken over from natural light.

Round 17 was Cats at 7:50pm, so don't think you meant that... Round 18 will be against Crows @ 5:10pm meaning "twilight/night".

Some of you were so close to jumping off the ship early in the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The planets aligning again

• The Tigers won their first Premiership 100 years ago this season. They won it in October
  • Last 3 times we finished third we won the flag 1980, 2017, 2019
  • When we beat Adelaide in September we win the flag
  • Last loss of 2019 was at Adelaide Oval then won the next 12 games. In 2020 our last loss was at the Adelaide Oval and to win the flag will have to win the next 9. (equivalent to 12 games, seasonally adjusted).
  • Last 5 times we have beaten Geelong in September we were premiers 1967, 1969, 1980, 2017, 2019
  • The last time there was a global pandemic (Spanish Flu) we were premiers.

Last edited:
A fully fit Geelong is the side that concerns me the most, although then again I can't see them getting close.
Cats just don't have that extra gear when the heat is on. Thier fans think G.Rohan is a match winner....
His record in big games when the heat is on much like the Clubs speaks for itself

We are looking bloody strong. Hopefully the gods will smile.

I can only see us being beaten one of three ways:

1. Precision Possession based football to work through our defensive setup. No one is looking solid in the league at the moment and I think our defence is right on form at the moment with wingers and midfielders helping down back so we can slingshot forward.

2. Getting smashed in clearances against a team that has the ability to really punish you for it - mainly with a dominant big forward clunking the ball going in quickly. Port this year, Pies and Dogs in 2018. Port game this year especially interesting - Dixon killed us and we were smashed in clearances. I think a fit Astbury is a huge in for us - allows backup if the inexperienced Balta having a bad day, just more grunt, and can take the second tall against a team like WCE. I can’t see Port/Cats/WCE winning without huge games from their monster forwards and again our defence is miserly and well structured.

3. Just plain old being unlucky - injuries - especially in game with fewer rotations, costly umpires, an oppo team having a one off four quarter game out of the box, illness in the camp, the bus breaking down on the way to the game........

We are favourites for a reason and should have some confidence in our system.

1. Precision Possession based football to work through our defensive setup. No one is looking solid in the league at the moment and I think our defence is right on form at the moment with wingers and midfielders helping down back so we can slingshot forward.

2. Getting smashed in clearances against a team that has the ability to really punish you for it - mainly with a dominant big forward clunking the ball going in quickly. Port this year, Pies and Dogs in 2018. Port game this year especially interesting - Dixon killed us and we were smashed in clearances. I think a fit Astbury is a huge in for us - allows backup if the inexperienced Balta having a bad day, just more grunt, and can take the second tall against a team like WCE. I can’t see Port/Cats/WCE winning without huge games from their monster forwards and again our defence is miserly and well structured.

3. Just plain old being unlucky - injuries - especially in game with fewer rotations, costly umpires, an oppo team having a one off four quarter game out of the box, illness in the camp, the bus breaking down on the way to the game........

Second point is the one that worries me most, even freo absolutely slaughtered us in the middle, with more polish around the ball and a solid fwd line they beat us. Edwards and potentially Dion back is huge in that regard. We can cop losing clearances etc. and usually do, but we have to make sure we don't get belted in that area

1 and 2 go together IMO. If we get truly smashed in clearances then we'll get beaten as it will allow the oppo to play precision football. To me a true clearance should be counted with the first clean possession - a clean possession is a possession that is controlled enough to allow them to give off with precision ie maintain possession. This is where the clearance stat falls down - there are clearances and then there are clean clearances. I'd love to see a stat that shows how many clean clearances teams get against us versus how many turnovers after the initial possession.

Cats just don't have that extra gear when the heat is on. Thier fans think G.Rohan is a match winner....
His record in big games when the heat is on much like the Clubs speaks for itself
His name is Gary. With one 'r', so of course he's a champion to Geelong.

A bit like Hawthorn and Mitchell Lewis. With that name, they had to have him.

Some of you were so close to jumping off the ship early in the season

Loungey tbh I like to write us off at least once per premiership year. Then, unlike the groundhog day, know the future in advance misery that you are stuck in, I get the pleasant surprise of us lifting against all logical reasoning to take out yet another trophy cabinet clogger. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back