News Richmond cheer squad being surveilled by undercover AFL spotters after umpire abuse

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
I might be the only one expressing this view, but my family footy experience has frequently been compromised by aggressive, foul mouth opposition supporters.

For every fight that breaks out, there are 50+ that almost do. I think crowd behaviour has got worse and it effects my decision to go to games.

Personally I'm not concerned by a crackdown, perhaps it is over the top, but I think something needs to be done.

I can understand if they are getting in peoples faces or swearing excessively, but people should never be threatened eviction just for being loud.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
To be honest, I went to Collingwood v Melbourne and saw no evidence of crowd change. Still some very vocal fans where I stood; still some obnoxious ones; and still some who have no idea and think the free kick count should be 45-0 their teams way. That said, it was just one game!

I can understand if they are getting in peoples faces or swearing excessively, but people should never be threatened eviction just for being loud.

This is where we perish. I have no problem with what you have just said, most won't. Even Tiger68 might agree with the words, but his frame of reference is probably different.

'Getting in people's faces'. This can mean a variety of things. You can be very bombastic and obnoxious sitting right next to someone and never even look them in the eye, and yet some will be very uncomfortable, even a little fearful of what might be going to occur. The same obnoxious patron could be constantly leaning forward in the seat and within inches of the person in front (just by example), and the aggressor will argue he/she wasn't in anyone's face. He/she takes the literal meaning, while the poor patrons around might, from their frame of reference say that the patron very much is taking a broader meaning into the definition.

'Swearing excessively', I'm sure you can come up with your own multiples of frames of reference.

Loud also can be defined with what accompanies it also.

Personally, I like it all - it's all footy theatre to me. Have taken my daughters to the footy at all sorts of ages. They know this is not normal behavior! This is an outlet and provided it is not physical (again can be problematic depending on your frame of reference), they soon learnt to ignore the buffoons (my youngest would often laugh and whisper in my ear 'he's barracking for the buffoons again isn't he'?)

It takes a fair bit of tolerance to go to the footy. Some people need to assess if they have the will and/or the patience for that. It's not like voting in an election, you don't have to go. It's not like you don't know what to expect either. That said, anyone that feels the need to punch someone because someone else 'gobbed off' (was the term use by a Carlton supporter in explaining their involvement in the fight of the weekend), that's where the crackdown and exlusions and education needs to occur. And yet it was stated that not a Behavioural Officer was in sight - police handled it as they should.

Last edited:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
This is where we perish. I have no problem with what you have just said, most won't. Even Tiger68 might agree with the words, but his frame of reference is probably different.

'Getting in people's faces'. This can mean a variety of things. You can be very bombastic and obnoxious sitting right next to someone and never even look them in the eye and yet some will be very uncomfortable, even a little fearful of what might be going to occur. The same obnoxious patron could be constantly leaning forward in the seat and within inches of the person in front, just by example and the aggressor will argue he/she wasn't in anyone's face and take the literal meaning, while the poor patrons around might, from their frame of reference say that patron very much is taking a broader meaning into the definition.

'Swearing excessively', I'm sure you can come up with your own multiples of frames of reference.

Loud also can be defined with what accompanies it also.

Personally, I like it all - it's footy theatre to me. Have taken my daughters to the footy at all sorts of ages. They know this is not normal behavior. This is an outlet and provided it is not physical (again can be problematic depending on your frame of reference), they soon learnt to ignore the buffoons (my youngest would often laugh and whisper in my ear 'he's barracking for the buffoons again isn't he'?)

It takes a fair bit of tolerance to go to the footy. Some people need to assess if they have the will and patience for that. It's not like voting in an election, you don't have to go. It's not like you don't know what to expect either. That said, anyone that feels to need to punch someone becuase someone else 'gobbed off' was the term use by a Carlton supporter in explaining their involvement in the fight of the weekend, that's where the crackdown and exlusions and education needs to occur. And yet it was stated that not a Behavioural Officer in sight - police handled it as they should.
af98c-this.gif

Ralll

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it's really interesting, an attempt to educate the fanbase on responsible footy behaviour with punishment and/or threats, I look forward to seeing their success or failure, and the response from the football going public. If it gets rid of the aggressive behaviour from the minority and attracts more people to the games, then fine, but you have to wonder what the extra powers given to the overzealous security types will do.

I dont go to watch live very often on account of too many meatheads at the footy pissing me off with ridiculous over the top barracking and aggressive behaviour, so on one hand I should like the crackdown, but it makes me nervous we're getting another step closer to a police state.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I think it's really interesting, an attempt to educate the fanbase on responsible footy behaviour with punishment and/or threats, I look forward to seeing their success or failure, and the response from the football going public. If it gets rid of the aggressive behaviour from the minority and attracts more people to the games, then fine, but you have to wonder what the extra powers given to the overzealous security types will do.

I dont go to watch live very often on account of too many meatheads at the footy pissing me off with ridiculous over the top barracking and aggressive behaviour, so on one hand I should like the crackdown, but it makes me nervous we're getting another step closer to a police state.
Oh that ship has long sailed...

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Some people fail to recognise one of the roles of sport is to provide an outlet for people to vent to prevent them going to jail.

For some footy is an outlet like achohol.

The police will even acknowledge an outlet is needed for social control otherwise it goes underground, drugs go up along with domestic violence and other far harder crimes occur!!!

Why do you think police ignore a lot of minor incidents and concentrate on bigger kingpins like the drug lords and murderers??

Last edited:

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
AS an aside, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes when an entitled Anglo-saxon who has been coming to the footy for say 30 years is 'asked' to leave by one of these Behavioral Officers...... I hope it ends OK.

Entitled hey ... guess cause I’m Anglo I must be then.
However .... if I’m at a game not using foul language or racist/homophobic tones or breaking any law then I will not be thrown out by anyone quietly.

Entitled hey ... guess cause I’m Anglo I must be then.
However .... if I’m at a game not using foul language or racist/homophobic tones or breaking any law then I will not be thrown out by anyone quietly.

Not everyone acts all entitled, but some do - you only needed to hear Kennett's comments. He expanded far more on what I said could become a flash point.
How you are 'thrown out' is as much about response as it is an action.
These comments are why i have posted what and how I've posted. There is a disconnect. The AFL has to do better if it is going to fix that disconnect. The Behavorial Officers have an onerous task as we know it so far. I'd be surprised if they have enough training to do it properly, but if they do, how are the different expectations, interpretations, and assumptions going to be handled if they get it wrong one or more times? That's the thrust of what I'm saying.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I was at the Melb Richmond game ANZAC eve
there was a Richmond supporter nearby that was really pushing my boundaries , the typical booming voice
every time Houli got or went near the ball this guy would call him the burka , ie(beautiful mark by burka , go burka …)
the first time a little amusing , but really wore thin real quick

they were promoting the Dream Time game on the big board and "we really love our coons"

it was meant to be offensive and it was repeated all game long

I was tempted to stand up and say something but didn't want to make a scene and spoil the day for my guest

that sort of behaviour used to be the domain of Collingwood supporters and it would ruin many peoples day at the footy

I was taking a woman in her mid 50' to her second game of AFL , luckily it didn't ruin it for us , we had a great view of Stacks bump on Viney
that was worth the price of the admission so we could over look the pest

but marching up and down like prison warders isn't the way to do it

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I was at the Melb Richmond game ANZAC eve
there was a Richmond supporter nearby that was really pushing my boundaries , the typical booming voice
every time Houli got or went near the ball this guy would call him the burka , ie(beautiful mark by burka , go burka …)
the first time a little amusing , but really wore thin real quick

they were promoting the Dream Time game on the big board and "we really love our coons"

it was meant to be offensive and it was repeated all game long

I was tempted to stand up and say something but didn't want to make a scene and spoil the day for my guest

that sort of behaviour used to be the domain of Collingwood supporters and it would ruin many peoples day at the footy

I was taking a woman in her mid 50' to her second game of AFL , luckily it didn't ruin it for us , we had a great view of Stacks bump on Viney
that was worth the price of the admission so we could over look the pest

but marching up and down like prison warders isn't the way to do it
People who remain silent are just as guilty. You needed to speak up against racism as that behaviour is not on or acceptable anywhere. He’s the type of bloke we don’t need at games 🥵

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
People who remain silent are just as guilty. You needed to speak up against racism as that behaviour is not on or acceptable anywhere. He’s the type of bloke we don’t need at games 🥵
Yeah it is difficult but that is the correct response! :thumbsu:

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I might be the only one expressing this view, but my family footy experience has frequently been compromised by aggressive, foul mouth opposition supporters.

For every fight that breaks out, there are 50+ that almost do. I think crowd behaviour has got worse and it effects my decision to go to games.

Personally I'm not concerned by a crackdown, perhaps it is over the top, but I think something needs to be done.

I'm always amazed just how little fights and poor behaviour I see. Footy is such a primal thing where we have our sides, mix in alcohol and throw in the scientific evidence that sporting results actually impact on mens hormone levels...staggering there aren't way more dust-ups.

I for one am a perfectly reasonably calm person, never fought in my 15 years of playing footy, never get angry or stressed driving my car....but.....if Richmond are losing to a team like GeeLOL my blood isssssss boiling!!! I've never actually been in a fight or even had an verbal go at anyone but I can feel it welling up oooo I can feel it. Then I look around and see everyone perfectly content and calm. It's actually amazing. I started taking my son to the footy at approx 4 years old and we've never had a problem at all.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I'm always amazed just how little fights and poor behaviour I see. Footy is such a primal thing where we have our sides, mix in alcohol and throw in the scientific evidence that sporting results actually impact on mens hormone levels...staggering there aren't way more dust-ups.

I for one am a perfectly reasonably calm person, never fought in my 15 years of playing footy, never get angry or stressed driving my car....but.....if Richmond are losing to a team like GeeLOL my blood isssssss boiling!!! I've never actually been in a fight or even had an verbal go at anyone but I can feel it welling up oooo I can feel it. Then I look around and see everyone perfectly content and calm. It's actually amazing. I started taking my son to the footy at approx 4 years old and we've never had a problem at all.
I'm the same...you have described me to a T... :)
Though i do have a loud and smart mouth when the tigers are playing...yup i admit it!
Loud and smart enought to have provoked two half drunk Crows supporters in the GF to turn around and threaten to spread my nose across my face!
Fortunately the police arrived and removed them just before half time...after also getting a warning from the police to keep my mouth shut as i fare welled the two crows supporters!.....youse are walking as slow as your team are playingggggg!!!! LOL....
And i don't drink at the footy...ever for that very reason...it can get ugly quickly!
Once at Waverly Park just at half time when we were playing the Blues...half the crowd were going around me at the Dandy end goal square at a pre-season game...started like a brush fire...whooshhhhh...

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I also remember a game where we were playing the bumbers in the last game of their permiership season and were not expected to win...
I was sitting next to another tiger's fan over on the wing on the cricket members side...
We were winning and me and the other tiger supporter were paying out on sheedy's bumber side...and every second shout was go Richo!!! go Otto!!!
Ya can't run Rioli ya arse is as big as saddle bags...We are going to win and blahh blahhh this and blahhh blahhh that
...non stop and all the time getting murderous looks from the bumber supporters turning around to look at us!...I thought this is great!!! No backchat from the oppo supporters...so we both ramped it up in volume!!! Finally i turned around only to see about a dozen black dressed mcg security standing behind us...wtf?!?? OOppsssssssssss...

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm the same...you have described me to a T... :)
Though i do have a loud and smart mouth when the tigers are playing...yup i admit it!
Loud and smart enought to have provoked two half drunk Crows supporters in the GF to turn around and threaten to spread my nose across my face!
Fortunately the police arrived and removed them just before half time...after also getting a warning from the police to keep my mouth shut as i fare welled the two crows supporters!.....youse are walking as slow as your team are playingggggg!!!! LOL....
And i don't drink at the footy...ever for that very reason...it can get ugly quickly!
Once at Waverly Park just at half time when we were playing the Blues...half the crowd were going around me at the Dandy end goal square at a pre-season game...started like a brush fire...whooshhhhh...

Bahaha yeah me too. I'm a massive smart arse but only to opposition players, not supporters of course.
That Geelong QF was the greatest game of my life. Me and a mate were quacking, calling out Mr September every time Cads got near it, were roaring out bronxies every time Dangerflog kicked it on the full. The whole bay of Richmond people were all having awesome fun, laughing away and joining in the antics. There was so much harmless carry on, it was great.

As a side note I still stand by the fact that I contributed to that game. In the third Q I think it was when we were just starting to get on top, Cotch had the ball right on the boundary on the wing and was just about to kick the ball inbound, which looked like a real risky kick. I saw Jack free down the line and gave the biggest roar of my life, "DOWN THE LINE". I was about 10m away from the bench and only a few rows back from the fence. Probably 5m away from Cotch. As I called out he changed his decision to kick down the line to Jack. I still believe he thought the direction came from another player or coach. I'd love to try find that moment and see if it was as I remember haha :)

Back