News Richmond cheer squad being surveilled by undercover AFL spotters after umpire abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Wankley is a flog he would prefer the football be played in silence.
He thinks he is above everyone with his intellectual language.
He isn't prepared to listen to the common person, they way he brushed Joffa off is appalling.

He doesn't even speak intellectually. He just speaks in a slow condescending voice. He's a grade A flog

I'm not a fan of Joffa but dead set good on the bloke for making a public statement and taking a stand using what clout he has with his public profile and in charge of the Magpie Squad.

Everyone should get behind it...............

By the fans doing nothing it sends the message that these pricks can do whatever they like with complete disregard for the people who have made the game what it is not these cockroaches.

What a flog....
“I’M ACTUALLY WITH THE AFL ON THIS ONE": RUSSELL'S TAKE ON CROWD BEHAVIOUR
Dwayne Russell has had his say on the AFL’s handling of crowd behaviour, suggesting those complaining about Wednesday’s press release need to read it closer.

The AFL yesterday released a statement explaining why a patron had been removed from Marvel Stadium for abusing umpire Matthew Nicholls.

Many have complained about the statement, suggesting the AFL is intruding on their experience at the footy, without actually telling them what they can and can’t say.

However, Russell believes it’s on the fans attending games to read the environment they’re in and act in a respectful manner.

“I’m actually with the AFL on this one and I’m one of the few who is,” he told SEN SA’s Dwayne’s World.

“An umpire made a complaint this week, it was investigated and the AFL said the fan’s demeaner and the fan’s words – “bald flog” – were actually acceptable.

“So isn’t that actually the perfect scenario? That you can still barrack, there is a level of heckling that the umpires need to tolerate? The AFL has confirmed that by not taking action against the fan.

“I can’t see why people are complaining about that. They’ve investigated it, they’ve realised there is a level of heckling the umpires do need to cope with and you can still barrack as a fan – to me that’s a perfect scenario.”
Russell believes the same people complaining about the lack of clarity in the AFL’s press release would still be whinging had they provided a more comprehensive answer as to what is and is not acceptable at games.

“The AFL put out a press release about fan behaviour yesterday and a lot of people are whinging about it because it failed to say what’s acceptable behaviour and what’s not,” he said.

“To that, I say come on. We’re not all idiots.

“If the AFL put out a press release saying all the things you can and can’t do, and what words you can and can’t say, the exact same people complaining about yesterday’s press release would sook that the AFL was being too controlling.”

Russell went on to break down what the press release was trying to say.

“For the idiots who couldn’t read the AFL’s press release yesterday and understand the vibe of it, let me explain the vibe of it,” he said.

“If you go to an AFL game, you have a responsibility to act like a human being. Buying a ticket is not a license to abuse and be an aggressive wrecker of someone else’s footy experience.

“That’s the parameter, if you need it explained to you. Like you would in any public place where kids might be present and they might be enjoying the good time too, the exact same responsibilities that you have in every other public place as a human being in public is the same at the footy.

“My suggestion is if you haven’t learned that yet, you look around you, you read your environment, and you read the people around you and you act accordingly.

“If you have half a brain, you don’t need a list drawn up by the AFL explaining how to act when you walk into a game of footy, just like you don’t need a list drawn up when you go to the movies and you don’t need a list drawn up when you walk into a pub.”

Collingwood super-fan Jeff “Joffa” Corfe told SEN’s Whateley today that he would be boycotting games until he received an apology from the AFL on behalf of all fans and supporters over this crowd behaviour issue.

“I’m sticking up for all my fellow supporters around Australia and I want an apology from Gil because I think we deserve one with the way that we’ve been spoken about, the way that we’ve been portrayed,” Joffa told Gerard Whateley.

“I’m not going to another game until Gil McLachlan apologises to supporters right across Australia because we are hurting. We are hurting so bad, this is not funny.”

However, Russell has a simple message for the Pies supporter.

“Joffa is threatening to boycott games, Joffa mate, stay home, the game won’t miss you,” he said.

“Collingwood greats like Tony Shaw departed the game and the game immediately moved on so they’re not going to miss the leader of the cheer squad – I reckon they’ll still bounce the ball in the middle.”

Wankley is a flog he would prefer the football be played in silence.
He thinks he is above everyone with his intellectual language.
He isn't prepared to listen to the common person, they way he brushed Joffa off is appalling.

Completely lied about Frank too - said he ran up to the glass barrier to direct the comment at the umps. Turns out that’s where his seat was

Completely lied about Frank too - said he ran up to the glass barrier to direct the comment at the umps. Turns out that’s where his seat was
And joffa called him out on the lie

AFL probably thinks it's an empty threat, but A League crowds (mostly active support groups) started walking out a couple seasons ago and it completely killed the atmosphere both at the game and on TV. Affected the game more because the crowds are much smaller, Victory went from 20k+ home games to averaging only in the teens and it still hasn't recovered. AFL needs to pull its head out of its arse.

AFL probably thinks it's an empty threat, but A League crowds (mostly active support groups) started walking out a couple seasons ago and it completely killed the atmosphere both at the game and on TV. Affected the game more because the crowds are much smaller, Victory went from 20k+ home games to averaging only in the teens and it still hasn't recovered. AFL needs to pull its head out of its arse.

And the a league hasn’t recovered

And you know what Gilligan is as arrogant as gallop

Gill is more cunning than Gallop. Gallop is arrogant but he's transparent and predictable. The sooner the HAL breaks away from the FFA the better and hopefully a new board installs someone else before Gallop completely destroys it.

What a flog....
“I’M ACTUALLY WITH THE AFL ON THIS ONE": RUSSELL'S TAKE ON CROWD BEHAVIOUR
Dwayne Russell has had his say on the AFL’s handling of crowd behaviour, suggesting those complaining about Wednesday’s press release need to read it closer.

The AFL yesterday released a statement explaining why a patron had been removed from Marvel Stadium for abusing umpire Matthew Nicholls.

Many have complained about the statement, suggesting the AFL is intruding on their experience at the footy, without actually telling them what they can and can’t say.

However, Russell believes it’s on the fans attending games to read the environment they’re in and act in a respectful manner.

“I’m actually with the AFL on this one and I’m one of the few who is,” he told SEN SA’s Dwayne’s World.

“An umpire made a complaint this week, it was investigated and the AFL said the fan’s demeaner and the fan’s words – “bald flog” – were actually acceptable.

“So isn’t that actually the perfect scenario? That you can still barrack, there is a level of heckling that the umpires need to tolerate? The AFL has confirmed that by not taking action against the fan.

“I can’t see why people are complaining about that. They’ve investigated it, they’ve realised there is a level of heckling the umpires do need to cope with and you can still barrack as a fan – to me that’s a perfect scenario.”
Russell believes the same people complaining about the lack of clarity in the AFL’s press release would still be whinging had they provided a more comprehensive answer as to what is and is not acceptable at games.

“The AFL put out a press release about fan behaviour yesterday and a lot of people are whinging about it because it failed to say what’s acceptable behaviour and what’s not,” he said.

“To that, I say come on. We’re not all idiots.

“If the AFL put out a press release saying all the things you can and can’t do, and what words you can and can’t say, the exact same people complaining about yesterday’s press release would sook that the AFL was being too controlling.”

Russell went on to break down what the press release was trying to say.

For the idiots who couldn’t read the AFL’s press release yesterday and understand the vibe of it, let me explain the vibe of it,” he said.

“If you go to an AFL game, you have a responsibility to act like a human being. Buying a ticket is not a license to abuse and be an aggressive wrecker of someone else’s footy experience.

“That’s the parameter, if you need it explained to you. Like you would in any public place where kids might be present and they might be enjoying the good time too, the exact same responsibilities that you have in every other public place as a human being in public is the same at the footy.

“My suggestion is if you haven’t learned that yet, you look around you, you read your environment, and you read the people around you and you act accordingly.

If you have half a brain, you don’t need a list drawn up by the AFL explaining how to act when you walk into a game of footy, just like you don’t need a list drawn up when you go to the movies and you don’t need a list drawn up when you walk into a pub.”

Collingwood super-fan Jeff “Joffa” Corfe told SEN’s Whateley today that he would be boycotting games until he received an apology from the AFL on behalf of all fans and supporters over this crowd behaviour issue.

“I’m sticking up for all my fellow supporters around Australia and I want an apology from Gil because I think we deserve one with the way that we’ve been spoken about, the way that we’ve been portrayed,” Joffa told Gerard Whateley.

“I’m not going to another game until Gil McLachlan apologises to supporters right across Australia because we are hurting. We are hurting so bad, this is not funny.”

However, Russell has a simple message for the Pies supporter.

“Joffa is threatening to boycott games, Joffa mate, stay home, the game won’t miss you,” he said.

“Collingwood greats like Tony Shaw departed the game and the game immediately moved on so they’re not going to miss the leader of the cheer squad – I reckon they’ll still bounce the ball in the middle.”

I don't disagree with all that Dwayne said, but wowee, what a condescending twat Dwayne has shown himself to be. Talk about putting every supporter in the idiot category. I always thought Joffa's threat was a bit ill-conceived. Like Gil will ever say sorry to him. Backed himself into a corner has Joffa. Not saying some of what Joffa said has some validity, but he really should have sought some counsel first. Hope he gets what he is after - I just doubt it.

I don't disagree with all that Dwayne said, but wowee, what a condescending twat Dwayne has shown himself to be. Talk about putting every supporter in the idiot category. I always thought Joffa's threat was a bit ill-conceived. Like Gil will ever say sorry to him. Backed himself into a corner has Joffa. Not saying some of what Joffa said has some validity, but he really should have sought some counsel first. Hope he gets what he is after - I just doubt it.

Yeah

He makes decent points but it’s a disgustingly pretentious and patronising article.

No one will listen to you when you treat them like peasants. What an absolutely knob jockey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallop was the NRL CEO when the NRL was in decline. He's not arrogant, he's ignorant. Not smart enough to be arrogant. Gil is arrogance trying to look like he is on the fan's side. The single biggest problem for people in hios sort of position and role, and the many in the media, is they have privileged seating and viewing rights. They don't really know what it's like in the cheap seats - probably never ever sat there. They have 'people' tell them what it is like and he relies on that advice. Nothing wrong with that perhaps, but there is enough evidence to say there is a disconnect between perception and reality.

I have said this has been brewing since the Adam Goodes documentary became a thing in planning. We'll see it on Channel 10 and draw our own conclusions I guess, but no doubt there have been high level discussions about the duty of care toward abuse in general and how the the AFL must assume and use it's resources to protect it's stakeholders. Another layer to this is that the MCC has it's own layer of rules of behavior on top of the so-called AFL duty of care.

The pressure the AFL is also under with possible discontent from the umpires regarding abuse adds to the mix. You can see something has been discussed and structures established, or else why have these couple of issues sprung up (green maggot / bald flog). Clearly there has been a structure established with increased numbers of security or similar trying to 'police' specific behavior, particularly abuse. Stop the abuse, limit the damage and therefore liability risks.

Then we have the patrons inside and outside the grounds becoming involved in altercations this season in particular, but there were issues the last few seasons, nothing major (unless you are the poor bastards involved on the receiving end).

In the current environment there is no question the AFL has a responsibility to protect it's patrons and stakeholders. It can't turn a blind a eye. It's a delicate task. It appears to be attempting to pick out the rotters, the ones it views as the start of problems. Good luck with that.

Clubs have Codes of Conduct! I couldn't quickly locate Richmond's but I'm sure they are very similar.

The North Melbourne Football Club is a proud, family friendly club that seeks to ensure all supporters enjoy the football in a friendly and safe environment.

Whilst barracking and supporting the players is a part of the game, offensive language and behaviour is not and won’t be tolerated.

For the enjoyment of all patrons, North Melbourne expects supporters to:

- Be considerate of others
- Conduct themselves in a manner that does not harm the reputation of the club
- Obey any terms of entry at a venue, including bag inspections, prohibited and restricted items

North Melbourne considers the following to be inappropriate:

- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Smoking inside the venue
- Racial taunts
- Threatening behaviour
- Offensive language, gestures or behaviour towards other patrons and players
- Any form of abuse, physical or verbal
- Any form of
discrimination or harassment
- Damage to property
- Bronx cheers

Any person that does not obey this code of conduct may be removed from the stadium and may incur suspension of membership, depending on the severity of the behaviour.

Please advise security if you experience any difficulties with the behaviour of other patrons, and they will act appropriately to address the issue.

Alternatively, we recommend utilising the 'Dob in a Hoon' initiative at Etihad Stadium.

Patrons can SMS the nature of the problem and location to 0427 767 768. This number is immediately responded to by Event Control. Patrons are able to discretely report issues by using this service.
I'm not aware of one, haven;t seen it printed and screwed to walls. That would seem to be the most transparent way to begin the process

These sorts of things are often written to catch as much as possible. They are also designed with ultimate enforcement in mind, and not with any educative process, evidentiary requirements or procedural fairness considered. They assume the arbiter of the behavior is correct in every instance. I can understand that that for say a printed sign for the benefit of brevity, but this not sufficient I would have thought for full disclosure where the full Code of Conduct can be viewed. There are people expected decide on possible breaches who frankly I wouldn't trust to carry my bus ticket. It's all a question of appropriateness.

Last edited:
Probably nothing for the AFL to worry about, but the crowd was down significantly on previous Adelaide Oval matches between the clubs. A split round and a Thursday night, but no rain after 9am and a relatively mild winter's evening.

40,837 2019 (Thu night)
49,743 2018 (Thu night)
51,069 2017 (Sun twilight)
49,116 2015 (Fri night)
50,459 2014 (Sat night)

Probably nothing to worry about...

Enjoyed Dimma using the Stack/Betts thing to have a crack.

"We like to celebrate don’t we? They’re not throwing Sydney out of the stadium for that are they? For celebrating (with) the opposition. That’s allowed? Just in case the AFL doesn’t want us congratulating the other players. Just saying, just be careful."

Might be a 'please explain' coming up.

Enjoyed Dimma using the Stack/Betts thing to have a crack.

"We like to celebrate don’t we? They’re not throwing Sydney out of the stadium for that are they? For celebrating (with) the opposition. That’s allowed? Just in case the AFL doesn’t want us congratulating the other players. Just saying, just be careful."

Might be a 'please explain' coming up.
I loved that also, it's about time we start seeing the real Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Back