Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I still haven't heard a plausible reason why Blakely didn't play. One reason given by Ross was you don't change a side that's doing well. Hello coaching panel we lost against Adelaide.:rolleyes:
I thought there would me more said about Connors omission. Thought Ross would have caught more flak over it. Connor instead of Colyer could have made all the difference.
The reason given is that he has played 2 games since June last year and on top of that missed most of this year’s pre-season. He obviously went a long way to dispelling those concerns with his last training session (by being put on the emergency list) so you would think he would be in this week.

We're rebuilding right? So Cerra's midfield minutes should be higher than what they currently are. His confidence playing out of position would be taking a hit.
Are we still rebuilding though?

Ross has only debut 1 player this year (Schultz) who was dropped after Round 3 and again in Round 5. Banflield (21 yrs) was dropped after 3 games (R1 20p 7m/R2 9T) and McCarthy (23 yrs) after 6 games and 10 goals.

North, Meek, Sturt, Valente, Bewley, Carter, Watson and Dixon have had zero exposure to AFL level football.

Darcy and Blakely languish in the seconds.

You could make a very strong case that the rebuild has finished and Ross is done looking to the future.

The reason given is that he has played 2 games since June last year and on top of that missed most of this year’s pre-season. He obviously went a long way to dispelling those concerns with his last training session (by being put on the emergency list) so you would think he would be in this week.

Don't buy that, if he was fit enough to be placed on the emergency list he was right to go. Did Bewley suddenly become to unfit to be an emergency?

I thought that a super disappointing performance.

Our backline were terrible. The ball was coming in clean and quick, which didn't help them, but that aside they were close on uncompetitive. We know they are better than that, so I guess we review and move on.

With Ryan and Wilson having bad games, and BHill and Langdon well beaten, we had no ability to move the ball. A new problem for the coaching panel.

We had no idea what to do with Richmond's spread. An old problem for the coaching panel.

Our forward line is dysfunctional. A very old problem for the coaching panel.

I have said this before - in Project Management you always start work early on tasks that are high risk or ill understood. It seems to me that our approach of building a backline and then a midfield and then thinking about the forwards is the exact opposite of this philosophy for us. There is definitely an argument that if your not getting the ball in the forwards can't do much, but we surely need to focus on the forward line now. We have no tactics, no structure and never ever try anything different.

By year end, I feel like the coaching panel need to show that they can make a reasonably functional forward line, and can find a way to play against Hawthorn, Brisbane and the Eagles. Address the biggest problems, and then concentrate on incremental improvement.

As I’ve said before I made a conscious decision after the 2015 preliminary final loss to never feel that bad about a game of football ever again
It’s just a game fellas move on
Tell you what though , I did think, geez I hope that’s not the loss which turns our season into another mid to low ladder finishing shemozzle
I was gutted after 2015 as well and have since made a conscious decision to try and keep it in perspective.

However I will still get annoyed when we put up such a poor performance against a very weak opposition at home with so much to play for.

Going to be like last year i am afraid , We were 4 wins and 4 losses at the same time last year only percentage is a bit better this year. And only won another 4 for the rest of the season. On yesterdays performance i would say a repeat of that crap is on the cards.
Our list on paper is so much better this year than last, especially the spine. We still have players to come in after
being injured.
We need to play a more natural attacking game, roll the dice and keep the faith. Every time we go back to the future
Freo look slow, fumbly, unskilled.
Sure we win the contested ball, inside 50's numbers are good, lies and statistics.
Uncontested marks, possessions are a better indicator, opposition don't have the ball, less turn overs or rebound.
We have the talls to stretch, spread the opposition, outside run, yet still revert back to trying to win ugly, stop the
bleeding.
All the best22 brought in to improve our scoring, outside run have gone backwards?
Apparently it's the players fault not the instructions that make us second guess, Kelly would be a waste of time here.

Looks done just playing in the backline. Hes only19/20. Seems to be up and down a lot with form which could likely be due to fatigue.

Hmm, I’ve got to say I’m not convinced. You’d need a fairly high endurance to play in defence these days. I wonder what his kms covered are in comparison to say Brayshaw or Walters?

Age shouldn’t be a barrier either. Plenty of 18, 19 and 20 yo’s handle it including our very own Brayshaw.

What was his beep test result at the draft camp?

Hmm, I’ve got to say I’m not convinced. You’d need a fairly high endurance to play in defence these days. I wonder what his kms covered are in comparison to say Brayshaw or Walters?

Age shouldn’t be a barrier either. Plenty of 18, 19 and 20 yo’s handle it including our very own Brayshaw.

He missed the majority of last pre season . This year is realistically his first full pre season. He had a shoulder injury which restricted his weight training. Brayshaw has completed his full 2 years of training blocks.

He didn't test at the combine and didn't run in that period either because of an injury and subsequent poor advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list on paper is so much better this year than last, especially the spine. We still have players to come in after
being injured.
We need to play a more natural attacking game, roll the dice and keep the faith. Every time we go back to the future
Freo look slow, fumbly, unskilled.
Sure we win the contested ball, inside 50's numbers are good, lies and statistics.
Uncontested marks, possessions are a better indicator, opposition don't have the ball, less turn overs or rebound.
We have the talls to stretch, spread the opposition, outside run, yet still revert back to trying to win ugly, stop the
bleeding.
All the best22 brought in to improve our scoring, outside run have gone backwards?
Apparently it's the players fault not the instructions that make us second guess, Kelly would be a waste of time here.
The reason why they looked slow, fumbly and unskilled yesterday was because of Richmond's pressure. The Tigers were intense at the contest and that created a lot of inferred pressure as the game wore on.

Their red-hot start certainly only added to that.

Richmond were intent on running in waves and definitely had extra numbers at the contest. They were very disciplined on how they executed that and were often amazingly well placed for the loose ball or spillage. Their forward line was often empty as a result.

Not sure why people are so angry - we’ve had some good results this season, in what’s been a weird season for most teams in the AFL. Just have to come away with the loss and go “well, that didn’t work out - let’s try something different”.

After Richmond got away with those 4 early goals I was expecting a massive flogging. A 27 point loss is OK and would have been worse if Richmond were full strength.

Did people honestly think we were GF favourites this year or something?!?

I know a lot of you whinging don’t even go to their games. I’ll still be there week in and week out. There were a lot of empty seats yesterday and we were surrounded by Tigers supporters. Couldn’t turn the tv off and stayed until the end!

Kicking efficiency’s yesterday.
Switta Hamling Nyhuis 100%
Cox 88.9%
Tabs 75%
Fyfe 73.3%
Hogan 71.4%
Mundy 68.2%
Ryan 68.8%
Pearce 66.7%
Langdon 60%
Tucker 50%

So we had 12 guys 50% or higher by foot. That’s terrible..

Hill 45.5%
Matera & Colyer 44.4%
Wilson 42.9%
Conca & Walters 41.7%
Lobb 36.4%
Cerra 28.6%
Hughes 25%
Brayshaw 20%

All these guys need a serious rocket.

To give some contrast, Richmond had 4 guys under 50% by foot. That’s the game right there
And yet people are taking a swipe at Hogan - perhaps the inefficient ones could have delivered better to him and a few others?

The reason why they looked slow, fumbly and unskilled yesterday was because of Richmond's pressure. The Tigers were intense at the contest and that created a lot of inferred pressure as the game wore on.

Their red-hot start certainly only added to that.

Richmond were intent on running in waves and definitely had extra numbers at the contest. They were very disciplined on how they executed that and were often amazingly well placed for the loose ball or spillage. Their forward line was often empty as a result.

Fremantle players were being sucked into the contest and once the ball got outside the Tigers had players everywhere.

They are taught to play that way. It's always been the hallmark of Ross Lyon's game plan to get numbers to the contest. It's the one constant.
It's the execution. The players were terrible yesterday with disposal and awareness at the contest.

Not sure why people are so angry - we’ve had some good results this season, in what’s been a weird season for most teams in the AFL. Just have to come away with the loss and go “well, that didn’t work out - let’s try something different”.

After Richmond got away with those 4 early goals I was expecting a massive flogging. A 27 point loss is OK and would have been worse if Richmond were full strength.

I know a lot of you whinging don’t even go to their games. I’ll still be there week in and week out. There were a lot of empty seats yesterday and we were surrounded by Tigers supporters. Couldn’t turn the tv off and stayed until the end!
Thank you for a little perspective FreoGirl - I certainly needed it.

Respect for going to the games week in and out, its a significant financial commitment especially once you add in the beer which is compulsory for me!

And yet people are taking a swipe at Hogan - perhaps the inefficient ones could have delivered better to him and a few others?

It’s natural for people to blame high profile recruits and coaches.

Hogan probably could be doing more, he kicked 2 though. Keep in mind he’d been playing with Melb mids for a long time, he’s 7 games in here. Give it a chance to gel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back