Autopsy Richmond d Freo Rd 8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
It’s natural for people to blame high profile recruits and coaches.

Hogan probably could be doing more, he kicked 2 though. Keep in mind he’d been playing with Melb mids for a long time, he’s 7 games in here. Give it a chance to gel
I saw him post something about the death of his dad recently - who knows how much that plays on his mind?

If the rest of the team keep kicking it over his head, he can’t be a magician!

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hogan probably could be doing more, he kicked 2 though. Keep in mind he’d been playing with Melb mids for a long time, he’s 7 games in here. Give it a chance to gel

I never watched Melbourne religiously enough to know for sure, but did he ever have to spoil a player from his own defensive goalsquare playing for Melbourne?

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Well, the team still sucks. That's OK, they're still my team, and, let's face it, I've kinda got used to it. 25 years and counting and only what, 3 decent seasons? 4? Meh. Not even pretenders for another season.

Fyfe... I love the guy's effort, and his skill level is amazing. He's basically Dusty Martin if Dusty had amazingly fast, clean hands. And a bit more of a mean streak. Another suspension coming up.

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/pe...er-collapsing-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881196995z

I saw this going on in block 117 or 118 in the last quarter. Hopefully he pulled through: they were working on him for a solid 20 minutes before they were able to move him out of the ground. They even evacuated the entire block of supporters with 5 minutes to go in the game and blocked off the walkway behind it after the siren.

Credit to the members of the public who performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hogan's also had no real preseason to speak of. When did he join the full group proper, a week before the season started? Given that, he's going alright.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well, the team still sucks. That's OK, they're still my team, and, let's face it, I've kinda got used to it. 25 years and counting and only what, 3 decent seasons? 4? Meh. Not even pretenders for another season.

Fyfe... I love the guy's effort, and his skill level is amazing. He's basically Dusty Martin if Dusty had amazingly fast, clean hands. And a bit more of a mean streak. Another suspension coming up.
If it’s true that he connected with the other player’s arm and not his head, should he really be suspended for what ‘could have happened’?

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle players were being sucked into the contest and once the ball got outside the Tigers had players everywhere.
There was a bit of that for sure, but Richmond often just had more numbers there and probably trusted their guys to win the contest. Freo often had numbers outside the contest too, but many times nowhere near as many and positioned in a wider spread.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/pe...er-collapsing-at-optus-stadium-ng-b881196995z

I saw this going on in block 117 or 118 in the last quarter. Hopefully he pulled through: they were working on him for a solid 20 minutes before they were able to move him out of the ground. They even evacuated the entire block of supporters with 5 minutes to go in the game and blocked off the walkway behind it after the siren.

Credit to the members of the public who performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.
Same - am so glad the person didn’t die!

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan's also had no real preseason to speak of. When did he join the full group proper, a week before the season started? Given that, he's going alright.

This has to be considered when we discuss Hogan - he runs until spent all game, is very clean off the ground and with his hands - is a smart forward who is making good leads and being missed time and again. The combination of the preseason and delivery would be incredibly frustrating.

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
If it’s true that he connected with the other player’s arm and not his head, should he really be suspended for what ‘could have happened’?
Of course not! But since when has the AFL let that get in the way of suspending a Freo player? Remember when Fyfe got suspended for bumping some guy fairly and having an accidental head clash? And he'd likely otherwise have two Brownlows?

Compare to that time when Chris Judd deliberately elbowed Pav in the face, breaking his nose, and the tribunal said... oh, that was definitely accidental

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought that a super disappointing performance.

Our backline were terrible. The ball was coming in clean and quick, which didn't help them, but that aside they were close on uncompetitive. We know they are better than that, so I guess we review and move on.

With Ryan and Wilson having bad games, and BHill and Langdon well beaten, we had no ability to move the ball. A new problem for the coaching panel.

We had no idea what to do with Richmond's spread. An old problem for the coaching panel.

Our forward line is dysfunctional. A very old problem for the coaching panel.

I have said this before - in Project Management you always start work early on tasks that are high risk or ill understood. It seems to me that our approach of building a backline and then a midfield and then thinking about the forwards is the exact opposite of this philosophy for us. There is definitely an argument that if your not getting the ball in the forwards can't do much, but we surely need to focus on the forward line now. We have no tactics, no structure and never ever try anything different.

By year end, I feel like the coaching panel need to show that they can make a reasonably functional forward line, and can find a way to play against Hawthorn, Brisbane and the Eagles. Address the biggest problems, and then concentrate on incremental improvement.

Yep if we dont fire defencively or get towelled up through the centre we cant absorb the pressure for long enough to get our forwards into the game and score from limited oppurtunities like teams with good attacking plans have.

We can always blame the players skills, positioning and awareness for missed scoring oppurtunities but at the end of the day theres no plan B except bomb it to the hotspot. Atleast in years gone by we could count on some solid defensive pressure from Mayne & Ballas to lock the ball in but with the way the rules have changed its not that easy anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of course not! But since when has the AFL let that get in the way of suspending a Freo player? Remember when Fyfe got suspended for bumping some guy fairly and having an accidental head clash? And he'd likely otherwise have two Brownlows?

Compare to that time when Chris Judd deliberately elbowed Pav in the face, breaking his nose, and the tribunal said... oh, that was definitely accidental
Well, Fyfe did also get done for whacking Jordan Lewis that year (which was also one that slipped up off the upper arm and Lewis went down like a brick hit him, only to be seemingly unaffected a few moments later once the free had been run and won).

Fyfe looked pretty out of sorts yesterday. He struggled to gather anything cleanly at all and was affecting the contest as much as he does if he's at full capacity.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
The most frustrating thing for me watching the game was the number of hack kicks of ours.
I'm not just referring to the hack kicks due to pressure, but the hack kicks by players just wanting to pass the possession problem to someone else.

This and the pathetic quality of our fwd50 entries had me fuming.

Special mention also goes to Hogan for dawdling around/looking generally disinterested every time he dropped a mark

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The most frustrating thing for me watching the game was the number of hack kicks of ours.
I'm not just referring to the hack kicks due to pressure, but the hack kicks by players just wanting to pass the possession problem to someone else.

Special mention also goes to Hogan for dawdling around/looking generally disinterested every time he dropped a mark
Didn’t see him dawdling but he was certainly limping - hope his injury isn’t back

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Well, Fyfe did also get done for whacking Jordan Lewis that year (which was also one that slipped up off the upper arm and Lewis went down like a brick hit him, only to be seemingly unaffected a few moments later once the free had been run and won).

Fyfe's got a bit of a mean streak on the field, IMO. Which isn't to have a a go at him; most of the really good players seem to have one.

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
The very young players need time to develop into quality midfielders we have 2 mature bodies that should be given some time through there and they are Hughes and Nyhuis . Both have the strength through the core , both are good users of the ball and they are both duel sided . They can be rotated off the HBF and Duman as the reserve can cover for them when they are switched into the midfield .

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The very young players need time to develop into quality midfielders we have 2 mature bodies that should be given some time through there and they are Hughes and Nyhuis . Both have the strength through the core , both are good users of the ball and they are both duel sided . They can be rotated off the HBF and Duman as the reserve can cover for them when they are switched into the midfield .
Not sure about Nyhuis. But absolutely Hughes. Think his run through the middle would be hugely beneficial. Plus he’s tall, whereas Langdon and Hill are too short to battle against bigger, taller bodies. McIntosh is an example. Like I said, he just pushed around Langdon all day, plus he’s fast. He went forward and kicked a goal. Hughes is 188cm can go forward. Duman should take his spot in the half back, drop Colyer and Ethan is an upgrade. Has had two solid pre seasons under his belt. Why not

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Not sure why people are so angry - we’ve had some good results this season, in what’s been a weird season for most teams in the AFL. Just have to come away with the loss and go “well, that didn’t work out - let’s try something different”.

After Richmond got away with those 4 early goals I was expecting a massive flogging. A 27 point loss is OK and would have been worse if Richmond were full strength.

Did people honestly think we were GF favourites this year or something?!?

I know a lot of you whinging don’t even go to their games. I’ll still be there week in and week out. There were a lot of empty seats yesterday and we were surrounded by Tigers supporters. Couldn’t turn the tv off and stayed until the end!
For me, it's the frustration. Richmond have serious injury problems and were flogged by Western Bulldogs the week before (who we beat). This was a really good opportunity not only for the season but for the kids who are in the rebuild. We finally would be able to start seeing some results on the ladder! These opportunities just don't present themselves all that often, so I was frustrated we didn't take it. really it was:
-We were at home
-Richmond missing huge players
-Richmond belted by WB
-Freo list in good shape
-Good wins against North and GWS gave me hope.

I was certainly thinking we were in with a chance.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

When a team's gone through the day with zero breathing space to gather and dispose of the ball, they can tend to jump at shadows and second guess themselves.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
For me, it's the frustration. Richmond have serious injury problems and were flogged by Western Bulldogs the week before (who we beat). This was a really good opportunity not only for the season but for the kids who are in the rebuild. We finally would be able to start seeing some results on the ladder! These opportunities just don't present themselves all that often, so I was frustrated we didn't take it. really it was:
-We were at home
-Richmond missing huge players
-Richmond belted by WB
-Freo list in good shape
-Good wins against North and GWS gave me hope.

I was certainly thinking we were in with a chance.
Sure,but we disappointed GWS and they picked themselves back up, WCE got flogged by Port and at home and are now back up the ladder - that’s the unpredictability of football.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Sure,but we disappointed GWS and they picked themselves back up, WCE got flogged by Port and at home and are now back up the ladder - that’s the unpredictability of football.
Then let’s back it up against Essendon.. we’re in a funk now. And 3 games in a row, we re going to lose slip of the season. Our best footy can get us into the finals. That’s up to the coaching staff on how ruthless they want to be.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Then let’s back it up against Essendon.. we’re in a funk now. And 3 games in a row, we re going to lose slip of the season. Our best footy can get us into the finals. That’s up to the coaching staff on how ruthless they want to be.

I think a lot will rest on what happens to Fyfe tonight - with him, the next two games are certainly ones we can have a good crack at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back