Autopsy Richmond defeats Geelong by 3 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it hilarious how salty Richmond supporters are getting over Scott's comments in his post-match press conference. Fact is he was saying the same things re. Richmond not being unbeatable after the Brisbane game the week before. This in the Sunday Herald Sun on July 29:

Not a peep heard from the Tigger nuffies then, but now he's repeated it after the game, all hell has broken loose. :rolleyes:

Then there is this crap some Tigger supporters are sprouting on the main board that they were only going at 85% on Friday night. I'm sure the Geelong team who won 3 flags in 5 years, the Hawks sides of the 80s and other great sides would see this as a challenge and go all out to demolish anyone who dared question their credentials and prove they were kidding themselves and put a massive dent in their confidence in the process. Hell, I remember back at the start of 2008 we played Essendon after they ran all over North Melbourne in the first round and loudly boasted they were going to do the same to us a week later. Fast forward 7 days, and we put them to the sword by 99 points.

That's what good teams do - put challengers in their place when being challenged, not "go at 85%" like our bandwagonning friends are suggesting.
Didn't they record their highest pressure rating of the season. Doesn't sound like a team only going at 85%

it was 13/3 frees our way during the first half. The deliberate OOB that should have been paid against us 10 minutes into the first was laughable. The short incident where he should have got two frees and we got a goal from it, was very lucky. We were fined 2k for it yet we got a free and goaled from it. Abbot also got soft free for a goal.

Farcial to think with that count at half time we were somehow disadvantaged.

To be frank, I rarely complain about umpires. My thinking is they are human + we all make mistakes, it's just that sometimes there are blatant mistakes.

We did get a terrific run with the umpires, which I posted in the Game Day thread. However, I also agree with steady2 there were some mistakes + that was the point of my post.

Richmond also were given a good go in the second half. On the whole, the umpiring was of a very good standard, wonder if umpire cam influenced more balanced umpiring? Ultimately, it's kind of irrelevant, it was a cracking game, both sides played well + I was delighted to see Geelong stand up, especially at the end to come within three points. Very pleased with our performance on the MCG + to be the team to give Richmond a fright.

We got a good run in the first half for sure -but most of them were there. Richmond has a similar count against other teams doesn’t it? So maybe it’s their game style contributing. I can think of a couple of deliberate oob’s in the second half that should have been paid against them and a number of incorrect disposals we should have been given. It’s swings and roundabouts and didn’t affect the result. No big deal.

13/3 is a good go .. we can’t complain .. I think the final count was 23/13...I just think this is the wrong game for us to be complaining in any way about umpires

Im comfortable in my position that Geelong best chance is to embrace attack, to work on being more fluid and direct, to be willing to absorb a number of goals if we do turn it over or fritter chances .. and we are not seeing what we could be yet. The team has not played that way all year so the more they play that way the better they will get at it. We got the closest anyone has got to beating the Tigers at the G..thru this down the guts attack. Will it work as well next time? I suspect we will need to add another tweak..but Im happier than trying to just keep possession.

You?

Think the way we played was the perfect approach to beating Richmond.

Very methodical calculated movement down the line that was risk free locking in the Richmond structures down thr line then creating that central switch and opening them up.

Thought at times we got a bit too attacking throughout the game by hand and coughed it up for easy turnover goals that where quite unecessary and ran ourselves into a knot. Other times we just let ourselves down badly with poor kicking.

Overall it’s definitely the blueprint to beat Richmond. We just need to marginalize the errors and turnovers and next time we win.

Very methodical calculated movement down the line that was risk free locking in the Richmond structures down thr line then creating that central switch and opening them up.

Thought at times we got a bit too attacking throughout the game by hand and coughed it up for easy turnover goals that where quite unecessary and ran ourselves into a knot. Other times we just let ourselves down badly with poor kicking.

Overall it’s definitely the blueprint to beat Richmond. We just need to marginalize the errors and turnovers and next time we win.

It was the blue print. it will need adjustment if we play them again... I suspect if any team can do it GWS can do it

13/3 is a good go .. we can’t complain .. I think the final count was 23/13...I just think this is the wrong game for us to be complaining in any way about umpires

Who’s complaining? People are analysing as far as I can see. Capcotch is a very smelly player these days. Trying the wretch Gaj’s bad shoulder is pretty doggy breath.

Can’t think any of those frees in the first half that weren’t there. Just there were more.

But I don’t think it contributed to the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As long as they don’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Surprising to see Kelly got 5 from both coaches. His ballwinning was superb but he drove me insane with his turnovers from indiscriminate no-look kicks particularly in the first quarter.
When you get that much ball and are consistently picking up the ball in the wet without slowing down and then shimmying past opponents like they are stuck in mud then it doesn’t really matter if you spray a third of your kicks. You are still streets ahead best on ground.

It was the blue print. it will need adjustment if we play them again... I suspect if any team can do it GWS can do it
Agree, but injuries are going to stifle them.
I see the winner of Haw Gee as their major threat- finals like pressure this week; but we should not forget that they have been beaten reasonably convincingly by WCE, Port, Adelaide and just by GWS. Will the G again lead to a reversal in those outcomes?

Any team can do it, so GWS are included in that. But at most four teams will get the shot and all four of those would be outsiders to start with...

I would love to play them again. Nowhere to hide and everything to gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost being the operative word. And when Lambert and Martin were two of Richmond's better players, I don't buy that they as a collective got "destroyed". As much as we desperately want to exaggerate everything.
It's my opinion watching the game. I did only view from the comforts of my lounge chair so you don't always see everything but our midfield won that battle quite comfortably from my viewing point.

It’s the truth though HK
People who cry for him to play forward make me want to scream, he can’t take a mark to save himself

He cannot take an overhead mark, to play semantics ;)

Exactly. We constantly over handballed and turned the ball over. You could see it happening time and time again. We just had to get it forward and try to get numbers to the ball - the way Richmond plays.

I thought that Kelly was outstanding. I'm not surprised at the coaches votes.

We definitely overhand balled, kicked inaccurately, causing turnovers + it was exasperating. Kelly did it too, however, he was terrific at moving the ball out of congestion, you can see him thinking/anticipating his next move. I think we need to remember that it's Kelly's first year in the AFL + playing against Richmond, players are affected by their speed + pressure. I think the best example of Kelly's workrate was when Abbott + Cotchin were pursuing the ball, Cotchin grabbed his right arm, pulling him out of play, but Richmond turned over the ball. Geelong moved the ball quickly, in a run against the play + Kelly's goal resulted. That was an example of how we took Richmond out of the game, playing it on our terms. Kelly certainly deserved the votes.

Kitty why in the Rich thread?
Preemptively declaring an autopsy? Seems a tad pessimistic

My mistake! Had quite a shock yesterday, my darling housekeeper's house caught fire + was badly damaged. So obviously, I wasn't concentrating.

No Landgraft, I'm not ready for a post mortem just yet.

Goodness, I hope she's okay.
Thanks, she's very shaken + very upset. She'd had a handyman there in the morning to clean the flue + the chinaman's hat on top of the flue. Very fortunate she was in the house, just sitting watching TV, smelt smoke, looked up + the ceiling was on fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back