Autopsy Richmond defeats Geelong by 3 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about this extra minute theory as tuggers had possession in fwd 50 as siren went.

We had our chances. I’m with you on Duncan, Joel and Paddy who are all sub their normal std for past 4-5 weeks. Its literally as Gaj has worked into form they’ve worked themselves out of it.

Big test this weekend with the clean hands of the hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We would have taken it out again and down to our forwards-we were really controlling the play-they were just hanging on.
Yep-Duncan is getting plenty of the ball but not executing his skills quite as well and so slow- playing on and getting caught by Caddy-comon Mitch -there is always a Richmond player right there! He was running forward several times-which is good- but getting caught as he kicked it and not nailing the pass in his usual fashion-it was pretty costly. Anyway, he can improve no worries and it’s a bit mean of me to target someone who has been so consistently good-it’s just you notice the difference when he’s not quite as good as it impacts on us. Not sure why our skills are so ordinary at the moment but if everyone can pick that up just 10%, we are a good chance in any game. Comon lads.

Coaches Votes

RICHMOND v GEELONG
10 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
8 Kane Lambert (RICH)
3 Trent Cotchin (RICH)
3 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 Alex Rance (RICH)
2 Jack Riewoldt (RICH)
1 Dustin Martin (RICH)
1 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
That's weird, no Selwood?

As if Rance deserved two points? Or were they for acting/staging/diving? :rolleyes:

I reckon Blitz was better than Lambert.

Martin wasn’t destroyed, he played a good game.

I’d have put Selwood after Kelly and Lambert, but otherwise they were the right players.
In the last quarter when we came back he was only running one way as he did for most of the game hence why our midfield got huge numbers and dominated.

No Selwood? Interesting.
Particularly seeing as how Scott gave 2 votes to either Rance or Riewoldt.
Definitely deserved votes ahead of Danger who fumbled continually and butchered it at times. He tried his guts out and did some good things but it was one of the lesser 39 possession games you're likely to see. Selwood basically did the same as Danger but was cleaner with it.
Just shows the arrogance levels of that team.
In no way what so ever did Cotchin have any bearing on that game.

Shocked Jsel didn’t get a vote and Danger did, Blicavs was massive but I guess only our coach thinks that.
Shambles
Joel was amazing on Friday night and this video backs that up

I'm, totally baffled that Joel didn't get any votes!

I'm, totally baffled that Joel didn't get any votes!
I don't know if Im biased or I don't pay enough attention to stats but I honestly thought Kelly was BOG which I think everyone did and then I would have had Joel right behind him closely followed by Blicavs and Lambert. I think we need a please explain from Hardwick and Scott. Its ridiculous!

I've probably expressed variations of this already but I'm so far from interested in people making excuses for Richmond or trying to diminish our part in what was frankly a very good game.

Anyone who has said we weren't or shouldn't have really been in it is taking the piss. As if Richmond were miles below their best and we played above ourselves. Ultimately the lesson of this match is that Richmond are gettable and we are still capable of being a top team - though we haven't consistently played like it this year.

The weekends games have me really interested in this year's finals, no matter where we feature in it. Looks to me like there will be all eight teams right in the mix.

I've probably expressed variations of this already but I'm so far from interested in people making excuses for Richmond or trying to diminish our part in what was frankly a very good game.

Anyone who has said we weren't or shouldn't have really been in it is taking the piss. As if Richmond were miles below their best and we played above ourselves. Ultimately the lesson of this match is that Richmond are gettable and we are still capable of being a top team - though we haven't consistently played like it this year.

The weekends games have me really interested in this year's finals, no matter where we feature in it. Looks to me like there will be all eight teams right in the mix.

Don't know what excuses there could be for either team. They had 22 players, so did we. They played very well in patches, so did we. Extremely encouraging the way we were able to finish too.

They're a very good team, and not on top by accident. That should be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. Of course they're "gettable" - they've lost 4 games this year already. Turned out we very nearly caught them but not quite. Doesn't mean we're s**t, just makes this week's game critical.

Coaches Votes

RICHMOND v GEELONG
10 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
8 Kane Lambert (RICH)
3 Trent Cotchin (RICH)
3 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 Alex Rance (RICH)
2 Jack Riewoldt (RICH)
1 Dustin Martin (RICH)
1 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)

Surprising to see Kelly got 5 from both coaches. His ballwinning was superb but he drove me insane with his turnovers from indiscriminate no-look kicks particularly in the first quarter.

His ballwinning was superb but he drove me insane with his turnovers from indiscriminate no-look kicks
I was much happier with the other players approach of 5 handballs and a turnover ..............

I don't know if Im biased or I don't pay enough attention to stats but I honestly thought Kelly was BOG which I think everyone did and then I would have had Joel right behind him closely followed by Blicavs and Lambert. I think we need a please explain from Hardwick and Scott. Its ridiculous!
I think that's a very good assessment + no, not biased.

I'm watching the replay atm, up to Q3 + Selwood's effort is far more effective than Cotchin's. But then, perhaps I'm biased because Cotchin just sh!ts me to tears with his pushing + shoving off play.

Then, that Nankervis flog was punching Abbott :rolleyes: Had a few goes at him. Abbott must do some good sledging because CrankyPantsKervis lost it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprising to see Kelly got 5 from both coaches. His ballwinning was superb but he drove me insane with his turnovers from indiscriminate no-look kicks particularly in the first quarter.

I was screaming at him! If he keeps that up, WC or Freo can have him :p

I think Kelly will improve with more experience, although Dangerfield did it too.

I'm the same - it reminded me of the Bulldogs match where all some wanted to talk about was that he got 19 final quarter disposals, never mind that he went at like 30% DE in that last quarter. Same thing on Friday - he went at 35% DE in the first quarter and improved it to 52% for the match. There are times I'd rather him get less of the ball because he seems to use it better than when he is picking up disposals after disposal & just rushing his decisions - almost like his repeated disposals are coming due to the poor first option

Go to his yuppy bar and pay $15 for a beer or $35 for f'ing hamburger.

Lingy's bar is a a rip-off!

Look, I adored Lingy as player, but hearing him commentate is like nails on a chalk board

It seems that Ling has no involvement with those venues now-days, so can't blame him for the place if one feels it's a rip-off. This from an article yesterday about Enright buying another venue with mates:

Ling — having established himself as a top AFL commentator — had a number of business interests through Geelong’s EMC Group, which owns ultra-popular haunts Lambys, Wah Wah Gee, The Pier and Edge.
It is understood Ling has since moved on from the EMC group.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...s/news-story/d81c80946f91c9b3be6df55a18d4f6c7

I'm the same - it reminded me of the Bulldogs match where all some wanted to talk about was that he got 19 final quarter disposals, never mind that he went at like 30% DE in that last quarter. Same thing on Friday - he went at 35% DE in the first quarter and improved it to 52% for the match. There are times I'd rather him get less of the ball because he seems to use it better than when he is picking up disposals after disposal & just rushing his decisions - almost like his repeated disposals are coming due to the poor first option

It's a bit similar to how Dangerfield is forced to dispose of the ball a lot. Sides know he generally doesn't handpass and will kick it so he gets harried onto his wrong foot.

I agree. Kelly's general field kicking is pretty poor overall and despite all his other mercurial stuff it doesn't serve the team to just win the ball and kick it straight to opposition players. IIRC Joel Corey had a period early in his career where his kicking was poor also, and he improved it. So there's hope for Kelly in this regard. if he can get is DE to around 75% then he'll be one of the best midfielders in the comp.

Q1
Riewoldt tackled Parfitt without the ball
Richmond deliberate OOB
How about that JJ tackle on Astbury? Umpire ruled 'no prior'? ???
Soft free to Ellis - push in the back - Hawkins/Fogarty

Q2
Astbury cleaned-up Scooter - shoulder to head
View attachment 539375
Kelly paid Free Kick, Cotchin grabbed him, which is a 50m penalty every day! Stopped Kelly from playing on. No 50m paid to Kelly.
Fogarty pushed in the back by Lambert. Fogarty paid the Free Kick, but had kicked forward. Disadvantage to take it back to Fogarty in the Centre Square, when he'd kicked the ball close to our Goal Square. Perhaps not a mistake, but definitely to Geelong's disadvantage.
(That was followed by Rance's massive dive towards the fence, a hugely staged over-reaction to Tomahawk's push in the back, just ridiculous.)
Townsend pushed Blitz in the back, while they were chasing the ball. Blitz lost balance slightly, prevented from pursuing the ball, resulting in Higgins' goal.
Abbott pursuing the loose ball, Cotchin grabbed his right arm, pulled him backwards! (Great thing was that Richmond turned it over + Kelly's goal resulted from a run against play)

The umpires were good, ignoring the reaction from Richmond fans, who strangely boo at everything.

The decision in Q3, Kelly pushed in the back, but Menzel's goal paid, was great!

it was 13/3 frees our way during the first half. The deliberate OOB that should have been paid against us 10 minutes into the first was laughable. The short incident where he should have got two frees and we got a goal from it, was very lucky. We were fined 2k for it yet we got a free and goaled from it. Abbot also got soft free for a goal.

Farcial to think with that count at half time we were somehow disadvantaged.

it was 13/3 frees our way during the first half. The deliberate OOB that should have been paid against us 10 minutes into the first was laughable. The short incident where he should have got two frees and we got a goal from it, was very lucky. We were fined 2k for it yet we got a free and goaled from it. Abbot also got soft free for a goal.

Yep, it's a conspiracy. Obviously.

We did very well in the first half.

I was screaming at him! If he keeps that up, WC or Freo can have him :p

I think Kelly will improve with more experience, although Dangerfield did it too.
In his defence Richmonds pressure was crazy good and if you watch the Richmond players in the contest they never look where they kick or even handball for that matter they just bang it forward and hope it goes out of bounds or their players are there to contest. Its frustrating as all hell to watch but works for them.

In his defence Richmonds pressure was crazy good and if you watch the Richmond players in the contest they never look where they kick or even handball for that matter they just bang it forward and hope it goes out of bounds or their players are there to contest. Its frustrating as all hell to watch but works for them.
Exactly. We constantly over handballed and turned the ball over. You could see it happening time and time again. We just had to get it forward and try to get numbers to the ball - the way Richmond plays.

I thought that Kelly was outstanding. I'm not surprised at the coaches votes.

We got a good run in the first half for sure -but most of them were there. Richmond has a similar count against other teams doesn’t it? So maybe it’s their game style contributing. I can think of a couple of deliberate oob’s in the second half that should have been paid against them and a number of incorrect disposals we should have been given. It’s swings and roundabouts and didn’t affect the result. No big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back