Richmond FC team of the 21st century (as per online voting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Online votes were collated on players eligible to be named in this prestigious team. The team thus far is:

B:Nick Vlastin (1)Darren Gaspar (2)Dylan Grimes (2)
HB:Chris Newman (1)Alex Rance (18)Bashar Houli (14)
C:Joel Bowden (11)Dion Prestia (3)Wayne Campbell (9)
HF:Brett Deledio (3)Matthew Richardson (12)Kane Lambert (23)
F:Shane Edwards (11)Jack Reiwoldt (8)Brad Ottens (5) *
R:Toby Nankervis (25) *Dustin Martin (4)Trent Cotchin (9) *
Int:David Astbury 12Nathan Brown (7)Shaun Grigg (6)
Kane Johnson (28? and 17)

You'd think Nath Brown will be in the mix, Nath Foley too. Perhaps Shane tuck and Dunc Kellaway. Dan Jackson for services to the club.

Rucks are solid with Nank and Brad to share duties.
Backline, good luck scoring against the cat like Gas and Rance. And Grimesy too. Vlas doing as Vlas does, with Chris and Bashar providing dash and dare in no particular order.

I see Bowden and Lids rotating on the flanks. Both excellent marks for their height. Meatball in the middle no complaints. Campbell on the other wing provides a bit of x factor, hope he can rediscover his brownlow favourtism form.

Richo, Jack. Well, no comment needed. And Shedda provides silky skills, evasiveness and x factor.

Interesting tidbit. The backline features two players wearing no 1 and no 2. The midfield features two wearing no 3. Unless Tom Roach and Troy Simmons make the team, 8 and 5 are safe.

* Denotes ruckman

Last edited:

Online votes were collated on players eligible to be named in this prestigious team. The team thus far is:

B:Nick Vlastin (1)Darren Gaspar (2)Dylan Grimes (2)
HB:Chris Newman (1)Alex Rance (18)Bashar Houli (14)
C:Joel Bowden (11)Dion Prestia (3)Wayne Campbell (9)
HF:Brett Deledio (3)Matthew Richardson (12)Kane Lambert (23)
F:Shane Edwards (11)Jack Reiwoldt (8)Brad Ottens (5) *
R:Toby Nankervis (25)TBATBA
Int:TBATBATBA
TBA

You'd think Nath Brown will be in the mix, Nath Foley too. Perhaps Shane tuck and Dunc Kellaway. Dan Jackson for services to the club.

Rucks are solid with Nank and Brad to share duties.
Backline, good luck scoring against the cat like Gas and Rance. And Grimesy too. Vlas doing as Vlas does, with Chris and Bashar providing dash and dare in no particular order.

I see Bowden and Lids rotating on the flanks. Both excellent marks for their height. Meatball in the middle no complaints. Campbell on the other wing provides a bit of x factor, hope he can rediscover his brownlow favourtism form.

Richo, Jack. Well, no comment needed. And Shedda provides silky skills, evasiveness and x factor.

Interesting tidbit. The backline features two players wearing no 1 and no 2. The midfield features two wearing no 3. Unless Tom Roach and Troy Simmons make the team, 8 and 5 are safe.

I think with these sort of exercises it would be better if we said anyone who played even one match in the period can have their whole career taken into account. So players like Knights, Broderick, Gale could be seriously considered and the likes of D Kellaway, Campbell, Rogers could have their whole career considered. That would have made competition for spots more fierce, as it stands this team is probably too easily selected to make the exercise worthwhile.

It must be Cotchin and Martin for the other two onfield spots then the bench players could be anyone but I think a few of peter north’s suggestions are likely. One current player I think might be unlucky to miss is Dan Rioli. I think barring the effects of that foot injury in the 2017 GF he would be right in the mix.

I saw Gaspar's career in full and I'd have Astbury in his place. Gaspar was a very limited footballer IMHO.

I saw Gaspar's career in full and I'd have Astbury in his place. Gaspar was a very limited footballer IMHO.
remember when teams realised he couldnt kick? they exploited it, let him take the kick outs or receive the kick out. Then wallace named and put him on a HFF.

My recollection of Gaspar was that he got rag dolled by strong forward and hung off his opponent. His kicking was absolutely shocking for a league footballer, and it never improved. And from memory because we went in pretty hard on recruiting him from Sydney, we tied up far too much cap space in gaining his services, which hamstrung us in recruiting for 10 years. We went all-in after he burst onto the scene in Sydney.

No way on earth would we have Brad Ottens playing in a forward pocket, surely. Ruck or nothing. I'd have Nathan Brown and Tom Lynch miles ahead of him as forwards. Just off the top of my head.

And in the ruck he played his best football at Geelong. He seemed disinterested after 2001. I'd have Nankervis, Stafford, Maric, and hell even Simmons ahead of him in ruck.

No way on earth would we have Brad Ottens playing in a forward pocket, surely. Ruck or nothing. I'd have Nathan Brown and Tom Lynch miles ahead of him as forwards. Just off the top of my head.

And in the ruck he played his best football at Geelong. He seemed disinterested after 2001. I'd have Nankervis, Stafford, Maric, and hell even Simmons ahead of him in ruck.

Brown for mine. Better balance too....although in teh old days 3 talls was the go.

Id have ray hall and trent knobel before him.

My recollection of Gaspar was that he got rag dolled by strong forward and hung off his opponent. His kicking was absolutely shocking for a league footballer, and it never improved. And from memory because we went in pretty hard on recruiting him from Sydney, we tied up far too much cap space in gaining his services, which hamstrung us in recruiting for 10 years. We went all-in after he burst onto the scene in Sydney.

True, very true.

although if it wasnt for Gas we wouldnt have dusty, cotch, jack and 2 flags haha.

say the same about tambling and stevey sziller too! haha of course joking.

1588306981052.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I’d have Leon Cameron off half back instead of Chris Newman

I think newy get props for being a loyal and terrific servant of the club. Given this team has so many stars, someone like him maybe important as a glue man

Coughlan, Grigg, Foley, Tuck, Jackson, Cameron, Johnson, B. Ellis

Would be the contenders in roughly that order for the last two I’d think.

Rapt Browny made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coughlan, Grigg, Foley, Tuck, Jackson, Cameron, Johnson, B. Ellis

Would be the contenders in roughly that order for the last two I’d think.

Rapt Browny made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that game v collingwood....man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back