News Richmond finalise AFL coaching structure

Aug 25, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
There is an element of being at the right place at the right time. The planets didn't align for him at other clubs as well as it did with ours. Blake's game plan suited our players perfectly. It required the bulk of the team to have elite endurance and a stack of speed to pull it off. He won't find that combo at Essendon so he'll have to think up something different or a mish mash of what we had. I doubt it will work.

Neil Balme is a bloody legend. How stuffed in the head was Collingwood to shaft him??
Shafted him so they could land Gubby Allen whom they lost within months due to the Whitfield drug scandal.

Best.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Coaching changes are like haircuts ...... you need a new style every now and then.

I’m more happy that the senior coach has the reigns, the president and CEO are stable than a few assistants jockeying for a senior gig.

Who really knows how much an assistant REALLY impacts anyway? However at the end of the day the head coach is accountable and I’m happy Dimma is still in charge!!

Go tigers and let’s give 2020 another crack!!

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not saying we will fall in a heap. I was just reacting to a post that said he wasn't a major loss.
As you say it does need to evolve. Andrew McQualter has big shoes to fill. If we don't get it right we will fall back into the pack

I have a vague memory of Dustin Martin specifically thanking Andrew McQualter in his speech at last years JDM as McQualter was moving to the forwards from the midfield. Already having the respect of the senior midfield group should make the transition back relatively easy I would think, and after all, McQualter is now a duel premiership assistant coach.

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Cara was only involved in one coaching premiership prior to the Tigers.
Cats in 2011.
A loss, but not a major one.
Kingsley is highly regarded.
Would look at Rance and Riewoldt in future decades as assistants.
that cats team juiced up to the eyeballs could have coached itself to a flag.

caracella left colonwood at the end of 2009 for the cats and they won the flag in 2010 . won the flag with cats in 2011

no chance he gets the bummers to a flag unless he is there when they rebuild and dodo bird is gone

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Great to see X as the VFL coach.
Going places this bloke.

Has there been a senior indigenous coach?

Would be great if we could lead the AFL there too (after the first female President). Maybe have a succession plan for a few years down the track.

Would complete our turnaround in terms of our indigenous culture too. From being one of the worst in the league to an AFL leader.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Has there been a senior indigenous coach?

Would be great if we could lead the AFL there too (after the first female President). Maybe have a succession plan for a few years down the track.

Would complete our turnaround in terms of our indigenous culture too. From being one of the worst in the league to an AFL leader.
Barry Cable

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Blake caracella will go to Essendon and endear himself to the playing group whilst undermining the head coach. A scary precedent was set last year that encouraged this type of mutiny. If he is cunning enough he will be Essendon a head coach in 10 months time

rutten is already the coach for 2021
Not only that I’m sure Caracalla is on record stating he has no interest in being a head coach.

A couple things not mentioned as far as I can tell is that we, as a Club, appear now to be coached a bit more bottom up.

In 2016 Dimma put his hand up and said I try and control too much. To be fair he probably had to with the talent he had beneath him, but as that got better (quickly with the inclusion of Caracella), and Dimma releasing the shackles, Leppa appeared to get so much more involved, publically at least, and let's not forget how great a job Cotchin did in galvanizing the group - something crucial in bottom up coaching. His balanced life outlook changed things in 2017 and we have ridden that wave of group sentiment for three good years so far. I could see Leppa being handed over too, as much as I could see Cotchin being handed over too as well, as long as that is OK with Mrs Cotchin ;) :grinning: (Sound familiar?)

Last edited:

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
When Dimma loses the passion, and he doesnt recognise it, then thats when things go downhill.
We will lose our talent, but if Dimma still has the passion, then he’ll probably be the right person to rebuild.
He's proven that he can rebuild a side worse than Fitzroy to win premierships, so if he had the desire to rebuild again surely he's still the man to do it

Back