News Richmond great Matthew Richardson excited by Ivan Soldo comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
1633345917674.png

[PLAYERCARD]Ivan Soldo[/PLAYERCARD] missed all of 2021 with a knee injury. Picture: Getty

Ivan Soldo missed all of 2021 with a knee injury. Picture: Getty

Former Queanbeyan Tiger Ivan Soldo is poised to make a major return from injury in 2022, after Richmond opted to let ruckman Mabior Chol go to the Gold Coast Suns last month.

And the 25-year-old has a major ally in his corner, with club legend Matthew Richardson convinced Soldo would only improve on an AFL career which already includes a premiership medal, despite playing just 36 career games.

Soldo missed all of 2021 after suffering a horror knee injury in round 17 of 2020, during which he ruptured his anterior and medial ligaments.

His recovery remains on track, and the 204cm giant is eyeing off a pre-Christmas return to contact training before resuming his place in the Tigers' best 22.

With Chol's departure to the Suns, Soldo is now Toby Nankervis's clear-cut backup in the ruck and Richardson tipped the returning big man to surprise the league next year.

"He's a forgotten man outside of Richmond," Richardson told the Tigers website.

"Working in the media, it staggered me that he was barely mentioned whenever the team's injury list was discussed throughout the season.

"In 2019 and 2020, until he suffered his knee injury, he played some really good football. He was an important member of the 2019 premiership team.

"Soldo complements Toby Nankervis really well in the Tigers' ruck set-up.

"Nank is terrific around the ground and with his follow-up work, while Soldo's strength is at the centre bounces and stoppages through his ability to win hit-outs and provide the team's mids with first use.

"He's got a big body, good aggression and is a tough competitor."

Soldo won a premiership in just his 22nd AFL match, as part of the Richmond side that dismantled GWS in the 2019 decider.

"Soldo's also a popular clubman and, importantly, has a lot more upside to his football career," Richardson said.

"You've got to remember that he didn't grow up playing the game - basketball and soccer were his sports of choice.

"At 25 years of age, Soldo has played only 36 AFL games and probably wouldn't have played 100 games of Australian Football all-up yet.

"So, as he continues to develop his ruck craft, I think he's going to provide Richmond with plenty of value."

Chol played 31 matches in six seasons with the Tigers, but was never part of the final 22 during the club's 2017, 2019 and 2020 premierships.

Gold Coast will give Richmond an end of round two draft pick in exchange for the South Sudanese-born 24-year-old.

Meanwhile, three-time Norm Smith Medalist Dustin Martin remains on track to be ready for preseason training after surgery earlier this year to repair a lacerated kidney.

A slimmed down Martin has slowly eased his way back into gentle training according to the club's head of football performance, Tim Livingstone.

"He's just slowly getting into it, and we'll build up over the next month or so," Livingstone told Melbourne radio last week.

Martin's injury capped a forgettable season for Richmond, who missed finals after winning three of the last four premierships.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies

No_Spoke

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1252852

Former Queanbeyan Tiger Ivan Soldo is poised to make a major return from injury in 2022, after Richmond opted to let ruckman Mabior Chol go to the Gold Coast Suns last month.

And the 25-year-old has a major ally in his corner, with club legend Matthew Richardson convinced Soldo would only improve on an AFL career which already includes a premiership medal, despite playing just 36 career games.

Soldo missed all of 2021 after suffering a horror knee injury in round 17 of 2020, during which he ruptured his anterior and medial ligaments.

His recovery remains on track, and the 204cm giant is eyeing off a pre-Christmas return to contact training before resuming his place in the Tigers' best 22.

With Chol's departure to the Suns, Soldo is now Toby Nankervis's clear-cut backup in the ruck and Richardson tipped the returning big man to surprise the league next year.

"He's a forgotten man outside of Richmond," Richardson told the Tigers website.

"Working in the media, it staggered me that he was barely mentioned whenever the team's injury list was discussed throughout the season.

"In 2019 and 2020, until he suffered his knee injury, he played some really good football. He was an important member of the 2019 premiership team.

"Soldo complements Toby Nankervis really well in the Tigers' ruck set-up.

"Nank is terrific around the ground and with his follow-up work, while Soldo's strength is at the centre bounces and stoppages through his ability to win hit-outs and provide the team's mids with first use.

"He's got a big body, good aggression and is a tough competitor."

Soldo won a premiership in just his 22nd AFL match, as part of the Richmond side that dismantled GWS in the 2019 decider.

"Soldo's also a popular clubman and, importantly, has a lot more upside to his football career," Richardson said.

"You've got to remember that he didn't grow up playing the game - basketball and soccer were his sports of choice.

"At 25 years of age, Soldo has played only 36 AFL games and probably wouldn't have played 100 games of Australian Football all-up yet.

"So, as he continues to develop his ruck craft, I think he's going to provide Richmond with plenty of value."

Chol played 31 matches in six seasons with the Tigers, but was never part of the final 22 during the club's 2017, 2019 and 2020 premierships.

Gold Coast will give Richmond an end of round two draft pick in exchange for the South Sudanese-born 24-year-old.

Meanwhile, three-time Norm Smith Medalist Dustin Martin remains on track to be ready for preseason training after surgery earlier this year to repair a lacerated kidney.

A slimmed down Martin has slowly eased his way back into gentle training according to the club's head of football performance, Tim Livingstone.

"He's just slowly getting into it, and we'll build up over the next month or so," Livingstone told Melbourne radio last week.

Martin's injury capped a forgettable season for Richmond, who missed finals after winning three of the last four premierships.

Ivan Soldo excited that Mathew Richardson is excited by his come back

Tiger4Ever

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
"Chol played 31 matches in six seasons with the Tigers, but was never part of the final 22 during the club's 2017, 2019 and 2020 premierships.

Gold Coast will give Richmond an end of round two draft pick in exchange for the South Sudanese-born 24-year-old."

:drunk::drunk::drunk: * Fact check to Register 4 please, fact check to Register 4! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Who are these chimps in the media?

It time and time again seems they don't actually know a lot about what they are reporting on and seemingly can't be stuffed to do any research?

This story aside, I'd get my arse kicked in my job if I was as flippant, inaccurate and unaccountable as some of the dribble we've seen written lately (and I'm not just referring to our 'old mate Karen Cornes).

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Don’t know if it would be a lot…
The Houli, Astbury retirements are sad but celebrated well. CJ & Chol out of the club is just footy. I'm ecstatic they're not staying. If we can't afford them. We've got excess depth in their positions. It looks like both of them are playing for good money.
Drafting Tarrant was very good list management and the North pick will be very handy In my ignorant opinion The only, minor, thing we are getting wrong is retaining Egg & Parker. I'd hate to lose Cumberland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back