Analysis Richmond has become home of the list-clogger, writes David King

Remove this Banner Ad

the term "list clogger" has been sticking with me

what is its true intent

someone that is in your top side , almost out of misguided loyalty
and they stop a promising youngster from getting a crack

or

someone that is one your list and will be lucky to get a game in the top side

I don't think we have anyone that qualifies for the first definition , that category is for passengers
and 3 premierships and a minor premiership in 4 years ,we don't have passengers

Lloyd & Miles , do fall into the second category , they played mountains of great footy at VFL level and in hindsight
clearly weren't going to get many games in the AFL

so are they list cloggers as King would it or were they AFL ready depth players , insurance if you like ?

I'd argue the later , depth players, and what they did to the professionalism of the VFL certainly did play a part in our success

are real list cloggers the likes of
Josh Bruce , hasn't worked for the Dogs and should be turned over
Zaharakas , Hurley Dons - past their use by dates
Tex Walker - not fit enough or past it ???

what is its true intent

or

I don't think we have anyone that qualifies for the first definition , that category is for passengers

Lloyd & Miles , do fall into the second category , they played mountains of great footy at VFL level and in hindsight

so are they list cloggers as King would it or were they AFL ready depth players , insurance if you like ?

I'd argue the later , depth players, and what they did to the professionalism of the VFL certainly did play a part in our success

B Ellis

Wow, that took you nearly 24hours to get that out there again - you are slipping Marcel - you'll be buying a Bellis signed jumper soon you campaigner!

Last edited:

what is its true intent

or

Dogs have Schache sitting in the 2s too. Caddy might be this year too, a big salary running around in the 2s. Just about every Richmond player that has left, Conca, Ellis & Butler, Higgins, Markov would have continued to get some games with us. But got better money and guarantee games elsewhere

Dogs have Schache sitting in the 2s too. Caddy might be this year too, a big salary running around in the 2s. Just about every Richmond player that has left, Conca, Ellis & Butler, Higgins, Markov would have continued to get some games with us. But got better money and guarantee games elsewhere

Caddy and markov is he still around interesting options for list blocker category.

Bit harsh as they were excellent depth

I think Hardwick has expectations that Caddy will bounce back this year if injury free
but if the injuries continue then yes he will become a clogger

I think Hardwick has expectations that Caddy will bounce back this year if injury free
but if the injuries continue then yes he will become a clogger
Injury is a fair reason not to be getting picked. But even uninjured Caddy seems to have lost his spot. We're selecting Chol, CCJ types ahead of him up fwd & we have plenty of players who could play wing. I'm not upset at all he's been a huge contribution to our success. Although we could use some of his 2022 wage on Balta, Bolton, Bakker, Vlas.

Caddy had an injury riddled year, could not get the block of training in to gain selection at the back end. Missed to much footy. The fact Balta can ruck or even Astbury to help Nank I think they won't really go down the Chol path. Caddy as the 3rd tall is a much better option.

Virtually best used with he and Martin rotating from 3rd tall to the big mid.

Caddy had an injury riddled year, could not get the block of training in to gain selection at the back end. Missed to much footy. The fact Balta can ruck or even Astbury to help Nank I think they won't really go down the Chol path. Caddy as the 3rd tall is a much better option.

Virtually best used with he and Martin rotating from 3rd tall to the big mid.
Caddy , if he's fit , is must include. Who goes out ? No idea !!

He adds grunt , gets in their faces and has a fantastic attitude to the sense of team and club.

His first qtr in 2019 GF was for me very memorable.

With Jack slowing (??) is their an option to try him in a similar role alongside Lynch ?

Caddy is too slow for the forward line. Bolton Rioli. George. Edwards. Lambert. Graham etc.

Caddy was fit but Aarts was the preferred option MRioliJ will probably go past him too.

Pickett and McIntosh are better winger options.
Agree with this. He did play well on the wing though, but maybe not as well as Mac or Pickett did last season. Has many of the attributes that Vlastuin has, so could possibly play half back. He is about Vlastuin's pace, size and strength, an excellent kick, rarely loses a contest, is a strong mark. Reckon he would make a good half back.

But like the wing, the spot is not there. So he is backup for forward, wing and I reckon if he trained there over the summer, half back. Not many better backup and more versatile players in the league, which makes him valuable as at some stage there will be injuries. It is obviously a make or break year or he will opt for another club as he still has good football in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this. He did play well on the wing though, but maybe not as well as Mac or Pickett did last season. Has many of the attributes that Vlastuin has, so could possibly play half back. He is about Vlastuin's pace, size and strength, an excellent kick, rarely loses a contest, is a strong mark. Reckon he would make a good half back.

But like the wing, the spot is not there. So he is backup for forward, wing and I reckon if he trained there over the summer, half back. Not many better backup and more versatile players in the league, which makes him valuable as at some stage there will be injuries. It is obviously a make or break year or he will opt for another club as he still has good football in him.

A problem is, the backline isn't easy to get a game in at Richmond either currently.

Josh might be wanting on injury/bad form?

Might be good at his 4th club next season.

Either way pretty handy player and a good back up option

List blocker classification aside. It's good the tigers held onto josh.

Depth looks a bit shaky with higgins and markov gone. Very young next-in-line after Chol and Aarts.

Going for a 4th flag it's probably better to have caddy to call upon than a kid?

List blocker classification aside. It's good the tigers held onto josh.

Depth looks a bit shaky with higgins and markov gone. Very young next-in-line after Chol and Aarts.

Going for a 4th flag it's probably better to have caddy to call upon than a kid?
He is not a list clogger because he is good enough to play, he has proven that. Dropped back through injury and opportunity last year and his roll as a forward has gone since Lynch came in. Will struggle to get games this year only due to the fact that a few young players like Ross and RCD and a few others need to be played.

You need depth, and you will lose nothing by playing Caddy if injuries hit. Will he be content with that down the track time will tell, but he is not a list clogger, just a players struggling to get a game in the best side in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back