Richmond hate explained?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because fans start threads asking 'why does everyone hate us'?

It's the Richmond fan mentality that they are somewhat relevant when they haven't achieved s**t for years and years and years.

Hating and not rating a team are very different. I don't rate Richmond because I have seen them play the last 10 years and the games they have played they haven't exactly looked impressive in either skills or structure. Yes they've won the games, you can't do any more than that, and looks like they'll play finals. But how's about actually achieving something, say winning a final, before you think the rest of the league OWES you respect.

Maybe because fans start threads asking 'why does everyone hate us'?

It's the Richmond fan mentality that they are somewhat relevant when they haven't achieved s**t for years and years and years.

Hating and not rating a team are very different. I don't rate Richmond because I have seen them play the last 10 years and the games they have played they haven't exactly looked impressive in either skills or structure. Yes they've won the games, you can't do any more than that, and looks like they'll play finals. But how's about actually achieving something, say winning a final, before you think the rest of the league OWES you respect.

What narrative are you reading from?

No one owes me or the sporting team that I support anything.

You are a strange man.

Did you have us winning first 5 games.? i am sure no. Learn to give credit where its due..!
The players have pleasantly surprised the fans so far and we are just enjoying a good start. No one believes we'll win flag, yet anyway.

No, I didn't predict Richmond to go 5-0. My assessment of Richmond as a team has lifted since the beginning of the year.

However, I would have tipped several other teams (certainly Adelaide, GWS, Bulldogs, Geelong and (snort) Sydney to start 5-0 if they had started the year with Richmond's fixture - four probably non-finalists and West Coast away from Perth.

Which supporters?

I hear this generalization all the time on bigfooty with nothing to back it up. It's a poor argument.

Yet everyone thinks it.

Richmond have been mediocre for decades, achieving no ultimate success.

As soon as supporters get a whiff, BANG!! They all jump on board and brag the * out their teams success.

No one hated the great Geelong team of 06 - 12. Modest, hard working, loyal.

Think thats why Hawthorn have been the butt of jokes this year. The arrogance and self righteousness to play finals and be successful has got to there heads.

Quietly go about your business and people may find them an attractive club to support. Dont and it could end up very mess once again

True, and Melbourne actually kicked very accurately, most of their behinds were rushed behinds, not missed goals.

For WC, yes I did, and certainly you could have used that excuse if you lost. I think 'bad kicking is bad football' is oversold. I don't like watching a team lose after dominating play simply because a few too many shots went a foot or two to the wrong side of the post. Often when it happens you walk away with the feeling that the wrong side won.

Sure, it has been a good start, and will remain a good start even if you lose 3 of the next 4 which seems likely. However, I also think some fans have inflated ideas on where the club stands given you've only played one team that finished in the top 8 last year, and that win was unconvincing given WC were beaten on the same ground by a team that was last at the start of the round, and had lost their last two by 80+. If you can win half of your next 4 games, I think you'll start to get more credit from neutral fans.
I haven't seen many Richmond supporters getting ahead of themselves (other than in jest)

Richmond have been mediocre for decades, achieving no ultimate success.

As soon as supporters get a whiff, BANG!! They all jump on board and brag the **** out their teams success.

No one hated the great Geelong team of 06 - 12. Modest, hard working, loyal.

Think thats why Hawthorn have been the butt of jokes this year. The arrogance and self righteousness to play finals and be successful has got to there heads.

Quietly go about your business and people may find them an attractive club to support. Dont and it could end up very mess once again
The Geelong experience was heavily influenced by the disappointments of the 90's. Stay modest and keep the lid on. Last year about midway through there was a sense the club could be up and about and some were getting cocky until copping losses to Collingwood, St Kilda and Carlton. This year everyone is keeping their heads low, taking the wins but not gloating about it, been playing average sides so far really. To be fair while Geelong loves the Cats the city is more focused on keeping their jobs than anything.

Club and most of it's supporters are great, true footy people.

Some of the nongs on Bigfooty however...just too keen to get up and about and start taking potshots at other clubs and their players as soon as their team starts going OK.

Makes it hard not to have a dip when the inevitable happens.

The whole Dusty v Danger thread is the perfect example of massive chips on shoulders.

Thats the thing.

Im not writing home, but your response is very demonstrative.

People are so quick to get defensive about Richmond.

Wtf?? You asked the question

Don't hate them personally, but if there's any angst I'm guessing it's because they've achieved absolutely nothing for nearly four decades yet a lot of their supporters seem think their side is god's gift to football.

They're also by far the most fun team to bait when they fail because their supporters take everything so personally.

Wouldn't phase me at all if they broke their drought within the next few years though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare anyone saying we haven't beaten anyone to post their ladder predictions from preseason. I guarantee at least 2 of the sides we have beaten a majority had finishing higher than us, and more likely 3 of them. We got ahead of ourselves? Maybe people overrated other teams and or underrated us.

We have beaten sides we have struggled to beat recently in the Pies, Dees and West Coast.

We could easily been 2-3.

Spot on. Most probably only had Carlton and Brisbane ranked below Richmond, Collingwood around the same and Melbourne and West Coast ahead.

Didn't realise anyone hated Richmond, most people I talk to are too busy laughing at them - I think they are generally a well-liked, inoffensive (= rarely beat your club) team.
Looking forward to a North Melbourne-like crash later in the season from the Tiges.

Dont think they are hated at least not in comparison to other teams. They are seen as a joke or laughing stock though, unfortunately ths quite a bit worse.

Its in your hands now though, respect will come if you can compete wth the benchmark adelaide. You get thrashed we all laugh and undust the memes again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What brings me additional joy this year is the salty crocodile tears from oppo fans, especially supporters from the other Big 4 clubs. Just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and makes me giddy.

Not only do I want my club to succeed, at the same time I wish supporters of the other big 4 clubs great suffering, desolation, sickness, ill-treatment, indignities. I wish that they should not remain unfamiliar with profound self-contempt, the torture of self-mistrust, the wretchedness of the vanquished.

This is why the Essendon saga, the Malthouse2Buckley transition, and then Malthouse totally decimating Carlton - who lets face it are perennially s**t...well if a genie popped out of a bottle and granted me 3 wishes, I could not have even come up with that lot.

Since joining Bigfooty, I have developed a profound loathing of North Melbourne. Their misery this year nourishes my soul and enriches my life-experience.

Anyhoo, back on topic, no idea where all this Tiger hate stems from.

Last edited:
I'll explain it. Richmond have been the footy comic relief for 2 decades. Everyone loved laughing at your expense. All those years of finishing 9th and then to finally make the finals only to bomb out in the first week. It was real life slapstick comedy. We just don't want that to end. So if you guys actually become good, then who else do we laugh at?

This is not a dig. It's my honest assessment.

That, and being beaten by the team that was gifted a finals slit thanks to essendon.

I mate of mine is a tigers supporter, has great strength of character to put up with everything he has gone through supporting the club !

I reckon that richmond are the new Bulldogs - specifically, they are a lot of people's 'second' team now

Nah, it's really not that complex. You just haven't beaten anyone good yet. I mean if you beat Adelaide, bulldogs and GWS then you have beaten someone good and I'm sure more people will start to take Richmond more seriously. Lucky for you, you don't have to wait long to find out. geelong haven't beaten anyone good either. Unfortunately it will be a couple more weeks before we find out.

I remember after Round 2 last year, people were mocking Geelong for getting beaten by 10 points against a 'terrible' GWS. Things can change pretty quickly. Fremantle hasn't lost a game at home...except the one where we made them look second rate. A few teams that we've beaten could still quite easily make the finals and Richmond is the same. Apart from maybe a handful of teams, we don't really know who's good and who's terrible this year.

There's several intriguing games in round 6 (including Richmond v Adelaide) that will tell us plenty about both teams.

I think we will lose next week. We will do well to get within 5 goals I reckon.

I just laugh at tghis whole Richmond shpporters guaranteeing finals and/or grand final. The worst I have come across is fans saying another 7 wins should guarantee finals at this rate. And that is fair I reckon.

It's mainly the media and opposition who have punped us up and they do it so when we have a down patch and we will, they will sink the boots in harder.

Am I happy to be 5-0? Yes. Who wouldn't be? Do we still have work to do? Hell yes. Tonight showed us our midfield is inconsistent and our forward structures struggle. All I can say is we are winning games we usually drop.

Good form is winning form. What else can you ask for ? I would rather be 5-0 going into a big clash then 0-5.

salty crocodile tears from oppo fans

:'( yeah everyone is inconsolable over Richmond's 5 home & away wins, pass me the tissues please :'(

:rolleyes:

You mention the other 'big four' clubs - all of them have had more success since the formation of the AFL than Richmond. All of them. In fact the only clubs to have been less successful than Richmond are the expansion clubs, and they at least have the excuse of being soulless start-ups with only half a dozen seasons under their belts.

How can you hate Richmond.....it's the gift that keeps on giving.

But in all reality, passionate fans and the best club song in the comp bar none.
Richmond supporters.....the true definition of optimism.
The true hate will come if you start winning flags and the supporters get a bit to far ahead of themselves
Hmmm.....you're right. Certainly reminds me of some other team :D

:'( yeah everyone is inconsolable over Richmond's 5 home & away wins, pass me the tissues please :'(

:rolleyes:

You mention the other 'big four' clubs - all of them have had more success since the formation of the AFL than Richmond. All of them. In fact the only clubs to have been less successful than Richmond are the expansion clubs, and they at least have the excuse of being soulless start-ups with only half a dozen seasons under their belts.
All I read was blah, blah...blah blah blah. You don't support a Big 4 club, therefore your opinion does not count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back