Richmond have to host a 'home' game at Marvel Stadium this weekend, and wow are they are unhappy about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just ridiculous that the MCG is empty, our home ground, while we host an interstate team and what it basically a neutral venue. Yes I understand they have to travel.

I am surprised why MCG tenants don't like going to Docklands, it is a vastly superior stadium to watch football, especially when the weather is miserable.

Since the new lights were installed I find it hard to watch footy at the G at night. And annoyingly all of our games are 1950 or 1920 etc so it's always dark and by the time I get home usually 2330.

Found Marvel very decent for viewing tonight. Surface has come a long way the last ten years or so.

Looking forward to the 1310 Sunday game vs Crows for a change.

It's just ridiculous that the MCG is empty, our home ground, while we host an interstate team and what it basically a neutral venue. Yes I understand they have to travel.
Sometimes we have to host Melbourne teams in Melbourne while Kardinia Park, our home ground, is empty. It's a darn injustice I tell ye!

I am surprised why MCG tenants don't like going to Docklands, it is a vastly superior stadium to watch football, especially when the weather is miserable.
Crowd aside, I think the greater concern for Richmond fans is that we believe we play better at the MCG, hence we want to play there as it gives us a greater chance to win (generally).

I don't have a problem with Richmond traveling to Geelong, what I've objected to in past has been that, in the past 25 odd years, Richmond has travelled to Geelong more than Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn combined. The reasoning appears to have been that bigger Victorian clubs don't play in Geelong unless they're called Richmond. It appears that similar reasoning has allowed the AFL to introduce a raft rules over the past 3 years specifically aimed at "brining Richmond back to the field".
I think Geelong should be able to play all of their home games in the home and away season in Geelong, if that's what they want.
Do you think Richmond should be afforded the same 'privilege"?

Yet Melbourne gets sent to Geelong AND Tassie every year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond were selling games to Cairns 10 years ago and now want to whine about not playing their home games at home. Ya can't make this stuff up 🤡🤡🤡

As the only team to win a premiership outside of Victoria, and the only team to win a premiership without receiving home ground in a single game all year, Richmond have earned the right to request a fairer fixture
Richmond played more games at the MCG and in Victoria than any other side last year.

Richmond played more games at the MCG and in Victoria than any other side last year.

They'll pull out some technicality about how the MCG matches were their away matches against other tenants, but rounds 1 and 3 were both Richmond home games. The other MCG games were "away"

They'll pull out some technicality about how the MCG matches were their away matches against other tenants, but rounds 1 and 3 were both Richmond home games. The other MCG games were "away"
Only had to play what four games out of Brisbane/GC/Melbourne, I’m surprised Richmond even noticed there was a pandemic

Honestly this is looking like a hugely clever move by Gale. Richmond supporters voted with their feet - we don’t go to Docklands, and he prompted it.
As Dimma said in his presser - you want the big crowds, play us at the G.

Gil can’t ignore it when the biggest club only draws 19k to a game.

Plenty of teams forced to play some home games at Marvel. Richmond can just stand in line and accept what everyone else gets.
Richmond were selling games to Cairns 10 years ago and now want to whine about not playing their home games at home. Ya can't make this stuff up 🤡🤡🤡
So the consensus appears to be, (well at least from those offering Richmond rent free living space) that no way should clubs have the option to play all their home games at their home ground.
That's fine. Let's have no more complaining from Geelong supporters about not playing all of theirs at their asymmetrical, low capacity ground. It should also end the infernal whinging from Eagles, Crows and Port supporters about the Grand final.

Productive thread. Well done all :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back