Richmond hierarchy aimed for finals, not a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez some sensitivity on behalf of people who claimed supporters couldn't handle a rebuild. I didn't say it. Most Richmond supporters were incensed by it. Last year #eco was in full swing.

It was disrespectful to the supporter base and now those supporters want to attack my team because it happened to work out for them. What's wrong with suggesting the hierarchy didn't know what they had. Clearly they didn't when they were making statements like that.
Doesn't matter what we say anyway, SOS is too busy picking up fringe GWS players.

Obsessed much. What has SOS got to do with this thread?
Look at your own mess before you comment on ours? We seem to be doing quite alright with our 30,000 extra members, no debt, little reliance on pokie revenue and oh yes, a premiership this century.

Look at your own mess before you comment on ours? We seem to be doing quite alright with our 30,000 extra members, no debt, little reliance on pokie revenue and oh yes, a premiership this century.

So nobody can even make a comment in relation to an existing thread about something that occurred last year even if they were giving credit to your players?

One of your supporters liked my post and engaged in discussion.

You just looked at it superficially and had a big sook. Your team won a flag, why are you still insecure?

So nobody can even make a comment in relation to an existing thread about something that occurred last year even if they were giving credit to your players?

One of your supporters liked my post and engaged in discussion.

You just looked at it superficially and had a big sook. Your team won a flag, why are you still insecure?
Assuming I'm insecure is exactly the reason I don't like Carlton ferals commenting on our club.

I don't - we don't seek your approval, we don't wait for the thumbs up. We legit do not care what you guys think and your opinion is useless.

What we do, is go on the Carlton board and read your threads, whilst eating popcorn, watching and enjoying how jealous you are that you are not us right now. We take pleasure from your tears. That's all we want from you guys, to act yourselves and not put on a show that you're measured and well informed - because if you were, you wouldn't be supporting Carlton.

And also, can you guys stop being so ******* s**t on the field. Like, legit we like beating a strong Carlton because it means more, the outbursts are glorious, but you're so s**t now that we just count the four points before the game is even played. You aren't Carlton anymore, you're a shell of your former self. Like fat elvis or Dumb and Dumber 2.

The sheer amount of shitness is overwhelming. First wooden spoon in 2002 and you've wasted the careers of superstars like Judd, Murphy, Kouta, Kruezer. Thank * for guys like Kennedy, Betts, Grigg, Jacobs all leaving and having the opportunity to play in a grand final.

Last edited:
Assuming I'm insecure is exactly the reason I don't like Carlton ferals commenting on our club.

I don't - we don't seek your approval, we don't wait for the thumbs up. We legit do not care what you guys think and your opinion is useless.

What we do, is go on the Carlton board and read your threads, whilst eating popcorn, watching and enjoying how jealous you are that you are not us right now. We take pleasure from your tears. That's all we want from you guys, to act yourselves and not put on a show that you're measured and well informed - because if you were, you wouldn't be supporting Carlton.

And also, can you guys stop being so ******* s**t on the field. Like, legit we like beating a strong Carlton because it means more, the outbursts are glorious, but you're so s**t now that we just count the four points before the game is even played. You aren't Carlton anymore, you're a shell of your former self. Like fat elvis or Dumb and Dumber 2.

The sheer amount of shitness is overwhelming. First wooden spoon in 2002 and you've wasted the careers of superstars like Judd, Murphy, Kouta, Kruezer. Thank **** for guys like Kennedy, Betts, Grigg, Jacobs all leaving and having the opportunity to play in a grand final.

Suck it up princess. It's a discussion forum and if you are unable to have a civil discussion without being overcome by your own arrogance then that's on you. The hide of calling me feral when you post the way you do.

You are not your team. Your team's success does not somehow make you superior to anyone else. Your opinion is not more relevant.

Pack this crap off to the Bay.

Stop blaming the AFL. How many players have the Tigers developed off their rookie list?
Lambert, 3rd in the B&F in a premiership year. How's that for development? Castagna, not as dramatic a success - but played his role well in a premiership. Dylan Grimes wasn't a rookie, but was picked up in the Preseason draft. He's now played 104 games, is a key component in the most effective back six in the League and has earned himself his Premiership medallion by keeping Eddie Betts quiet in a Grand Final. That'll do for a start.

Lambert, 3rd in the B&F in a premiership year. How's that for development? Castagna, not as dramatic a success - but played his role well in a premiership. Dylan Grimes wasn't a rookie, but was picked up in the Preseason draft. He's now played 104 games, is a key component in the most effective back six in the League and has earned himself his Premiership medallion by keeping Eddie Betts quiet in a Grand Final. That'll do for a start.

I asked the question as at May 2016. As far as rookies go, it's still fairly light. But hey you won a flag so who gives a s**t. Congrats

I'm saying the recruiters stumbled into a flag. They didn't even know what they had last year.
On the contrary, it's well documented that Dimma came back from overseas with a new approach and the key was recognising the talent in the team and building a game plan that focussed on players' strengths, rather than coming up with a plan that tried to compensate for their weaknesses. The recruiters had prioritised speed and, while that had led to disaster in the Yarran trade, it also gave Dimma the chance to unleash the mosquito fleet. Townsend is another example. He was recruited in the wake of the 2015 elimination final when the big-bodied North midfield bullied Miles and Cotchin. Because he's big and tough and a tackling machine they were hoping that he could be a bodyguard for the captain in the midfield - a desperate compensation for missing out on Treloar. It didn't work and he was dropped after a few attempts. But this year, Dimma's new mantra of focussing on attributes rather than deficiencies led to Townsend being trialed late in the year as a defensive forward. We all know what happened next.:)

Suck it up princess. It's a discussion forum and if you are unable to have a civil discussion without being overcome by your own arrogance then that's on you. The hide of calling me feral when you post the way you do.

You are not your team. Your team's success does not somehow make you superior to anyone else. Your opinion is not more relevant.

Pack this crap off to the Bay.
Suck it up princess when you're the one getting offended? I'm simply stating my opinion. Arrogance? You can call it that but in this narrative Richmond is the fairytale and Carlton falling to the depths of despair is like the antagonist being thrown in the river or eaten by the hyenas.

If you cannot use this thread to clearly state that Richmond is superior and everyone was wrong about their predictions, then see ya later buddy. I don't want to hear anything else from you.

We don't need you to delve deeper into this. We are premiers, yes we, including me because I am my team and my team is me, that's what we call passion. Something your supporter base knows nothing about as they support the victory this weekend.

My teams success does one thing, it vindicates my support and my passion, paying $159 a year for a GF guarantee ticket when we were no chance, got to cash that baby in this year out of nowhere. It's called loyalty.

Suck it up princess when you're the one getting offended? I'm simply stating my opinion. Arrogance? You can call it that but in this narrative Richmond is the fairytale and Carlton falling to the depths of despair is like the antagonist being thrown in the river or eaten by the hyenas.

If you cannot use this thread to clearly state that Richmond is superior and everyone was wrong about their predictions, then see ya later buddy. I don't want to hear anything else from you.

We don't need you to delve deeper into this. We are premiers, yes we, including me because I am my team and my team is me, that's what we call passion. Something your supporter base knows nothing about as they support the victory this weekend.

My teams success does one thing, it vindicates my support and my passion, paying $159 a year for a GF guarantee ticket when we were no chance, got to cash that baby in this year out of nowhere. It's called loyalty.

I gave credit to the players. I query those that came out and stated they built a team to win finals not to win a flag because they didn't think the supporters had the patience to rebuild properly.

Why on earth you would take issue with that when most of your supporters were pissed off when that came out, is beyond me.

I said at the time that I felt for the supporters because that was insulting. What exactly are you disagreeing with here? Seems like you sense negativity and come out swinging without absorbing what has been said.

I'm not offended in the slightest. I was just pointing out how ultra sensitive you were being.

Btw My Dad is a 74 year old Richmond supporter. He started following the game in 1979, the same time as me. He had no real appreciation for the 1980 flag as a newcomer.

He has said for years now that he wants to see a Richmond flag before he dies. He refused to watch the games in full this year because he feared he was a jinx and instead flicked channels and sweated on score updates. I'm thrilled for supporters like my Dad who has had his heart broken so many times and who has celebrated the win through teary eyes with much humility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weak season
Good draw
41 fit players available in late September.
The umpires took a shine to their new playing style.
Martin had the season of his career
Swans & GWS were hampered by injury.
Amazing MRP result

A perfect storm occurred. It happens.

Weak season
Good draw
Amazing MRP result
Snake Baker forgot to wear his tinfoil hat on GF day
EFA

Weak season
Good draw
Amazing MRP result

I assume that good draw is not just 3 bottom 5 teams twice but also the fact their home, away and neutral finals were all played at home.

It seems in this thread unless you suck tiger utensil you get abused and reminded of a premiership that was manufactured.

But hey the only moderators around follow the other team gifted a premiership

Snippy little remarks are not going to change the way history will view this season, nor the way the majority think about it.
You're a majority of one Snake. But don't go changing. You're like a demented little one man Greek chorus that has punctuated a wonderful end of the season with tales of how Richmond are sure to be beat, won because of the umpires, the draw, the weather, the alignment of the planets, the kidnapping of the Adelaide team by anal-probing aliens the night before the Granny....It's been very entertaining.

I assume that good draw is not just 3 bottom 5 teams twice but also the fact their home, away and neutral finals were all played at home.
And played finals against three top 4 teams that for some reason were extremely poor on the day and were belted by 6+ goals.

Have they found your captain yet?

I gave credit to the players. I query those that came out and stated they built a team to win finals not to win a flag because they didn't think the supporters had the patience to rebuild properly.

It was very clumsily worded, and yeah, it did offend the supporters. They were essentially saying the club rose too quickly in the face of compromised drafts (0-9 start in 2010 to 5th place after h&a in 2013), which is true. They also said something about too many recycled players, which was strictly correct, but which apparently caused offence to Shaun Grigg and prompted him to confront club staff.

Hardwick also said it was the most talented list he'd had. I think the club knew it had latent talent but didn't quite know where it was going wrong. The gameplan needed to be completely re-worked; I doubted we could do it under Hardwick, let alone make it work to the tune of a premiership. I'm as shocked as anyone.

The intangible is the psychological/emotional aspect. The players apparently underwent some sort of Venusian mind-meld that brought out their collective best. There is some IP in that area that I doubt the club will be sharing.

It was very clumsily worded, and yeah, it did offend the supporters. They were essentially saying the club rose too quickly in the face of compromised drafts (0-9 start in 2010 to 5th place after h&a in 2013), which is true. They also said something about too many recycled players, which was strictly correct, but which apparently caused offence to Shaun Grigg and prompted him to confront club staff.

Hardwick also said it was the most talented list he'd had. I think the club knew it had latent talent but didn't quite know where it was going wrong. The gameplan needed to be completely re-worked; I doubted we could do it under Hardwick, let alone make it work to the tune of a premiership. I'm as shocked as anyone.

The intangible is the psychological/emotional aspect. The players apparently underwent some sort of Venusian mind-meld that brought out their collective best. There is some IP in that area that I doubt the club will be sharing.

There is the old saying about the game being 90% mental and I think the respective results of Richmond and GWS is a great example of this. Their administrative folly last year may just have created the mental mindset this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back