Richmond hierarchy aimed for finals, not a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Richmond need a Graeme Richmond type to come in and get the place going again. GR took no prisoners

Opinions are divided on Mal Brown, but he's shaken the place up to positive effect in the past. Probably too far out of the loop these days.

When you think about those 3 finals appearances,Hardwick has done an unbelievable job with a list that he had under his disposal.
If he left the club,every team would be hankeringfor his services and the media would say how wonderful he is for so and so.

Hardwick's hasn't achieved anything. No one would be hankering to sign him. The media would not praise him.

He finished mid-table three years running. Wow what an achievement.

Realistically I still think a lot of this comes down to being above the shoulders. And a lot comes down to that 2013 EF vs Carlton. Had they gone on to win by 30-60 points and put their foot down in the second half like they should have it would have been a very good launching pad, the momentum would have really been with them as a club and the Tiger Army would be back. You could feel it that day they were just itching to explode and reclaim their place in September - now it's like they've got blue balls from waiting so long. They've had the talent to finish top 4 at best the last few years (like North) but still have mental scars which mean they don't get the double chance and then lose first week. After 2013 they've clearly underachieved the last 2 years (in H&A more than in finals) and now they need to replenish their list before having another attack.

These comments from Richardson are bizarre though. They do not help, I can only imagine what the players will be thinking today.

I'll defend Richmond for once

Is it possible that they thought they needed to get the team into finals to boost membership, crowds, finances etc so that they could now do the long rebuild and they'd have the facilities and quality staff (recruiters/coaches/player development) to make a real go of it?

And that they figured they didn't have the right staff and facilities in 2009 to build to a premiership anyway?

Every team rebuilds via the draft and by adding established players.

The only thing separating Richmond here is that their footy manager has decided to come out publicly and state their ambition wasn't to win the flag.

I mean Melbourne didn't recruit Dawes, Lumumba, Vince and Cross to win the flag, but even they're not dumb enough to say it publicly.

We are also a hunted club.Opposition fans get great pleasure out of beating Richmond so we play a grand final every week.All the big 4 clubs face that imo.
I didn't know the fans kicked the goals for the team?!

The AFL must be the only competition in the world where you are crticised for trying to be competitive.

Admittedly his explanation is clumsy but he's not suggesting what many here are reading into it.

Oh yes he *in' is. Richmond supporters couldn't stomach an eight-year rebuild, from 'worse than Fitzroy'? *in' spare me.

Supporters pumped money into the FTF because they wanted the job done properly. Somewhere along the line, the club has strayed from the path.

Reads like a resignation notice to me.

Football manager has come out and says "We are rebuilding" six weeks into the season after making the finals three years in a row.

Now this is bloody funny.

The problem now for Richmond is if they can't turn it around this year how many members re-sign again for next season knowing that failure this year means a rebuild of some sorts.

The only thing separating Richmond here is that their footy manager has decided to come out publicly and state their ambition wasn't to win the flag.

I mean Melbourne didn't recruit Dawes, Lumumba, Vince and Cross to win the flag, but even they're not dumb enough to say it publicly.

Melbourne needed senior players to help bring on the young talent properly. Richmond were looking to play senior players instead of bringing on young talent. A few never got a good run at it.

They got to the 8 and looked to cheat the rebuild they knew they should have had further by throwing money and draft picks at Treloar and had to settle for Yarran.

If they felt they had the team to win, all that is fine. Admitting you knew you couldn't win a flag with this team and still trying to top it up is pretty desperate and insulting to your supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible that they thought they needed to get the team into finals to boost membership, crowds, finances etc so that they could now do the long rebuild and they'd have the facilities and quality staff (recruiters/coaches/player development) to make a real go of it?

And that they figured they didn't have the right staff and facilities in 2009 to build to a premiership anyway?

IF that is the case then Richardson should have said it, since he's spilling the truth anyway.

A rationale like that could make sense...but since he didnt mention it i doubt thats the actual reason otherwise he would have to appease members

Honestly what a load of bullocks. Sure the comments from the Richmond hierarchy might not have sounded good but isn't the goal of most clubs to get into the finals and then see what luck can do from there. Winning a flag is a lottery and only a few clubs have had the luck and the culture to build a team that has a great chance of bringing home flags. Richmond were close but one of the many teams that ultimately fell short.

Of course Richmond have underachieved the last few years but when they finished 5th it could have been so much different. Imagine they finished 4th (which as I remember they were unlucky not to) and from there they could have beaten Hawthorn as they have been capable of doing....anything could of happened from there as they say anything can happen in the top 4 but unfortunately for them it didn't and now its a moot point.

You could say the same about Ross Lyon teams. People say he doesn't have the ability to make the final step to a premiership (much like Richmond, North etc) but a few pieces of luck in key moments during grand finals or other finals and he cold have had 5 flags to show for it.

In my eyes Richmond have done the right thing making finals, they were just unlucky (and not coached well enough) to finish higher where they just might have pulled a flag out of it.

There were plenty of us on the Tiger bandwagon 2 or 3 years ago, hoping the best for them after so long in the wilderness. The joint lifts when the Tiges are up and about.

Now, in my case, I'm just sick of them being shithouse and serving up the same s**t all the time. I've gone from genuinely hoping they did well to now not really caring how they go. I just come on here for the lol's about them.

After what has been said, it seems the players were pushing s**t up hill all the time with no realistic hope of reaching the top.

Lol the passion and disgust in your tone when you are a Geelong supporter...imagine being a Richmond supporter!

The problem now for Richmond is if they can't turn it around this year how many members re-sign again for next season knowing that failure this year means a rebuild of some sorts.

If you are honest and transparent supporters get on board. We reset our expectations and look for small indicators we are on the right path. Look at the vibe around Carlton this offseason. However a new coach helps with that and a cynic would suggest Richmond knew this was inevitable and put Hardwick ahead of the fans by extending him early.

Top post. Naïveté in saying this out loud on SEN is astounding.

I'm calling bullshit on the whole thing. No way did the club sign off on a strategy 6 years ago to say "we will be good enough to play finals but never win the flag" - it's all just spin and back pedaling now that it looks like its gone to s**t. They thought this was the best way to build a premiership team. They thought they could use FA and their status as a big club to land a big recruit like Treloar or Shiel once the Giants players started to shake out (everyone even GWS knew they could never hold on to every single one of their picks). They're having trouble now landing those top name players and they've gone back a step. It's not doomsday but comments like this from Richardson won't be endearing the club to any recruits thinking about moving later this year (like Hurley for example).

Melbourne needed senior players to help bring on the young talent properly. Richmond were looking to play senior players instead of bringing on young talent. A few never got a good run at it.

They got to the 8 and looked to cheat the rebuild they knew they should have had further by throwing money and draft picks at Treloar and had to settle for Yarran.

If they felt they had the team to win, all that is fine. Admitting you knew you couldn't win a flag with this team and still trying to top it up is pretty desperate and insulting to your supporters.

This. Melbourne bringing in experience to develop youth is not the same as Richmond (apparently) doing so to simply make finals and keep the fans from leaving.

It's confusing. If the fans didn't leave for however long it was with just 2001 to hang their hats on, then why would they leave if the club was showing genuine intent to build a premiership list?

And it's Round f*cking 6 and their effectively saying they can't compete? Gee, that'll motivate the fans to turn up won't it? Counterproductive to the entire motive he has explained.

Safe to say I'm conf*ckled.

Nope, Melbournes goal was still to win a premiership. Apparently our goal for a period was just to make finals, big difference.

Patchwork is okay if the goal is still to win a premiership and avoid the spoon but not just to make finals.

Its like Tallegda nights, if your not first your last anyway, spoon or not except for the players and staff they get a pay cheque!

Honestly what a load of bullocks. Sure the comments from the Richmond hierarchy might not have sounded good but isn't the goal of most clubs to get into the finals and then see what luck can do from there. Winning a flag is a lottery and only a few clubs have had the luck and the culture to build a team that has a great chance of bringing home flags. Richmond were close but one of the many teams that ultimately fell short.

Of course Richmond have underachieved the last few years but when they finished 5th it could have been so much different. Imagine they finished 4th (which as I remember they were unlucky not to) and from there they could have beaten Hawthorn as they have been capable of doing....anything could of happened from there as they say anything can happen in the top 4 but unfortunately for them it didn't and now its a moot point.

You could say the same about Ross Lyon teams. People say he doesn't have the ability to make the final step to a premiership (much like Richmond, North etc) but a few pieces of luck in key moments during grand finals or other finals and he cold have had 5 flags to show for it.

In my eyes Richmond have done the right thing making finals, they were just unlucky (and not coached well enough) to finish higher where they just might have pulled a flag out of it.

Not sure Hardwick could've done much more. He's not the best coach in the league, but he reminded me of Laidley a little in his ability to get 6-8 plonkers into finals. Laidley did better (top 4, few finals wins), but seems similar to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back