Richmond in 2018: Another Bulldogs or here to stay?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by PP34, Oct 1, 2017.

Put it out there
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PP34

PP34 Finals MVP

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Watching the Tigers the last few weeks it was clearly obvious they were close to something special and yesterday obviously proved it.

Is this another case of a team having everything click into place for that one day in September?

They had a favourable draw, decent injury run, a changed gameplan that opposition teams struggled to deal with, a revival from Trent Cotchin and rise of Dustin Martin to mega star. Safe to say it all worked out beautifully.

Where do we see the Tigers go from here though? We all saw with the Bulldogs this year but going from underdogs to the team everyone wants to beat is a different challenge all together.

I think the Tigers are a better side, they didn't sneak into the 8 like the Dogs and their star talent is on another level to that of the Dogs.

Are they going to hang around towards the top of the ladder?

I've got doubts purely because I think they're one of the top teams that can least afford to have anything go wrong during a season. But then there's also the youth factor to consider. They had a number of players yesterday that have plenty of room for growth yet which certainly is a positive thing for the Tigers.

Philth, jreesosb, tigerT and 6 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. juss

juss Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    New York Jets, Detroit Pistons
    My god people are quick to try and shoot you down.

Tigers fans: we won the flag!
    *24 hours*
    Bigfooty: lol wont make finals next year

Anyway my tip, we will make the finals next year, hopefully make another September run, but given how even the comp is and us now being the hunted, I doubt we get to the GF again.

Mr Magic, TJASTA, Richo83 and 16 others like this.
  3. PP34

PP34 Finals MVP

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I'm not shooting Richmond down at all. Didn't say you wouldn't make the finals either.

Can't really blame neutral fans for wanting to look towards next year so quickly.

Aramis, tnk64, Richo83 and 19 others like this.
  4. unplugged

unplugged Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Depends, is Caracella contracted for next year?

Richo83, Dr Tigris, Richo Man and 2 others like this.
  5. coniglio_number1

coniglio_number1 Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other teams:
    Does it even matter if they don't? They just won a flag and the fans will cherish that forever

Aramis, Macca81, Richo83 and 19 others like this.
  6. NaturalDisaster

NaturalDisaster Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Fighting Furies
    Lol are people writing the dogs off over 1 down season?

Their issue was mostly off field/cultural.. Hard to play well as a team when one of your team mates is going around plowing everyones partners. They will be back up there.

fpcookie, TJASTA, Doggy and 15 others like this.
  7. Bazza97

Bazza97 Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I'd be really surprised if they missed the finals altogether next year, think they'll be in contention for the flag again.

Tiger2709, Rotayjay and Half Forward like this.
  8. demondavey

demondavey Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    The standard media line trotted out was that there was no issue with JJ and Stringer. I can tell you right now that the second JJ signed, Stringer was done. I'd be very surprised if they didn't bounce back next year with some off field issues sorted out.

The core group is in tact and i also think the Bob Murphy scenario held them up also. Good player, but done. And it was far too much about him. He shouldn't have played in 2017.

TiggyTig and gimp! like this.
  9. demondavey

demondavey Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was a Bulldogs v Port GF, or Bulldogs v Geelong GF. Adelaide, Richmond, West Coast will be thereabouts top 6. Reckon Bombers miss and Melbourne or St Kilda are in. Collingwood bolting up the ladder with Carlton and Hawthorn.

10. Adz

Adz Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    They’re A LOT more professional than the Bulldogs so should stay.

11. Grockadoc

Grockadoc Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Fighting Furies, Man Utd, Cavaliers
    I think the difference between us and the Bulldogs is the make up of our list profile. The dogs won the flag on the back of their youngsters having their best seasons in the AFL, and their older players were on their last legs for the most part.

Our older players still have a few years lift and we have a great balance of 18-21 year olds, 22-25 year olds and those over 25 which should help us have some form of sustained success.

The Dogs would always be up against in this year with so many youth players.

TJASTA, Richo83, Tiger2709 and 7 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. La Flama Blanca

La Flama Blanca Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    There is a strong history in the professional era of teams winning shock premierships and then missing the finals the following year - see Essendon 1993, Adelaide 1998, Hawthorn 2008 and the Western Bulldogs 2016.

Richo83, ____, blaisee and 3 others like this.
  13. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Is there enough threads on the tigers being the bulldogs

Aramis, Richo83, manboob and 6 others like this.
  14. PP34

PP34 Finals MVP

Carlton
    Other teams:
    It would be similar to Dogs fans this season I would have thought. Disappointing but still living off the high of the premiership. In saying that Richmond fans are a bit more demanding.
    I don't think it was all off field/cultural. Seems like one of those typical convenient excuses thrown out when a team has an off year.

They weren't ever that great to begin with, they just timed their run perfectly in 2016 and it worked out beautifully.

____ likes this.
  15. The Old Dark Navy's

The Old Dark Navy's Up, Up Cronulla

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Cronulla, Dallas Cowboys, Forest
    Surely it all comes down to desire. You naturally lose a little when you obtain the holy grail. It takes a solid experienced core to keep everybody focused and a fair bit of elite talent to win you games while being off the boil.

Richo83, rfctiger90, joelsyt and 7 others like this.
  16. Scanlens Man

Scanlens Man Debutant

GWS
    Other teams:
    I wasnt shocked they won - you could see it building the last 7-8 weeks of the season

17. captain cotch 9

captain cotch 9 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Timberwolves
    I couldnt give an F what happens next year haha.
    We just won the 2017 flag!!!!
    EAD haters!!

Richo83, Rotayjay, tigerT and 12 others like this.
  18. officialjc

officialjc Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Atlanta Hawks
    richmond have a much more dynamic gamestyle than the dogs. i was impressed by their short kicking and composure around the 50m arc particularly from rioli, edwards, vlaustin, etc. richmond are strong in inside 50 reentries which accentuates on a larger ground. richmond wont be as strong on a narrower ground like kardinia park or adelaide oval. whereas the unsustainable dogs gamestyle is all about breakneck speed, scrounging the ball from one end to the other and repeated efforts due to a lack of quality key position players.

19. The 747

The 747 Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    They have the best player in the comp and the best defender, that will keep them in contention. Hell a couple of gun mids keep our cobbled together batch of rookies and NQR blokes in the top 4.

Stylo, Richo83, johnno77 and 4 others like this.
  20. Bokonon_

Bokonon_ Cancelled

GWS
    Other teams:
    That's the key I think, the Bulldogs lack key position players which means their midfield has to be a fair bit better than the opposition. They were in 2016 but weren't this year. I dont see weakness in the tigers list and that's the difference in the prognosis.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Richo83, PerthBoy86 and Half Forward like this.
  21. CaptainHowdy87

CaptainHowdy87 All Australian

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    There's been some posts like that around here but I don't think the OP was like that at all.

SBD Gonzalez likes this.
  22. Bolly

Bolly Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    P Eagles, Liverpool, T Raptors, NYR
    As is the general consensus, all come down to desire to build on this success. Whatever happens next year, be it good or bad will be supported with a premiership. That's something that will comfort me through any traditionally Richmondy events that may occur. Think we'll be up and about with lots of kids still developing, amazing they took us this far. Bring on 2018! Looking forward to the next page in this story.

23. gordo2016

gordo2016 Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Yer, you would really know that. Another shit post.

Borussia Teeth and Half Forward like this.
  24. CaptainHowdy87

CaptainHowdy87 All Australian

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Definitely top 8 and most likely top 4 again.

I reckon the top 4 next year will be Adelaide, GWS, Port Adelaide and Richmond. Geelong will fall out of the 8. West Coast will be bottom 6. Melbourne will definitely make the 8 if they have better luck with injuries. St Kilda are coming along nicely and will definitely make the 8 in 2019 and might even get there in 2018 but the list is still pretty young.

Things are really motoring along for Richmond though and I see them definitely sustaining it next year and maybe even getting better with more games pumped into all the youngsters they still have.

I'd love to see Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda all in the 8 next year..........and Collingwood.

25. TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker The Phenom from Death Valley

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Brothers of Destruction
    ******* oath we can go back to back. Rance and Dusty are two of the best five in the comp and we have a damn young list.

Be very afraid campaigners, Richmond have patterns (long drought, lots of premierships, rinse and repeat)

1920-1943 (5 flags)
    1944-1966 (0 flags)
    1967-1982 (5 flags)
    1983-2016 (0 flags)
    2017-???? (1 flag+)

dingodance, Stylo, TJASTA and 22 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.