Richmond in 2018: Another Bulldogs or here to stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been copping it for decades, 9thmond, can't win a final, and this year it was a continuous stream about how we hadn't beaten anyone, had an easy draw, good run with injury (even though we played more players than anyone else this year), home advantage (seemingly this year it became a much bigger deal) and umpire favoritism (even though we had the worst free kick differential in the comp). Nobody rated us, so they clung to any excuse they could find, and are offended because they can no longer think they can shut down Richmond fans with the aforementioned crap we've been on the receiving end of forever.

But don't worry, you've still got the main board mods to protect you....Threads praising Richmond, or pointing out all the abuse we've copped and false claims made about us get shut down quickly and posters banned. While threads like this where people like you congregate to bag Richmond live on, and on, and on...

Mate, this is so ******* spot on

What a disgrace the main board is and what we have to put up with while the others get a free pass when it comes to spraying s**t our way

call us ninthmond and its fine, call any other team by anything other than their actual name and we ******* cop it

OK against a middle quality team, probably a problem against the good teams. The rest of the backline is quality. But Rance is on another level.

To be honest I reckon we'd cover Dusty better than Rance. Also losing Jack would be a major issue. We could play someone, but no where near the quality.

Lose Rance and Jack and the Tigers are probably toast as far as premierships go. Add in Nank and TROUBLE.

But then take the best 2 or 3 out of any team and see what happens.

We covered the loss of Jack for a couple of games, and went for an 'all small' forward line with Caddy as the focal point. That said, he was huge in the GF.

I think the telling thing is that at the end of our last few games when the game was done and the bench loaded with those the coaches didn't want to risk, it was Dusty, Rance, Cotchin & Nankervis on the pine. (happened twice, so I don't think it was coincidence).

Richmond is a hold at this stage. Had a very good run with injuries which they surely will not have two years running. They will make the finals and are one of about 5 teams that can win it. The others are crows, swans, gws and cats. Generally, if a victorian side is in the grand final they will win. Would like a neutral ground with neutral umpires and then we will have the real premier. Up until then all we have is a contrived competition.

Good run with injuries.

Richmond played 38 players through the year, only Carlton & GC played more (and they were probably playing kids).
Adelaide played 31, easily the lowest in the comp.

Who had the good run again?

Good run with injuries.

Richmond played 38 players through the year, only Carlton & GC played more (and they were probably playing kids).

How many games did Rance, Cotchin, Dusty and Riewoldt miss each?

Good run with injuries.

Playing 38 players does not mean that the changes were due to injury.
How many were match-up changes for example?

I know GWS is all about their stars and don't bother with a game plan, but we play 22 players and try to get them to work together. Chopping and changing all the time doesn't help that, whoever is going in and out.

Last edited:
Tigers do have more star power but all of them guys are in the prime of their careers age wise as well. Martin having a better year at 26 compared to what Bont can do as a 3rd year 20 year old is always going to be to Dustin's advantage.

Dogs had more guys on the next rung down that helped them to win a flag. Wouldn't say all of them definitely couldnt improve to go to another level either.
Oh it's not a knock on Bont, he at one point WILL be the best player in the game. People forget how young he is, wait til he's 25...

IMO if Richmond didnt win a flag while Rance, Reiwoldt, Cotchin and Martin where in their prime at the same time it would of been a massive failure.
Arguably they would all be in Richmonds best 20 players of all time.

Playing 38 players does not mean that the changes were due to injury.
How many were match-up changes for example?

I'm not going to go back and look at every change, but most were either due to injury, or reshuffling to try and cover for injury.

e.g. Griffiths went down.
We played Elton for a half a dozen games, and when we gave up on him, played Soldo for a few, and when we gave up on him played another small forward (or really, several, ending up with Townsend, but as I said, I'm not going to dig through the ins and outs of every game).

None of those 3+ players would have had a game if not for the original, long term, injury to Griffiths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how many players were you missing during finals?

Who cares?

PsnL0HO.gif
e53cS9i.gif

Is that your captain on his ass?

They are all very resilient players. You can't judge a side by how many games their stars missed. The four above have rarely missed a game in their careers, as many players don't. You do seem to get the same players getting injured, for us it is Griffiths, Conca and Edwards seems unlucky. We lost Vlaustin with a broken collarbone for 8 weeks, Edwards for 4 or 5, Riewoldt with poked eye for a couple. Houli 4 reported. So we had a reasonable run. The larger point is we finally have gotten successive seasons into Astbury and Grimes who had horrid seasons for years. And look at the difference that made.

And how many players were you missing during finals?

3 from memory.

But of course, all those missing during H&A shaped the finals. Adelaide finished on top by percentage, and were only half a game ahead of 4th, do you think they still would have been on top if they hadn't had such a good run during the season? Let's face it, if they'd had our injury run during the year, they probably wouldn't have made the GF at all.

The RFC manage injuries very well. that's part of the requirement to win a GF. Adelaide did very well for injuries in 2017.

If you go down the injury path then all teams are not going to have a good year in 2018. In the finals pretty much all of the top 4 had their best team, or very close to it. That's what you judge future on, not the chance of injuries.

They are all very resilient players. You can't judge a side by how many games their stars missed. The four above have rarely missed a game in their careers, as many players don't. You do seem to get the same players getting injured, for us it is Griffiths, Conca and Edwards seems unlucky. We lost Vlaustin with a broken collarbone for 8 weeks, Edwards for 4 or 5, Riewoldt with poked eye for a couple. Houli 4 reported. So we had a reasonable run. The larger point is we finally have gotten successive seasons into Astbury and Grimes who had horrid seasons for years. And look at the difference that made.

Turning up is probably the most underrated element of being a good player.

an 8/10 talent who is there every week is worth a hell of a lot more than a 9/10 guy who only plays half the games.

Almost every genuine star in the comp is someone who can get his body right to play every week, if he can't do that, he's not a star (unless he's older and breaking down, but still getting by on past glories like Ablett), so pointing out how a teams stars played almost every game is kinda redundant.

The other bit that gets ignored with how important injuries are is how easy it is to replace the guy. I remember quite a few years back, Richmond had very few injuries, but they were all in the one spot (KPD), and from memory we had to playing someone like Duncan Kellaway as full back for a while, because we simply had nobody else...but hey, we only had a short injury list! :rolleyes: This year, we lost Griffiths for almost the entire year. Sure, we could have tried rushing him back for finals, but when someone has a potentially career ending concussion, rushing isn't wise. Many here on BF don't rate him, but the role he plays is clearly very highly regarded by the coaches, because we suffered through 6 weeks of Elton (known dud, who was only only the list because we had cut our KPP stocks so far and needed to keep some mature tall depth) and 7 weeks of Soldo (a 20yo taken as a CAT B rookie ruckman, but way too young and raw to do the job) in a desperate attempt to cover his absence.

Should Doggy or Tiger fans care what others say

We have won the bloody premiership where others gave us both no hope and it was the BEST feeling ever!

Go Doggies 2016
Go Tigers 2017

And Go Demons/Saints 2018/2019

Go Tiges 2018, 19, 20, 21 and 22

Not that I am greedy.

But yeah, go anyone but he usual suspects

You know that is not what you meant, pretty pathetic of you to try to deflect and do it so poorly lol. If you ac

Could not have said it myself mate, its pathetic. Troll tigers openly, get a free pass. Tigers defend it, infracted. They should just be open and honest about it lol
You can wear your rose tinted glasses in disbelief if you want. It is actually quite laughable you think I am trying to change what I have said, is it still right there in black and white if you simply open your eyes.

Quite clearly in the original statement I said lock in a dogs like season while in the same sentence suggested you could miss finals. If having a dog like season meant locking in a 10th place finish obviously suggesting you may miss finals is a waste of time as that is already implied isn't it?

It seems pretty obvious if you actually read my post that having a bulldog like season didn't mean missing finals, the only difference between them this year and last was they didn't get up mentally for a couple of games they would have and from 7th that cost them a finals spot. You repeat it and you could miss finals or you could finish 5th or 6th depending on how even next season is.

One mod who’ll remain anonymous confirmed that the only reason a thread of mine was deleted was because I was a Richmond supporter and there are too many of us.

He said that.

Literally no other reason given.

Discrimination against Richmond supporters because there’s so many of us.

It sucks on here, but it helps us win huge finals in front of 90,000+ so I’ll take it!
Name and shame

I’m crying a ******* tear for Richmond supporters. Your team just won a flag and you’re all whining because some forum flog said something bad about the team you follow. Boo ******* hoo hoo.
Enjoy the win, stop worrying about what people say or just log off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back