Richmond in 2018: Another Bulldogs or here to stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm saying that if Richmond get injuries they won't get near it.
Ah that's fair enough man.

It's a good point you make - you got there in the end.

We had a good run this year, but played some cracking footy and it all came together nicely.

To win a flag you need to have a good side, a couple of stars, a good game plan, and a few things go your way.

To be the premier in an 18 team comp is a feat. But to back it up is trendously hard.
The odds say they won't do it. I don't think they will either. But a great result this year nonetheless.

Hopefully the drought breaks for your Saints soon.

Carbon copy?

Remind me who finished 7th and who finished 3rd?
And who slaughtered their opponents in every final.

Comparisons to the Dogs are misguided and short-sighted. We were far, far more impressive.

Whoa there, for a start we won 15 games, had the worst injury list than any other team, we would have won more games if we hadn't lost key important players, we had a harder draw because we made finals the year before. In the finals the Bulldogs did not play one home final, not one. The Bulldogs are the only Victorian team to have won two interstate finals, that's right the only team! We made history last year, the way we played no other team could have beaten us.

Contrast that with Richmond, easier draw from not making finals, played all finals at the one venue, home, no travel, no interstate finals, playing teams like GWS who had a lot of injuries. Good on you for winning it, pleased for the Tigers, but don't try and rubbish the feat the Bulldogs achieved, it was much tougher, we had Libba playing with a piece of metal holding his ankle together, Morris with a fractured back and it was a miracle McCrae made it back at all.

To say its a lock though is beyond silly to down right dumb. Trolls here just dont get how young our team actually was. We were the youngest of the finals side and 3rd youngest this year. If anyone thinks Rance, Cotch, Jack will allow the playing group to be in cruse mode are in for a surprise. What benefits us imo is that hardwick, leppa, caracella, and Balme all have played in premiership teams or lead them...they will know what to watch out for.

Sorry I am confused hearing constant references to your young players, Rance, Grigg, Hampson, Edwards, Houli, and Riewoldt are all 29 yo. Dusty and Cotchin are 26 and 27 yo. I mean Boyd was 21, Bont 20, Cordy 20, Daniels 20, Dunkley 19, that was key members of our our premiership team.

Whoa there, for a start we won 15 games, had the worst injury list than any other team, we would have won more games if we hadn't lost key important players, we had a harder draw because we made finals the year before. In the finals the Bulldogs did not play one home final, not one. The Bulldogs are the only Victorian team to have won two interstate finals, that's right the only team! We made history last year, the way we played no other team could have beaten us.

Contrast that with Richmond, easier draw from not making finals, played all finals at the one venue, home, no travel, no interstate finals, playing teams like GWS who had a lot of injuries. Good on you for winning it, pleased for the Tigers, but don't try and rubbish the feat the Bulldogs achieved, it was much tougher, we had Libba playing with a piece of metal holding his ankle together, Morris with a fractured back and it was a miracle McCrae made it back at all.
We both won 15 games, % difference was 2.9%. In the end we won 19 games to win it in 2016. As you said 3 away finals and the GF at a neutral venue.

yup, only played 38 players for the season. St.Kilda played 34. Adelaide 31.
We had 18 players play 10 games or less for the year, Saints had 10.
Our reserves lost the VFL Grand Final by a kick a kick. And we had our share of injuries, just not at the end of the season.

Just one question...
How many AFL listed players did you have available at VFL level?

Was there even one player injured at the pointy end of the year?

Just one question...

41 available players in the finals series.

I think Griffiths was the only one worth mentioning, and he sits in their generic bottom dozen group.

Just one question...

How many times would you like us to tell you we had a good run of injuries during finals. There said it again. Mine and other Richmond posters are not responding in relation to the final series now, but how we are told fairly regularly that we are an injury or two away from oblivion. Any number of excuses/reasons other than we played well when it mattered. We played 38 players for the year with a fair run of injuries.... only Carlton and Gold Coast used more.

How many times would you like us to tell you we had a good run of injuries during finals. There said it again. Mine and other Richmond posters are not responding in relation to the final series now, but how we are told fairly regularly that we are an injury or two away from oblivion. Any number of excuses/reasons other than we played well when it mattered. We played 38 players for the year with a fair run of injuries.... only Carlton and Gold Coast used more.

The reason you were an injury or two away from oblivion: your depth isnt fantastic (my opinion only)
The reason you werent an injury or two away from oblivion: similar to the bulldogs of 2016 your game style was dependent on foot soldiers doing their role.

A case can be made both ways...

The reason you were an injury or two away from oblivion: your depth isnt fantastic (my opinion only)
The reason you werent an injury or two away from oblivion: similar to the bulldogs of 2016 your game style was dependent on foot soldiers doing their role.

How is there a case? We played 38 players, the third most, 18 players played 10 games or under, which suggests we played a lot of young players. Riewoldt was out when we smashed Hawthorn, who were in great form, late in the season. Riewoldt I assume is one of those players that if injured would see us plummet. If Geelong lost Dangerfield would they likewise plummet. Our GF side will not be best 22 next year, there are some very exciting kids coming through.

How is there a case? We played 38 players, the third most, 18 players played 10 games or under, which suggests we played a lot of young players. Riewoldt was out when we smashed Hawthorn, who were in great form, late in the season. Riewoldt I assume is one of those players that if injured would see us plummet. If Geelong lost Dangerfield would they likewise plummet. Our GF side will not be best 22 next year, there are some very exciting kids coming through.

Using more players doesn't immediately mean you have good depth.
It could be because the bottom 6 haven't cemented their spot for the season so the team keeps changing with guys who have had good form in the 2nds.

Who from the best 22 from the grand final wont be next year?

Using more players doesn't immediately mean you have good depth.
It could be because the bottom 6 haven't cemented their spot for the season so the team keeps changing with guys who have had good form in the 2nds.

Who from the best 22 from the grand final wont be next year?
Well the bottom 6 or so in every side come and go a bit, and considering we came 3rd means by and large they did there job.
Players pushing hard for selection next year from are Bolton, Short, Menadue, Ellis, Moore, Markov, Garthwaite, Stengle, plus experienced & injured players like Conca, Griffiths, Lloyd and Miles. You may not know or rate them, but they were the main reason why our VFL team nearly won the GF. Players like Townsend, Castagna, Bolton, Broad, B.Ellis, MacIntosh etc will not want to drop of their form and intensity because the latter will be gunning for their spots... which is a good thing.

If you mean a case can be made that the Tigers were not an injury or 2 from oblivion due to the game style and depth of quality 'foot soldiers', then I agree. Like all bar the very best premiers, the Tigers had a tail of non-A grade players.

If you mean that there aren't players capable of helping in the GF that played VFL I'd disagree. Quite a few are young and would have been in that bottom 6 category. A fit Conca, on his early season form, would have been in the GF team if he'd had enough time playing VFL to get back to solid performance. Griff, Hmm he can be a star, but isn't due to constantly injuring himself. And he is more the traditional KPF style than Jack who does everything. Griff would have filled a role in the GF, if needed. Other than that players like Bolton and Stengle have a heap of talent, but a young. then guys like Markov and Short have shown excellent AFL capability, but couldn't dislodge Bachar et al.

So we had enough 'depth' of players capable of doing a solid role.

If you meant we could cover the top 4, then yes. No team has players that good playing 2nds. If you meant covering guys like Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis and Flossy then yep, we could cover them, but at a loss in quality. Sort of like every other team really.

Good depth, not fantastic. Much of that depth is young players coming through. many of whom have already shown genuine AFL quality.

If you mean a case can be made that the Tigers were not an injury or 2 from oblivion due to the game style and depth of quality 'foot soldiers', then I agree. Like all bar the very best premiers, the Tigers had a tail of non-A grade players.

If you mean that there aren't players capable of helping in the GF that played VFL I'd disagree. Quite a few are young and would have been in that bottom 6 category. A fit Conca, on his early season form, would have been in the GF team if he'd had enough time playing VFL to get back to solid performance. Griff, Hmm he can be a star, but isn't due to constantly injuring himself. And he is more the traditional KPF style than Jack who does everything. Griff would have filled a role in the GF, if needed. Other than that players like Bolton and Stengle have a heap of talent, but a young. then guys like Markov and Short have shown excellent AFL capability, but couldn't dislodge Bachar et al.

So we had enough 'depth' of players capable of doing a solid role.

If you meant we could cover the top 4, then yes. No team has players that good playing 2nds. If you meant covering guys like Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis and Flossy then yep, we could cover them, but at a loss in quality. Sort of like every other team really.

Good depth, not fantastic. Much of that depth is young players coming through. many of whom have already shown genuine AFL quality.

I'm actually making neither point.
I'm saying there is evidence that would support both arguments.

Reality is its probably somewhere in the middle.
No team can cover for a number of injuries to top players. We found that out in the GF after losing 2 very important players during finals.

Then again we got belted, so even if they both play I doubt we win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I am confused hearing constant references to your young players, Rance, Grigg, Hampson, Edwards, Houli, and Riewoldt are all 29 yo. Dusty and Cotchin are 26 and 27 yo. I mean Boyd was 21, Bont 20, Cordy 20, Daniels 20, Dunkley 19, that was key members of our our premiership team.

You sound confused, hampson did not play all year lol. Pay your attention to rioli 19 butler and castagna 20, graham 19, mcintosh 23, broad 20, vlaustin and ellis 24 next year.

All young, all premership players, we had 9 in the side under 60 games with plenty of upside:)

Just one question...

Wait, we had all these AFL standard players fit and ready to go... but we were only 1-2 injuries away from oblivion due to no depth.

Which is it?

I reckon we would've won either way, as long as we didn't get injuries to all of our stars or anything (which applies to any club, including yours).

Jack Graham was a no-name before, but we brought him in and he towelled up Sloane - we've got more kids like him waiting in the wings but you just don't know their names yet.

Wait, we had all these AFL standard players fit and ready to go... but we were only 1-2 injuries away from oblivion due to no depth.

Which is it?

I reckon we would've won either way, as long as we didn't get injuries to all of our stars or anything (which applies to any club, including yours).

Jack Graham was a no-name before, but we brought him in and he towelled up Sloane - we've got more kids like him waiting in the wings but you just don't know their names yet.

Dont quote half posts and you wont ask stupid questions.

You sound confused, hampson did not play all year lol. Pay your attention to rioli 19 butler and castagna 20, graham 19, mcintosh 23, broad 20, vlaustin and ellis 24 next year.

All young, all premership players, we had 9 in the side under 60 games with plenty of upside:)

Very good but your bookends. Rance and Riewoldt are old. Every team has young players the Bulldogs have a lot of young premiership players, who played four away finals and won. Cordy, played his 11 game in a premiership, Daniels, 21, Dunkley 19, Bont youngest ever winning captain was only 20, JJ Norm Smith Medalist, 24 McCrae 23. The Bulldogs had it harder, were more exciting, played stronger competition and won more games total.

Enjoy your premiership win, but don't get carried away. Oh and lastly, we had a crap year this year but still beat you, again;)

Rance just turned 28

I'm actually making neither point.
I'm saying there is evidence that would support both arguments.

Reality is its probably somewhere in the middle.
No team can cover for a number of injuries to top players. We found that out in the GF after losing 2 very important players during finals.

Then again we got belted, so even if they both play I doubt we win.
Yeah it's hard to say really.
I wonder whether if Adelaide had have ponied up their picks last year to get Gibbs in whether that would have made a difference. Or if they hadn't let Lyons go to Gold Coast for virtually nothing.

Who knows really.

Very good but your bookends. Rance and Riewoldt are old. Every team has young players the Bulldogs have a lot of young premiership players, who played four away finals and won. Cordy, played his 11 game in a premiership, Daniels, 21, Dunkley 19, Bont youngest ever winning captain was only 20, JJ Norm Smith Medalist, 24 McCrae 23. The Bulldogs had it harder, were more exciting, played stronger competition and won more games total.

Enjoy your premiership win, but don't get carried away. Oh and lastly, we had a crap year this year but still beat you, again;)
We are streets ahead of your mob Mate. You have one, yes one, elite footballer on your list, and he’s a gun no doubt.
We have four, and I think Prestia can get there too after a full preseason.
We are all one eyed when we analyse our own sides but we’ve been building for a shot at the title for four years or so. Your win was from absolutely nowhere.
Continuing to build our list is very important in my opinion, and we have moved on list cloggers like Elton, Hunt, Morris, Lennon etc. to be replaced by better quality players, I hope.
Getting hard to pick players to delist for end of next season but there’s sure to be some that will prove not worth retaining.
I’m happy with our list management over the last three or four years and hope they continue to make good decisions but only time will tell.
Question for you, why was Stringer dispensible as I really rated him

We are streets ahead of your mob Mate. You have one, yes one, elite footballer on your list, and he’s a gun no doubt.
We have four, and I think Prestia can get there too after a full preseason.
We are all one eyed when we analyse our own sides but we’ve been building for a shot at the title for four years or so. Your win was from absolutely nowhere.
Continuing to build our list is very important in my opinion, and we have moved on list cloggers like Elton, Hunt, Morris, Lennon etc. to be replaced by better quality players, I hope.
Getting hard to pick players to delist for end of next season but there’s sure to be some that will prove not worth retaining.
I’m happy with our list management over the last three or four years and hope they continue to make good decisions but only time will tell.
Question for you, why was Stringer dispensible as I really rated him

Oh come on mate, you have lost multiple finals series, when it comes to finals, is that what you call building, no finals wins at all before this year? Bulldogs have been playing prelims in 08-10 and then rebuilt again while you were fiddling your thumbs. As for the jab saying we have no elite players, a Norm Smith medalist, All Australian under 22 captain multiple times, young premiership players, because hey young young players don't get the recognition, which if your team was so young would be your problem too, aye?
As for Stringer, really sad to see him go as he was a favourite with the supporters, but as Richmond discovered this year, there is no I in team.

I dont know what your point is ? Your question was that you could not see our youth, i explained the youth then you seem to get all insecure and try to validate your side. I have never said the dogs are not a good side. Even though your main goal scorer has gone I still think you will challenge for at least making finals, be happy with that :)

As to our bookends being old LOL. Rance and Jack are both in there prime years and easily have another 3 or 4 years of peak performance. We have a couple of really decent bookends in the vfl who we are grooming that have performed well and took there side to a flag too.

As i said, plenty of upside at tigerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back