Richmond in 2018: Another Bulldogs or here to stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, there's not much I don't know, just ask.
Seriously though, I feel the 2nd and 3rd tier players had exceptional seasons and don't believe they can repeat those efforts.
ps. this finals series the only winner I selected was Syd over Ess.

Our second tier players just had solid seasons I think. They did their jobs. Who do you think was exceptional?

Trust me, there's not much I don't know, just ask.
Seriously though, I feel the 2nd and 3rd tier players had exceptional seasons and don't believe they can repeat those efforts.
ps. this finals series the only winner I selected was Syd over Ess.

Now that you have started your reply with.. 'seriously'.. Then you must be onto something, We will be wooden spooners next year.

Its hard to do in this era.... Hawthorn got lucky

Your oath to b2b will echo the Bulldogs. Rance to be the 2017 Stringer!
Rance is a Jehovah's Witness, he runs a sporting academy, he trains like few others, is in GOAT conversations in his position.

Stringer is a country bum, gambling addicted degenerate who bangs teenagers whilst his missus and kids are at home.

Please never mention the two in the same sentence.

One important thing we have going for us that other teams will struggle to replicate or counter in a single trade/draft period is serious speed.
We drafted the likes of Butler, Castagna, Rioli + Bolton, Menadue & Stengle as up-and-comers over the last 1-4 seasons to make our team one of the quickest out there. Unless we get smashed by injuries that isn't going to disappear next season.
I'm not saying other teams don't have quick players too, of course they do. But to get themselves a fleet of speedsters like we have may take several drafts to accomplish.

Forgotten we beat you by 76 points in Round 6? And Geelong beat you by 14pts.
Or are you pretending those losses didn't exist?

76 point loss was when we first trialled the mosquito fleet, and played with 1 ruckman. Though we lost the next three games we backed ourselves in with the plan with significant tweaks.

14 point loss at the cattery were without Riewoldt and Caddy, extremely blunt forward line, the loss of both of them at the very least cost us 2 goals.

Not concerned. The loss against the Saints hurt but it was quickly rectified too.

What I was concerned about were the performances in the finals. I still am, but I know my anxieties are not as awful as yours, so I shouldn't prance about calling the Crows as serial chokers, perennial underachievers, flat track bullies and the like.

I think the difference between us and the Bulldogs is the make up of our list profile. The dogs won the flag on the back of their youngsters having their best seasons in the AFL, and their older players were on their last legs for the most part.

Our older players still have a few years lift and we have a great balance of 18-21 year olds, 22-25 year olds and those over 25 which should help us have some form of sustained success.

The Dogs would always be up against in this year with so many youth players.

Fair call - but the influence of the Bulldogs' veterans in 2016 was only limited to 2 players (Matty Boyd and Dale Morris) Murphy only played 3 games at the start of the season.
Young teams are renowned for being a bit up and down so I'd agree with that.

What i would say is the Bulldogs won the 2016 flag with manic pressure. Maybe it's hard to maintain that year on year. I saw a lot of the same with Richmond this year so they might experience the same drop off.

"Snuck into the 8" is a funny way of saying two games off top and three games clear of eighth.

There are comparisons to be made around the style of play and the emotion of their respective runs but the list profiles are fairly different, as others have pointed out.

Another style might prevail next year, and that won't necessarily mean that Richmond have been found out or that this flag was a fluke.

We're so loath to give any credit where it's due, always looking to tear achievements down or diminish them in some way. It's depressing.

The tigers have a great squad and associated game plan. It might take a while for other clubs to work it out. But it will be worked out and stopped. I'm just hoping that it takes a couple of years to close down the tigers game plan.

The big positive is that the tigers have a special (maybe unique) group of small forwards. Fast, run all day, huge pressure and skilled. Plus a few talented young guys to fit in the forward line. Which could easily release Dan Rioli to the midfield. The core mature stars are around for 3-5 more years. So talent wise the team should not drop off for a few years.

then we have a few very talented young guys coming through to improve the squad as few players of importance get over 30. Grigg and Houli (esp) are getting there. They should be replaceable with our younger guys.

So a more solid base to build from than the Dogs. But never say never. Injuries to Dusty and Jack and we're in trouble.

That's okay, we can feast on Adelaide, GWS, and Geelong instead!

Averaged 50 point wins against these lot.
You didn't beat us by anything like that margin this year though. Hope you clubs less delusional going into next year.

You didn't beat us by anything like that margin this year though. Hope you clubs less delusional going into next year.

We beat you by 40, beat Adelaide by 48 and Geelong I stopped counting after we were 7 goals up.

GWS was our closest game all finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year I couldn't believe how many threads there were devaluing the Dogs flag. So I stuck for them

This year there are a hundred threads started by Gloating Tiges fans. It's a bit embarrassed to be honest

A hundred?
Give me the links to just 30.

Our second tier players just had solid seasons I think. They did their jobs. Who do you think was exceptional?

For them to consistently do the job they did, without injuries or fluctuations in form, is exceptional in itself.

The Tigers had 18 players play 20+ games, and 15 of those played 23 or more. That's an exceptionally settled line-up. A few injuries to the "water carrier" types in 2018, and suddenly things can go awry, a la the Bulldogs 2017, Hawthorn 2009, Essendon 1994, etc.

For them to consistently do the job they did, without injuries or fluctuations in form, is exceptional in itself.

The Tigers had 18 players play 20+ games, and 15 of those played 23 or more. That's an exceptionally settled line-up. A few injuries to the "water carrier" types in 2018, and suddenly things can go awry, a la the Bulldogs 2017, Hawthorn 2009, Essendon 1994, etc.
thank you.

Last year I couldn't believe how many threads there were devaluing the Dogs flag. So I stuck up for them

This year there are a hundred threads started by Gloating Tiges fans. It's a bit embarrassing to be honest

Been doubted and unsupported all year in here. It’s our turn now. We will continue to gloat :cool:

I think their pressure game plan and small forward line caught a lot of sides off guard this year, especially in finals where no one knew how to play them with the crowd behind them.

Even before 2017 their best football was premiership quality but they were mentally weak and couldn't sustain it for more than 10 weeks. It seems they've turned a corner and can now do that for a season.

The game will always evolve and their lack of height might become an issue but they'll be in the mix you'd think. Even if they don't get near it they won't mind at all.

They will be top 8 again no doubt. Where they finish in that 8 however I have no idea.

Their back 6 along with Martin and Cotchin will keep them in games.

The tougher draw will hurt along with being the hunted instead of the hunter.

I see them falling away alittle but not much.

I will say fifth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back