Strategy Richmond is considering playing 184cm Marlion Pickett as its second ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
He came close to winning the Norm Smith Medal in an amazing Grand Final debut, now Marlion Pickett could be handed an even more surprising job as the Tigers figure out their ruck plans.

Shaun Grigg was the most unlikely premiership ruckman, and Marlion Pickett could be the next.

Richmond is considering aborting the dual-ruck formula which delivered last year’s flag and unleashing 184cm Pickett as its understudy.

The Tigers have flip-flopped on their ruck strategy for several seasons and still remain unsure whether they will carry both Toby Nankervis and Ivan Soldo into next week’s clash against Collingwood.

Should coach Damien Hardwick opt for one ruckman, Grand Final hero Pickett is being groomed to play a Grigg-like support role.

“We didn’t really try Shaun Grigg either (at training), but I throw (Pickett’s) name out there just as a possibility because he’s one of the more mobile, leaner-type midfielders that can do that,” assistant coach Justin Leppitsch said today.

“We haven’t confirmed that (Soldo and Nakervis) will play, it’s still the debate we’ve been having for about three years and two games.

“It changes all the time. We saw in Round 1 when Carlton went with Levi (Casboult), with the injury to (Matthew) Kreuzer, it gave them a bit more mobility. So I think teams are looking now at do you play two?”

Leppitsch hinted that against opponents like Collingwood and West Coast – who the Tigers play in their first block of games – both Nankervis and Soldo were likely to play.

That is to take on the tandem acts of Brodie Grundy and Mason Cox (Magpies) and Nic Naitanui and Tom Hickey (Eagles).

“It’s going to be a week-to-week proposition for us,” Leppitsch said.

Pickett, 28, was one of the standouts over the normal pre-season and is certain to play as a midfielder every week, regardless of the ruck situation.

The Tigers grinded through full-scale match simulation at Punt Rd today as players desperately fight for places in the Round 2 team.

“We often limit certain types of contact, but it was every man for himself out there today and it was a pretty strong contest,” Leppitsch said.

Jack Ross, who is being trialled at halfback, Jack Higgins, Sydney Stack and Jack Graham are all in contention for the final couple of places on the interchange bench.

Veteran Bachar Houli missed Round 1 with a calf strain however is ready to return against the Pies next week.

Leppitsch said Melbourne’s chilly winter could also impact selection.

“Often the first month is much faster, but is it still going to be that way this month, given the temperature we may be playing in?” he said.

“Is it going to be back to the midst of winter-type footy where it’s a bit more hard and competitive? I think we’re all still a little unsure.

“That tends to lean to which way you go on the selection table as well.”

The Tigers have refused to stand down any of their assistants and will go into Round 2 with nine coaches included in the club’s 25-man football department.

“Obviously being an assistant coach I’m pumped the club went that way,” Lepptisch said.

“But not an easy time for administrators in our game to make calls on who their favourite staff are when realistically I know they want to employ everybody.”

I think against Collingwood Nankervis and Pickett might be the go.

With Reiwoldt and Lynch there are the talls and Nank can run with Grundy and try and halve utilise his second efforts and Collingwoods strength is the midfield we would try to match

Others games might even have CCJ and Soldo playing together. Who is Richmond playing in round 3 can we give Nank a break for round 3 or where there is a 5 day gap?

Has Pickett tried it?? Wouldn't want to put his body on the line too hard in certain scenarios.

Soldo and CCJ against the Hawks might work, Nank can have a break

Last edited:
With shortened quarters most ruckman were playing 100% TOG or very close to it. If Marlion goes into the ruck it’ll be at maybe one stoppage while nank or Soldo take a breather. The story is pretty stupid, other teams like the bulldogs do something similar

How about getting some games into Callum Coleman-Jones if they are worried about having 2 Ruckman of the same type playing.

Last thing I want to see is someone like North Melbourne or Carlton come along and offer the kid more playing opportunities.
First thing I thought too , don’t like the idea and doing so would have the likes of CCJ one foot out the door

I think against Collingwood Nankervis and Pickett might be the go.

With Reiwoldt and Lynch there are the talls and Nank can run with Grundy and try and halve utilise his second efforts and Collingwoods strength is the midfield we would try to match

Others games might even have CCJ and Soldo playing together. Who is Richmond playing in round 3 can we give Nank a break for round 3 or where there is a 5 day gap?

Has Pickett tried it?? Wouldn't want to put his body on the line too hard in certain scenarios.

Soldo and CCJ against the Hawks might work, Nank can have a break
2 pure ruckmen is dead with shortened quarters. No one will use it. We should just play nank and soldo at 100% game time. Rotate them if one needs a rest from playing too much. 100% game time is the same number of minutes that Nank used to play in 2017

We just won the ruddy flag with 2 rucks whadya mean
we've won flags with one ruck too. I don't think we should play with one ruck vs the pies. Our ruck combo worked against Carlton . Their one ruck choice backfired. Rucks are handy for standing in holes in front of tall fwds.

Last edited:
First thing I thought too , don’t like the idea and doing so would have the likes of CCJ one foot out the door
JR (& Dave) is the tall closest to retiring. CJ might fill his shoes. But CJ is contracted so we will be compensated well. Nank has recovered; Soldo is improving; Chol actually did alright in the ruck; Balta plays there & Nyoun can play there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair Leppa did mention he was only throwing names out there and all scenarios were on the table except they wouldn't be considering Dion as the second ruckman! :think: :D

Pretty sure I've heard Marlion mention in an interview that he's played ruck in WA.

I heard that to.

Still its all relative. He might have the mental toughness for the challenge though.

I can see were some are coming from with 16 min quarters where the second ruck does not really get much of a look in.

This is where hybrid rucks that are quite competitive could be important. Down the track if Balta, CCJ and Nyoun and others like Chol can play a few roles effectively could be interesting in the current quarter time limits

I think it makes sense and helps him lock a spot in the 22, Nank should really be the main man and then hopefully Balta comes in as a booming tall wingman that can chip in, or CCJ as the ruck/fwd.

One of the worst teams to not play a second ruck against is Collingwood in my opinion. Grundy and Cox/Cameron will smash us if we don't have an actual match up. I don't think quarters are shortened enough for us to forego the 2 ruck set up.

We can trial this when playing a team like Essendon or even GWS. Please not against Collingwood.

To be fair Leppa did mention he was only throwing names out there and all scenarios were on the table except they wouldn't be considering Dion as the second ruckman! :think: :D

They played Rioli as ruck, so why not the Meatball?
1591316967073.png

They played Rioli as ruck, so why not the Meatball?
View attachment 886995

Rioli would be interesting as ruck, especially one without a physical presence so he does not get hurt.

The other scenario is Dusty virtually playing the whole game. Middle/resting forward and how the other rotations work from that as well as other player options.

What about Markov in the ruck? He has a leap on him. I assume there are a few interesting scenarios

Last edited:
Rioli would be interesting as ruck, especially one without a physical presence so he does not get hurt.

The other scenario is Dusty virtually playing the whole game. Middle/resting forward and how the other rotations work from that as well as other player options.

What about Markov in the ruck? He has a leap on him. I assume there are a few interesting scenarios

Personally I'd rather try and win the ruck and dominate stoppages. I reckon Soldo and Nank do that. But simply not trying to win the ruck and dominate the groundball is a proven tactic - except when it doesn't work. Sometimes an oppo ruck can take advantage and provide gold plated service. SO I'd look at the mid as ruck ploy only against teams without a quality ruck duo.

Although I'd rather keep the team structure fairly stable, rather than chopping an changing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back