List Mgmt. Richmond Player Contract Statuses - Updated 15/9/2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Drummond wont and shouldnt be delisted, Kid has been unlucky with injuries but shown enough that the club rates him

Yarran is still on the list and will be delisted and Batchelor,Miles,Lennon will be shopped

Didn't Drummond just do another ACL? Fair enough if the club thinks he can eventually come back, but maybe delist and rookie?

Not sure Batchelor has any value at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised on the other two though.

Didn't Drummond just do another ACL? Fair enough if the club thinks he can eventually come back, but maybe delist and rookie?

Not sure Batchelor has any value at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised on the other two though.
There wont be a Rookie list after this year from whats been written, just a list of 44 players + Cat b

Out of contract this year are the following players - What should we pay them or delist trade them

Dustin Martin - $1 million + $100k for Jack Dyer Medal /$50k for top 5 + $100k for Brownlow medal
Brandon Ellis - $200k x 3 years (match payments $5000 game)
Shaun Grigg - $200k x 1years (match payments $5000 game)
Ben Lennon - Delist / Trade
Jake Batchelor - Delist /trade or if need to keep for depth $100k x 1 years (match payments $5000 game)
Daniel Rioli - $150k x 3 years (match payments $5000 game)
Ivan Maric - Retire
Jacob Townsend - Delist
Kane Lambert -$150k x 2 years (match payments $5000 game)
Kamdyn McIntosh - $200k x 3 years (match payments $5000 game)
Nathan Broad - Delist
Nathan Drummond -$60k x 2 years (match payments $5000 game)
Steven Morris - Retire /Delist
Daniel Butler - $150k x 3 years (match payments $5000 game)
Todd Elton - Delist

Rookie List Players

Callum Moore - $60k x 2 years
Mabior Chol - $60k x 2 years
Tyson Stengle - $60k x 2 years
Jason Castagna - $100k x 3 years (match payments $5000 game)
Ivan Soldo - $60k x 2 years

Out of contract this year are the following players - What should we pay them or delist trade them

Dustin Martin - $1 million + $100k for Jack Dyer Medal /$50k for top 5 + $100k for Brownlow medal
Jake Batchelor - Delist /trade or if need to keep for depth $100k x 1 years (match payments $5000 game)
Ivan Maric - Retire
Jacob Townsend - Delist
Nathan Broad - Delist
Todd Elton - Delist

Rookie List Players

You have a lot of competition, but this could be the most delusional post I have seen on here. They have just said the new average will be like $370K for an AFL player excluding rookies, yet everyone bar Dusty will be at least $170K lower than average that will sign a new contract? I don't know where else to start..

You have a lot of competition, but this could be the most delusional post I have seen on here. They have just said the new average will be like $370K for an AFL player excluding rookies, yet everyone bar Dusty will be at least $170K lower than average that will sign a new contract? I don't know where else to start..
Average players salaries take into account player averages across the board
It would be really interesting to see how you could fit players like Prestia (700k) Martin (1.1 mil) Rance (800k) Jack (700k) Cotchin (850k) Caddy (500k) and still pay the remainder the average afl salary.

just out of interes , would be good to see what you would have these players getting - Just copy/paste and edit , lets have a look

Average players salaries take into account player averages across the board
It would be really interesting to see how you could fit players like Prestia (700k) Martin (1.1 mil) Rance (800k) Jack (700k) Cotchin (850k) Caddy (500k) and still pay the remainder the average afl salary.

just out of interes , would be good to see what you would have these players getting - Just copy/paste and edit , lets have a look
The cap is going up by around $2m a year so they'll figure it out

Ivan Maric - Retire
Jacob Townsend - Delist
Nathan Broad - Delist
Todd Elton - Delist

Rookie List Players

Match payments are a thing of the past for most players apart from recent draftees. It also helps to arrange your TPP better.

match payments for players on the cusp that are not regulars or best 25
Yes I understand that but clubs don't do match payments that much any more. It makes it harder to do your salary cap ie if you had 15 players on match payments then you have to include that money in their deal, so you end up having a lot of cash that might not be used. Some of that money can be used to get another player. I just think having new draftees is fine, but you had a lot of players on them, and I bet managers are saying no, we want guaranteed money. Just on your figures, you could up the base money and have no game payments.

Yes I understand that but clubs don't do match payments that much any more. It makes it harder to do your salary cap ie if you had 15 players on match payments then you have to include that money in their deal, so you end up having a lot of cash that might not be used. Some of that money can be used to get another player. I just think having new draftees is fine, but you had a lot of players on them, and I bet managers are saying no, we want guaranteed money. Just on your figures, you could up the base money and have no game payments.
Teams would know which players are likely to get how many games to a reasonable degreee, The players that i have getting match payments are either players less likely to get games or young players only been at the club 1-2 years and their development would be predictable.
example at the start of the year if you were to have asked me how many games the following players would get my guess would have been
Rioli 18+
Bolton 5 +
Graham 0-3
Broad 3
Garth 3
Elton 8-10
etc etc

Also if you dont add match payments you would most likely need to pay them more of a base, Another part of the answer to your comment is that the salary caps are now 3 years and liquid between 95%-105% and that gives you scope to use unused money's the following year to front end some deals or if in arrears you have the ability to pull back the next 2 years.

I think match payments are still a very good tool that list managers use and can be more flexible in their contract negotiations with players.

e.g. Lets just say the for example Shai Bolton comes out and wants a new deal at around $400k, It would be terrible for us to give him $400k for a player thats 1-2 years in unless he is a gun already similar to dusty was but we could do something like $200k a year + $10,000 match payments which could be a max of $450k but if he isnt performing and not getting games like Lennon then your exposure is minimal and would only get $300k if only plays 10 games. But allows the player to earn what he is wanting 'IF' he performs

Teams would know which players are likely to get how many games to a reasonable degreee, The players that i have getting match payments are either players less likely to get games or young players only been at the club 1-2 years and their development would be predictable.
example at the start of the year if you were to have asked me how many games the following players would get my guess would have been
Rioli 18+
Bolton 5 +
Graham 0-3
Broad 3
Garth 3
Elton 8-10
etc etc

Also if you dont add match payments you would most likely need to pay them more of a base, Another part of the answer to your comment is that the salary caps are now 3 years and liquid between 95%-105% and that gives you scope to use unused money's the following year to front end some deals or if in arrears you have the ability to pull back the next 2 years.

I think match payments are still a very good tool that list managers use and can be more flexible in their contract negotiations with players.

e.g. Lets just say the for example Shai Bolton comes out and wants a new deal at around $400k, It would be terrible for us to give him $400k for a player thats 1-2 years in unless he is a gun already similar to dusty was but we could do something like $200k a year + $10,000 match payments which could be a max of $450k but if he isnt performing and not getting games like Lennon then your exposure is minimal and would only get $300k if only plays 10 games. But allows the player to earn what he is wanting 'IF' he performs

Yes I understand the concept and the plus and minuses. But there will be a time when players need to swap over to all base payments and I sometimes wonder if that mechanism hinders balancing the cap. So in your eg 450k potential, just for arguments sake a player does this and is out of contract that year. Managers want to max their players earnings, so of course will want close to that in guaranteed money. If they weren't on that match payment system, but a higher base only, at least you know what he will get paid in total and can plan around that figure, whilst the match payment guy you to add all his potential earnings. I just see that as a better way to do it, out side of new draftees which is mandated. Also the 95%-100% applies either way you do it. Plus I am not saying don't do any of this type either, just saying it would be at a minimum imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I understand the concept and the plus and minuses. But there will be a time when players need to swap over to all base payments and I sometimes wonder if that mechanism hinders balancing the cap. So in your eg 450k potential, just for arguments sake a player does this and is out of contract that year. Managers want to max their players earnings, so of course will want close to that in guaranteed money. If they weren't on that match payment system, but a higher base only, at least you know what he will get paid in total and can plan around that figure, whilst the match payment guy you to add all his potential earnings. I just see that as a better way to do it, out side of new draftees which is mandated. Also the 95%-100% applies either way you do it. Plus I am not saying don't do any of this type either, just saying it would be at a minimum imo.
Agree , Depending on the player and his status at the club there will be a time where the contract is a set $$$ amount e.g grimes,Astbury,Cotchin,Dusty etc
But when you have players are someting like 28-44 who are not established players on the edge of playing limited games or a player like maric,morris,hunt then you cant just give them $300k + contracts
they are way too rigid and the club would always be over paying.

I wouldnt be suprised if 50% of playing list would be on match payments plus low base

Agree , Depending on the player and his status at the club there will be a time where the contract is a set $$$ amount e.g grimes,Astbury,Cotchin,Dusty etc
But when you have players are someting like 28-44 who are not established players on the edge of playing limited games or a player like maric,morris,hunt then you cant just give them $300k + contracts
they are way too rigid and the club would always be over paying.

I wouldnt be suprised if 50% of playing list would be on match payments plus low base
That's 16 players on this type, and I just cant see the club doing that much, but anyway. Plus don't forget full contracts don't have to 300k+. It would be interesting to what it actually is, but that stuff we will never find out.

Maric - Retire
Hampson - Please retire
Hunt - Just F off
Townsend - Hollywood need a stuntman
Morris - We have an assistant vfl development role for you
Broad - Get another Tatt .............. In western Australia
Griffiths - Mate look after your health, Its just not meant to be
Elton - Next year you are a free agent lets help you and do it now
Lennon - There's a role for you at Carlton ( Cleaning the toilets after games)

For Sale
Edwards - Been sneaking under the radar for years with cameo appearances but never ever a game changer
Lambert - Best years were at the Blues (northern)
Batchelor - Just doesnt do enough, might be ok at another club
Cellis - Softly Softly

Lambert - Best years were at the Blues (northern) :oops::oops::oops: :drunk::drunk:

Ivan Maric - Retire
Jacob Townsend - Delist
Nathan Broad - Delist
Todd Elton - Delist

Rookie List Players

Youre really bad at this. The average wage next year is $380k and you think Ellis will play for 200, Grigg 200 (would be top 5 in our B&F after 14 rounds), lambert and rioli on 150...

You do realise that Rioli is more likely to be on 400k from next year... he'll be on a deal that will take him to RFA status and is likely to get 2m over 5 years.

Youre really bad at this. The average wage next year is $380k and you think Ellis will play for 200, Grigg 200 (would be top 5 in our B&F after 14 rounds), lambert and rioli on 150...

You do realise that Rioli is more likely to be on 400k from next year... he'll be on a deal that will take him to RFA status and is likely to get 2m over 5 years.
Ok sunshine i will listen to your opinion and not comment on your post , But if you have the courage to do alist on what you believe the list will be paid similar to what i did - You will gain everybody's respect here BUT if you dont then your just full of Sh!t - Go on lets see how good at this you are

New Salary cap 12.25mil. These salaries would make our cap 12.2 million. I put most players on what I think they are on now. But have Dusty getting 1 mill.

350 Nick Vlastuin

350 Dylan Grimes

750 Dion Prestia

1,000 Dustin Martin

350 Brandon Ellis

450 Shaun Grigg

200 Ben Lennon

600 Jack Riewoldt

600 Trent Cotchin

350 Shane Edwards

350 Jake Batchelor

400 David Astbury

400 Bachar Houli

150 Jayden Short

350 Shaun Hampson

100 Daniel Rioli

700 Alex Rance

300 Ivan Maric

100 Jacob Townsend

450 Josh Caddy

200 Kane Lambert

300 Ben Griffiths

400 Toby Nankervis

350 Anthony Miles

300 Sam Lloyd

350 Taylor Hunt

70 Shai Bolton

300 Reece Conca

100 Oleg Markov

150 Cory Ellis

200 Kamdyn McIntosh

70 Jack Graham

70 Nathan Broad

70 Callum Moore

150 Connor Menadue

300 Steven Morris

100 Nathan Drummond

100 Daniel Butler

70 Mabior Chol

70 Ryan Garthwaite

150 Todd Elton

70 Tyson Stengle

75 Jason Castagna

75 Ivan Soldo

New Salary cap 12.25mil. These salaries would make our cap 12.2 million. I put most players on what I think they are on now. But have Dusty getting 1 mill.

350 Nick Vlastuin

350 Dylan Grimes

750 Dion Prestia

1,000 Dustin Martin

350 Brandon Ellis

450 Shaun Grigg

200 Ben Lennon

600 Jack Riewoldt

600 Trent Cotchin

350 Shane Edwards

350 Jake Batchelor

400 David Astbury

400 Bachar Houli

150 Jayden Short

350 Shaun Hampson

100 Daniel Rioli

700 Alex Rance

300 Ivan Maric

100 Jacob Townsend

450 Josh Caddy

200 Kane Lambert

300 Ben Griffiths

400 Toby Nankervis

350 Anthony Miles

300 Sam Lloyd

350 Taylor Hunt

70 Shai Bolton

300 Reece Conca

100 Oleg Markov

150 Cory Ellis

200 Kamdyn McIntosh

70 Jack Graham

70 Nathan Broad

70 Callum Moore

150 Connor Menadue

300 Steven Morris

100 Nathan Drummond

100 Daniel Butler

70 Mabior Chol

70 Ryan Garthwaite

150 Todd Elton

70 Tyson Stengle

75 Jason Castagna

75 Ivan Soldo

Good effort, but based on the AFL 2016 TPP data you have way too many players earning < $100k and not enough in the $200k to $300k range. Drop a few from your $300k to $400k range (e.g. Taylor Hunt and Jake Batchelor) and you would be closer to the mark.

upload_2017-7-4_19-11-14.png

upload_2017-7-4_19-12-3.png

Great effort mate... the only ones l reckon might be slightly different are:

350 Dylan Grimes (slightly high)

450 Shaun Grigg (reckon probably 400)

350 Shane Edwards (reckon probably 400)

350 Jake Batchelor (think he'd be on far less - probably 250)

400 David Astbury (at the moment, probably 325... but will go above 500 soon enough)

350 Shaun Hampson (reckon he would be over that - just a ruckman price)

300 Ivan Maric (similar to Hampson... reckon we paid overs)

450 Josh Caddy (would be high 5's, possibly 6's - was one of the highest paid at Geelong)

350 Anthony Miles (less than this - probably 250)

350 Taylor Hunt (no chance, same as Miles... was on scrap heap when we picked him up - probably 200)

300 Steven Morris (reckon less... 225)

Great effort mate... the only ones l reckon might be slightly different are:

350 Dylan Grimes (slightly high)

450 Shaun Grigg (reckon probably 400)

350 Shane Edwards (reckon probably 400)

350 Jake Batchelor (think he'd be on far less - probably 250)

400 David Astbury (at the moment, probably 325... but will go above 500 soon enough)

350 Shaun Hampson (reckon he would be over that - just a ruckman price)

300 Ivan Maric (similar to Hampson... reckon we paid overs)

450 Josh Caddy (would be high 5's, possibly 6's - was one of the highest paid at Geelong)

350 Anthony Miles (less than this - probably 250)

350 Taylor Hunt (no chance, same as Miles... was on scrap heap when we picked him up - probably 200)

300 Steven Morris (reckon less... 225)
I know Anthony Miles and his salary is not 200+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back