List Mgmt. Richmond Player Contract Statuses - Updated 15/9/2023

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
Next year we have ALOT of players to sign.. .I hope we have the cap space. Rioli salary is going to rise a lot, as is Vlastuins and Lamberts. Surely big offers are going to come at Lambert.

Macintosh and Butler will also be in for a rise. I could see Macintosh heading home if Fremantle or West Coast throw a decent chunk of cash at him.

Could see us maybe getting rid of Butler.

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-09-14/tiger-trio-sign-on

Richmond has re-signed premiership players Shaun Grigg and Bachar Houli, along with emerging Tiger, Oleg Markov.

Markov has signed a two-year deal, while 30-year-olds Houli and Grigg have both signed one-year contracts.

Minor calf and knee injuries interrupted Markov’s 2018 campaign, however the 22-year-old wing/half-back played 10 games for Richmond's VFL side, including two finals.

Grigg, a 213-game premiership player has been a consistent contributor in season 2018, showing his versatility in the midfield once again by supporting Toby Nankervis in the ruck.

Houli returned to his rebound-defending duties for the final three home-and-away games, and was an important player in the Tigers' qualifying final win over Hawthorn after overcoming a groin injury in the middle of the season.

“We’re really pleased that Shaun, Bachar and Oleg will continue their football journeys with Richmond, they’re fantastic players and people,” Richmond General Manager – Football, Neil Balme said.

“Oleg is an exciting young talent and we’re really happy with how he’s tracking. We’re looking forward to seeing him continue his development next season and beyond.

“Bachar and Shaun provide such great experience and leadership for us in addition to their on-field contributions, so we’re rapt they’ve signed on for next season.”

W4RT1G3R

Debutant
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Could see us maybe getting rid of Butler.
Why do people always suggest getting rid of Butler, he ads a lot to the forward line, when he gets going along side Castagna they are very hard to stop and are constantly swarming. Yes the two of them have frustrating moments but they provide structure, pressure and flair. Butlers out a the moment and will be a toss up to break back into the team by the end of the season but is likely to be right back in next year.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I hope not...

Hope not we are better with him in the team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope not either, but I think we have to understand as supporters that other clubs are bound to chase our players and offer better money than we can and at the end of the day if I had to choose between Vlastuin, Rioli and Butler, then Buts is unfortunately the most replaceable in that pool.

That would be stupid, the guy has elite speed, good skills and has only just turned 22
Would have a lot more on the list to move on before him

Who? As far as players go who are soon to be out of contract Butler has a few ahead of him who we require a signature off. To reiterate, I don't want him to go but as far as who we can replace on our list, we have a glut of small forwards in the VFL who would be more than capable in taking Butler's spot.

Why do people always suggest getting rid of Butler, he ads a lot to the forward line, when he gets going along side Castagna they are very hard to stop and are constantly swarming. Yes the two of them have frustrating moments but they provide structure, pressure and flair. Butlers out a the moment and will be a toss up to break back into the team by the end of the season but is likely to be right back in next year.

Of course, he is best 22 in a fully fit list, but for the third time he is unfortunately one of those players who can be replaced by the blokes we have coming through.

W4RT1G3R

Debutant
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course, he is best 22 in a fully fit list, but for the third time he is unfortunately one of those players who can be replaced by the blokes we have coming through.

While I think that is possible, those that may replace him are likely to rotate through the midfield more or play alternate positions like Bolton on the half back, where as butler plays his role predominately forward, occasionally running through the square.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
While I think that is possible, those that may replace him are likely to rotate through the midfield more or play alternate positions like Bolton on the half back, where as butler plays his role predominately forward, occasionally running through the square.

Too true. I've also heard a fair bit recently that small forwards may have the toughest job on the field, so it probably speaks volumes to the talents of Butler. But, I think versatility shouldn't be looked upon as a weakness in regard to Bolton and Higgins.

Honestly, I just count myself lucky I'm not having to make these kinds of decisions at club level. More than happy melting about them on the internet and to whoever will listen at the pub. :beermug:

W4RT1G3R

Debutant
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Too true. I've also heard a fair bit recently that small forwards may have the toughest job on the field, so it probably speaks volumes to the talents of Butler. But, I think versatility shouldn't be looked upon as a weakness in regard to Bolton and Higgins.

Honestly, I just count myself lucky I'm not having to make these kinds of decisions at club level. More than happy melting about them on the internet and to whoever will listen at the pub. :beermug:

For sure, versatility when done well is a massive weapon.

Very true, making these decisions, that we all talk about on here would definitely be one of the hardest things to do. To go with that its impossible to please everyone with a decision, there will always be those that don't like one player being put in over another.
In the end however it makes for good discussion on the boards particularly if the Tiges keep on winning.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
For sure, versatility when done well is a massive weapon.

Very true, making these decisions, that we all talk about on here would definitely be one of the hardest things to do. To go with that its impossible to please everyone with a decision, there will always be those that don't like one player being put in over another.
In the end however it makes for good discussion on the boards particularly if the Tiges keep on winning.

I’ve already started wearing black for the imminent delisting of Towner.

Do not go gentle into that good night...

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Lloyd going to the dogs.. ..good luck mate...very unlucky( and probably out of favour to be more honest ) not to get a game with us.

Don't know if it's been mentioned (other than rumor?) Afl site article talking about McGovern from crows to blues at the end mentions Tyson's wish to transfer to the crows.....

What's his contract status? And what would be a decent trade from the crows? Second/third rounder maybe? Given I think he came in as a rookie? .....

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Don't know if it's been mentioned (other than rumor?) Afl site article talking about McGovern from crows to blues at the end mentions Tyson's wish to transfer to the crows.....

What's his contract status? And what would be a decent trade from the crows? Second/third rounder maybe? Given I think he came in as a rookie? .....
Crows offering 3 yr deal so 3rd rounder maybe being they are clearly keen?

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Regarding C Ellis Miles Lloyd, I am not surprised they seek greener pastures.
Best wishes.
Little bit disappointed if Conca goes.
I am not interested if Stengle departs TBH.
A choice between Stengle and Butler would retain Butler any day of the week.

Last edited:
Back