List Mgmt. Richmond Player Contract Statuses - Updated 15/9/2023

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
With 22 players OOC. Goal 1 is to retain players, goal 2 install a talent transition plan. Hopefully one maybe two flags out of current coaching/playing group.

Miller 4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
12​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
12​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
15​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
9​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
9​
Restricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
15​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Is this updated Out of contract players? Sans obviously Grimes and Prestia?

Priorities for me:

Vlaustin (future captain)
Noah Balta (could be anyone)
Shai Bolton (already shown such promise)
Liam Baker )love his work off the backline)

Ones I can't see leaving and probably taking a bit less to stay
Shedda
Astbury
Riewoldt (if he doesn't retire)

Rest need a trade and priorities for me
Castagna
Soldo
Riloi

Is this updated Out of contract players? Sans obviously Grimes and Prestia?

Priorities for me:

Vlaustin (future captain)
Noah Balta (could be anyone)
Shai Bolton (already shown such promise)
Liam Baker )love his work off the backline)

Ones I can't see leaving and probably taking a bit less to stay
Shedda
Astbury
Riewoldt (if he doesn't retire)

Rest need a trade and priorities for me
Castagna
Soldo
Riloi

Pretty much, except for Soldo. Would definitely be trying to sign him up for a few more.*

* - subject to medical reports.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
For mine I'd: Retire: Houli, Cotchin ( I'd beg him to put the team first cos we need salary freed up and I reckon his reputation will be destroyed if he goes on next year. Astbury??????? Depends on who can replace him but leaning towards retire. Delist: Chol, Eggmolesse, Cumberland, Miller. Trade: Caddy (need to stop paying $500k to play Magoo's) ,Castagna (happy to accept a boot studder or canteen lady as direct trade), I'd also shop Baker and Dan Rioli and take a decent swap for them. McIntosh I'd keep only if he's bargain basement otherwise he can go so we can get games into Naish and Ralphsmith.

For mine I'd: Retire: Houli, Cotchin ( I'd beg him to put the team first cos we need salary freed up and I reckon his reputation will be destroyed if he goes on next year. Astbury??????? Depends on who can replace him but leaning towards retire. Delist: Chol, Eggmolesse, Cumberland, Miller. Trade: Caddy (need to stop paying $500k to play Magoo's) ,Castagna (happy to accept a boot studder or canteen lady as direct trade), I'd also shop Baker and Dan Rioli and take a decent swap for them. McIntosh I'd keep only if he's bargain basement otherwise he can go so we can get games into Naish and Ralphsmith.
Mostly agree but I think Astbury needs to stay for at least one more given Balta’s injury
I know he should be fine for next year but would nice just to have some insurance with an extra key back

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Trio of Tigers re-sign
Jason Castagna, Kamdyn McIntosh and Thomson Dow have all signed new Richmond contracts.

Photo-19-8-21-1-31-30-pm-1-.jpg
-->

Thomson Dow, Kamdyn McIntosh and Jason Castagna at Punt Road Oval on Thursday.
Richmond has extended the contracts of Jason Castagna, Kamdyn McIntosh and Thomson Dow, with the trio each signing until the end of 2023.
Castagna, a three-time premiership player, will be extending his Richmond stay into an eighth and ninth season after being selected with the 29th pick at the 2014 AFL Rookie Draft.
The 25-year-old has been a mainstay for Richmond through the Club’s recent success, missing just four games since the start of the 2017 season. Castagna has played 117 games for the Tigers, booting 114 goals.
Known for his pace, frenetic forward pressure, and ability to hit the scoreboard, the 25-year-old provides an important skillset to the Richmond brand.
McIntosh, 27, has played 124 games for the Tigers, including the 2017 and 2020 premierships.
The West Australian will become a 10-year Richmond player next year, having been selected with pick No. 31 overall at the 2012 AFL National Draft.
McIntosh had a career-best season in 2020, finishing 5th in the Jack Dyer Medal and was in strong form before a hamstring injury this year. The wingman capable of playing in defence has averaged 16 disposals and four marks per game in 2021.
A popular teammate, McIntosh, was this year voted by his peers as the player that best embodies the Club theme of “connection.”

WLup3LSv.png

Dow signs on
Thomson Dow speaks to Richmond media about signing on for 2 years.
Dow, 19, has shown promising signs across his first two seasons at the Club, after being selected with the Tigers’ first pick, No. 21 overall at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
Dow was able to break into the eventual premiers’ side for two matches in 2020 and has added another four games this season, including one as the medical substitute.
The youngster has averaged 17 disposals and four marks from the three AFL matches he has started in this season, including a breakout 22-possession performance against North Melbourne.
Richmond General- Football Talent Blair Hartley said it was pleasing to lock away the three players.
“Kamdyn and Jason have been outstanding contributors for us across the journey, particularly as regular members in the senior team the past five years,” he added.
“Both add specific skill sets that are important to the way we play and are excellent trainers and characters to have around the group.
“Thomson has worked hard across his first two years at the Club and has shown plenty of upside despite the interruptions he has faced. He is a player that we are really excited about.
“We are thrilled to have Jason, Kamdyn and Thomson sign on and look forward to seeing more of them across the next two years.”

tigers12

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 5, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair dinkum how could you honestly give castagna another 2 years and I reckon kmac should have been used as trade bait obviously no other club was interested in him but castagna is the worst list decision since getting Steven szilller

Nov 5, 2007
Bris....Bane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Fair dinkum how could you honestly give castagna another 2 years and I reckon kmac should have been used as trade bait obviously no other club was interested in him but castagna is the worst list decision since getting Steven szilller

3 time premiership player Jason Castagna deserves every bit of 2 years.

Players have bad seasons or struggle in certain roles. Let it be known, Richmond is a system based side and sometimes playing a system that the coaches want you to play makes people like yourself second guess a players worth.

Look at Rioli, everyone slagging him off, useless, lost speed, can't turn, ankle is shot. Moves position and runs like lightning.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if people actually watch Richmond play.

tigers12

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 5, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
3 time premiership player Jason Castagna deserves every bit of 2 years.

Players have bad seasons or struggle in certain roles. Let it be known, Richmond is a system based side and sometimes playing a system that the coaches want you to play makes people like yourself second guess a players worth.

Look at Rioli, everyone slagging him off, useless, lost speed, can't turn, ankle is shot. Moves position and runs like lightning.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if people actually watch Richmond play.
yeah I do actually watch them play tell me what does castagna offer tell me one good thing he offers is it kicking goals ‘burning teammates off
Shank kicking ?

I have the list as follows:

View attachment 1211494

I haven’t seen Soldo’s one year extension be confirmed only that it’s ‘nearly’ done 🤷‍♂️ I usually only update if it’s from the club or AFL and it’s definite not ‘nearly’, ‘almost’ ect. Does my head in how jumbled it all gets.

They don’t make it clear at all. Wish they’d put when the player is contracted too in the players bios on the website.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I haven’t seen Soldo’s one year extension be confirmed only that it’s ‘nearly’ done 🤷‍♂️ I usually only update if it’s from the club or AFL and it’s definite not ‘nearly’, ‘almost’ ect. Does my head in how jumbled it all gets.

They don’t make it clear at all. Wish they’d put when the player is contracted too in the players bios on the website.
Yes, I assumed he would be extended although it wasn't announced

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
OK so was bored at work today and grad Engineers were all flat out with compulsory training so I had a crack at Excel. Not bad for an old fart. Here's my thoughts on our list management moving forward. Obviously things can change in next few months. But this years critical, some blokes are starved of opportunity and manager's will be shopping them around. The old codgers went around again last year I'd be happy for practically all to retire to give the kids a chance unless stay for a pittance and love. Not Edwards, he's GONESKI! Broad and Dan Rioli will be after big paydays however I think both can be win/wins if they leave as neither are FA's and wouldn't begrudge either to chase $$$$'s especially Broad as will be his last chance. I reckon Rioli's been overpaid his whole career so not fussed either way. Biggie and Nyuon are rewarded for height moreso than output as losing Chol, CCJ and probably Riewoldt within a year depletes KP stock's and big blokes are harder to find than oompa loompers. Must look to FA's and teams like GWS and Gold Coast to plunder, Melb's reserves are also killing it so maybe can poach a gun kid starved of opportunity. CBF'd watching Casey to see who's playing well as overall state of footy at all time low struggle to watch other teams let alone other VFL.

NameYears ServiceStatusWhat my list strategy would be thus far.
Ben Miller5Unrestricted Free Agent1-2 years low money. Needed for depth must be played against bottom teams this year.
Bigoa Nyuon3Unrestricted Free Agent2 years low money but security, no-ones coming to poach.
Daniel Rioli7Non-Free AgentOffer 4 years @ $400k. If leaves take the pick and play Mansell
Jack Riewoldt16Unrestricted Free AgentRetirement. Gibcus or Balta can replace. Draft KPF 1st rounder.
Jack Ross4Non-Free Agent2 years low money.
Jacob Bauer1Non-Free Agent2 year extension low $$$$’s.
Jake Aarts4Non-Free AgentDelist. List clogger. Or VFL contract.
Josh Caddy6Non-Free AgentAlready gone.
Kane Lambert8Restricted Free AgentDevelopment coach.
Liam Baker5Non-Free Agent4 years on $500k (can’t gloss over lean start of year) Has never been tagged and not as great as some think. Still very good, not elite.
Marlion Pickett4Non-Free Agent2 years on reasonable $$$$’s future job at the Institute.
Mate Colina2Non-Free Agent2 years low $$$$’s job security whilst develops or busts.
Matthew Parker2Unrestricted Free AgentDelist. Maybe VFL contract.
Maurice Rioli2Non-Free Agent2 years on contract reflecting his output (slight increase in salary)
Nathan Broad7Non-Free AgentHate to lose him but let him chase final payday and receive pick in 20’s. Would love to stay but not sure can afford.
Noah Cumberland3Non-Free Agent2 years on lowish contract. Must be played against cellar dwellers for taste or will leave.
Riley Collier-Dawkins4Non-Free AgentDelist. Maybe get pick in the 70’s????
Shane Edwards16Unrestricted Free AgentRetire. Role in recruiting.
Sydney Stack4Non-Free Agent2 years. Must be played and backed in or will leave and make Stengle’s recruit of year pale in comparison.
Trent Cotchin15Unrestricted Free AgentRetire. If all parties agree to go on 1 year deal, only if on miniscule $$$’s. Time for other premiership players to get snout in trough.
Will Martyn3Non-Free AgentDelist, unless VFL contract.

To all those responder's who sook it up. It's called an opinion, we all have them, majority are vastly different to yours so try to refrain from tantrums Reg!!!

reg-laugh-jpg.274480

Last edited:
OK so was bored at work today and grad Engineers were all flat out with compulsory training so I had a crack at Excel. Not bad for an old fart. Here's my thoughts on our list management moving forward. Obviously things can change in next few months. But this years critical, some blokes are starved of opportunity and manager's will be shopping them around. The old codgers went around again last year I'd be happy for practically all to retire to give the kids a chance unless stay for a pittance and love. Not Edwards, he's GONESKI! Broad and Dan Rioli will be after big paydays however I think both can be win/wins if they leave as neither are FA's and wouldn't begrudge either to chase $$$$'s especially Broad as will be his last chance. I reckon Rioli's been overpaid his whole career so not fussed either way. Biggie and Nyuon are rewarded for height moreso than output as losing Chol, CCJ and probably Riewoldt within a year depletes KP stock's and big blokes are harder to find than oompa loompers. Must look to FA's and teams like GWS and Gold Coast to plunder, Melb's reserves are also killing it so maybe can poach a gun kid starved of opportunity. CBF'd watching Casey to see who's playing well as overall state of footy at all time low struggle to watch other teams let alone other VFL.

Ben Miller5Unrestricted Free Agent1-2 years low money. Needed for depth must be played against bottom teams this year.
Bigoa Nyuon3Unrestricted Free Agent2 years low money but security, no-ones coming to poach.
Daniel Rioli7Non-Free AgentOffer 4 years @ $400k. If leaves take the pick and play Mansell
Jack Riewoldt16Unrestricted Free AgentRetirement. Gibcus or Balta can replace. Draft KPF 1st rounder.
Liam Baker5Non-Free Agent4 years on $500k (can’t gloss over lean start of year) Has never been tagged and not as great as some think. Still very good, not elite.
Marlion Pickett4Non-Free Agent2 years on reasonable $$$$’s future job at the Institute.
Mate Colina2Non-Free Agent2 years low $$$$’s job security whilst develops or busts.
Maurice Rioli2Non-Free Agent2 years on contract reflecting his output (slight increase in salary)
Nathan Broad7Non-Free AgentHate to lose him but let him chase final payday and receive pick in 20’s. Would love to stay but not sure can afford.
Noah Cumberland3Non-Free Agent2 years on lowish contract. Must be played against cellar dwellers for taste or will leave.
Sydney Stack4Non-Free Agent2 years. Must be played and backed in or will leave and make Stengle’s recruit of year pale in comparison.
Trent Cotchin15Unrestricted Free AgentRetire. If all parties agree to go on 1 year deal, only if on miniscule $$$’s. Time for other premiership players to get snout in trough.

To all those responder's who sook it up. It's called an opinion, we all have them, majority are vastly different to yours so try to refrain from tantrums Reg!!!

reg-laugh-jpg.274480
Pretty good summary I reckon

Miller, Bauer, MRJ, Cumberland and Stack are all guys we must sign for at least 1-2 years as all have big/huge upside imo

Can prob throw Jack Ross in that group as well to be honest, looks great now

Mate Colina another 2 years for obvious reasons

Happy to give Biggie another year

Baker and Pickett speak for themselves. Both gone to new levels this year.. pay the men

Really want to keep Broad and Dan Rioli but wouldn’t begrudge them if they excepted bigger offers from other clubs

Martyn, Aarts, Parker obvious delists

RCD looks like trade bait or delist.. what a shame

Shedda for sure will retire.. what a career🙏🥰

Cotch and Reiwoldt 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I really don’t know, some weeks they look great, other weeks they look old and sore
Glad I ain’t making the decisions on them..

Lambert surely can’t go on with his current hip
Maybe surgery and it comes good 🤷‍♂️

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

reg-laugh-jpg.274480
9 players off the list in one year is a lot. I didn't count Broad as we would get a decent pick to use. The others we get nothing for.
So not sure if it's correct but 8 positions open up. (Caddy spot already taken).
We have 4 picks plus rookies spots you've opened up. I guess we don't need to have a full list.

There is always the decision list managers have to make. Do we try to develop more what we have (as much as the player hasn't shown much, or take a punt on an overlooked kid?

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all

reg-laugh-jpg.274480
Bauer is already contracted for next yr (signed an 18 month contract). We need to phase the older guys out, lose too many at once & we'll end up like Norf. Would love to keep Broad & Rioli, these guys deserve & should get their pay day

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Been a lot of questionable contract decisions of late. Here's a few that have made no sense whatsoever:

1) Josh Caddy was given a 2 year extension in March 2020, the return on investment was 6 games total played for those 2 years. Why would they extend a guy that clearly was out of favour with Hardwick and not in his plans since 2019. If they had've waited til the end of 2020 they could've traded him to a crap team whilst he still had some value. Instead we paid him $1mil for 2 years and get 6 measly games return. Yet we can't afford Cerra for $600,000 p/a when we'd been secretly dealing with him for years in advance.

2) Ivan Soldo was given a 3 year extension September 2021. He hadn't played in the previous year and a half because of his knee (Fair enough as big fellars take a while to recover from knees). He's played 12 games this year averaging 7 posessions, 2 marks and 13 hit-outs a game. The worst thing is the number of times we've kicked to him and he doesn't seem to know how to move with the flight of the ball, some have been down right comical. He's getting outmarked or if it hits the ground forget it the opposition will clear it 9 out of 10. The way he's playing this year is borderline useless. 2 more years to go? Would we even miss him if he left.

3) Castagna extended 2 years in August 2021. Just why?

4) Daniel Rioli extended 1 year August 2021. Why only 1 year when Castagna got 2 as his last 2 months at HBF was great?

5) Chol & CCJ both left uncontracted til end of 2021. Clubs head explodes when realised blokes starved of opportunity would think to look elsewhere.

Big decisions coming up in the next few months contract wise. Get it wrong and we're stuffed?

Back