Training Richmond Pre-season Training 2018

Who do you think will be the most improved player this pre-season?

• Nick Vlastuin

• Brandon Ellis

• Jayden Short

• Daniel Rioli

• Kane Lambert

• Ben Griffiths

• Sam Lloyd

• Shai Bolton

• Reece Conca

• Oleg Markov

• Corey Ellis

• Jack Graham

• Nathan Broad

• Callum Moore

• Connor Menadue

• Nathan Drummond

• Dan Butler

• Mabior Chol

• Ryan Garthwaite

• Tyson Stengle

• Jason Castagna

• Ivan Soldo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The bad stats: Where your club struggled in 2017

KEY STAT RESULT LEAGUE RANK
Kicking efficiency 62.8% #18
Uncontested marks 73.5 #17
Hit-out win rate 35.9% #18
SUMMARY
The Tigers would not have lost any sleep through the season about their 18th ranking for kicking efficiency. Controlling the ball and taking uncontested marks (17th) was not a focus of their new game style and these rankings are almost a badge of honour. The new plan under Hardwick was to move the ball quickly after a turnover and get the ball inside 50 any way possible. That's when the small forwards and pressing midfielders could get to work, either winning the ball or forcing forward-half turnovers and scoring. In a game of territory, the sideways and backward kicks that lead to uncontested marks and lift a team's kicking efficiency were gone. A requirement of the smaller line-up was the absence of a second ruckman for much of the season, with wingman Shaun Grigg nominating as the ruckman at some stoppages. That explains the Tigers' low ranking for hit-out win rate. - Nathan Schmook

So what Nathan is saying is that Richmond are bad at three key stats but who the F cares cause they won the friggin premiership anyhow!!!

Myth BUSTED!!!!

In 2017, we were -348 on Hitouts. Down about 15 per game.

For clearances, we were only -28. Down about 1 per game. Add in the bonus that we could play another midfielder for the whole game instead of another 6'6" lumbering log, I'll take that.

Couple of things about the Castagna presser.
Looks like he is being groomed to become more of a leader.
How’s the neck on the bloke?
I am getting sick of the “have you focused on not doing what the Bulldogs did?” “What are you doing to avoid a hangover like the Bulldogs?

Shut. Up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, We are not the bloody Bulldogs FFS.

Anyone go to this?
Turned up at 1030 but they'd already finished, so did about 75 minutes at most.

Did go to the AFL Community dinner last night, which was very entertaining, with about half the Tigers there. Castagna and Butler started a tale about Liam Baker staying with them, clearly some juicy details, then thought better of finishing it - left the crowd hanging. Anyone know the full story???

Turned up at 1030 but they'd already finished, so did about 75 minutes at most.

Did go to the AFL Community dinner last night, which was very entertaining, with about half the Tigers there. Castagna and Butler started a tale about Liam Baker staying with them, clearly some juicy details, then thought better of finishing it - left the crowd hanging. Anyone know the full story???

Session lasted about an hour ... players didn't hit the track until about 9.20/9.25am.
Involved a group of about 20 from the Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup team, which I am sure was a thrill for them to be training alongside a former Pioneer in Dusty.
Was a reasonably light session ...... skills focused and included a fun game of frisbee, which highlighted just how skilful these guys are in terms of co-ordination, hitting targets etc.
The Tigers had match practice last Saturday and will again this Saturday (well for those not in the AFLX).

Session lasted about an hour ... players didn't hit the track until about 9.20/9.25am.
Involved a group of about 20 from the Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup team, which I am sure was a thrill for them to be training alongside a former Pioneer in Dusty.
Was a reasonably light session ...... skills focused and included a fun game of frisbee, which highlighted just how skilful these guys are in terms of co-ordination, hitting targets etc.
The Tigers had match practice last Saturday and will again this Saturday (well for those not in the AFLX).

I'll add this - given there is another thread on said player - the difference in size and build of the TAC Cup lads to AFL players was glaring when you see them run around together, but as you would expect. Corey Ellis, despite putting on some muscle, wouldn't look menacing in TAC Cup football, what, four years on. Menadue looked to have bulked up considerably (especially from the last time I stood next to him) and Stengle looks to have bulked up quite a bit.
On the plus side, for a guy just out of TAC Cup, Balta looked considerably more developed than the TAC lads. And Chol is an absolute giant!
Not sure if we have name an AFLX side? But expect Castagna to play.
My other observation from community camp, everyone should be privileged to spend some time with Bachar Houli ...... an amazingly humble and pleasant individual (but you all guessed that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayes didn’t look to be a naturally strong mark to me , in his highlights reel, full of handballs and jagged kicks from trouble I didn’t see one clunked Mark, that had me worried for him and no doubt was a pivotal reason behind the slide , CCJ tapes were full of strong marks

We went down the road of drafting mobile forward rucks that couldn't mark with Vickery and McBean. Neither worked out. Give me a forward ruck that can actually contest in the air and clunk them for now. We need it.

Last edited:
Anybody here keep an eye on the Murray Bushrangers
Just found out my uncles step son so step cousin?
Is playing for the Bush Rangers and has signed on to the tigers academy he also has a few younger brothers who a great footballers as well orgainly from up north

philip solomon Is the name of the one who is with the Bushrangers if anybody has any insight about him and how he’s going I would appreciate it

Anybody here keep an eye on the Murray Bushrangers
Just found out my uncles step son so step cousin?
Is playing for the Bush Rangers and has signed on to the tigers academy he also has a few younger brothers who a great footballers as well orgainly from up north

philip solomon Is the name of the one who is with the Bushrangers if anybody has any insight about him and how he’s going I would appreciate it

I posted about Solomon last season. Apparently the club were a bull at the gate getting this kid signed up mid-season. He only recently became eligible due to moving down from QLD so we needed to wait for a particular date to fall over is what I was told. But once that date ticked over we got the paperwork in pronto.

Is a good size at 185cm and is supposed to be very agile with his lateral movement and decent skills. Read this from a match report last year when he played against the U16 Vic Country side.

"#17 Phillip Soloman – The bottom ager showed plenty of promise and will be someone Richmond will be hoping to develop (and get him approve and onto their list of Next Generation Academy players). Had his knee strapped but it didn’t slow him down on the outside. His agility was very good and at one stage got around five country players with ease, weaving through them all. Hands were good at the contest and was solid off his right foot."

There was also a "Diversity all star" type game between the Laguntas and Jim Stynes programs last year where Sol was awarded BOG.

Definitely one to keep an eye on this year.

Back