Universal Love Richmond President Peggy O’Neal Awarded Order of Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond president awarded OAM

Peggy O’Neal is the trailblazing first female AFL club president, who led Richmond back to the glory years. But it’s not just her work at Punt Rd that has seen her honoured with an Order of Australia.

Richmond president Peggy O'Neal has been awarded the Order of Australia.

Peggy O’Neal didn’t kick the winning goal or tag the opposition’s best defender as Richmond roared to its drought-breaking AFL premiership victory in 2017.

But she was a crucial part of the winning team.

The trailblazing first female president in the history of the AFL has held the post at Richmond since 2013, been on the board since 2005 and previously chaired the club’s risk, compliance and integrity committee.

But it’s not just Tigerland where the American-born lawyer has made a positive influence to Australian society.

And her efforts will be duly recognised today, when she is awarded the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to Aussie rules football, superannuation and finance law and the advancement of women in leadership roles.

[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/dba81b90ceeebc6abf54aac9b4aafaca?width=1024[/IMG]

[IMG='width:375px;']https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8faf5e5965134218bbe5a0937ce67123?width=1024[/IMG]
Dustin Martin and Peggy O’Neal with the 2017 premiership cup. Picture. Phil Hillyard

The Richmond life member said the honour was a surprise she had not expected.

“But it’s gratifying to be recognised for work in the community as well as your professional life,’’ she said.

“It’s a kind of recognition I didn’t expect to come my way but I’m glad that it did.’’

Ms O’Neal chaired the State Government Inquiry into Women and Girls in Sport and Active Recreation from 2014-2016 and the Victorian Ministerial Change our Game program from 2016-2018.

She has been a member of the AFL Competition Committee since 2018, a member of the Victorian Ministerial Council on Women’s Equality since 2017 and on the board of Women’s Housing since 2013.

Among a raft of other achievements, she is an emeritus member of the Law Council of Australia’s Superannuation Committee, and has been a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors since 2008.

Women’s Weekly in 2014 ranked her in the “50 most powerful women in Australia’’.

She has chaired the Australian Public Service Reconsideration Committee since 2016 and been on the Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation board since 2011.

56B9462B-274F-4319-B096-EE6551B5FA60.gif

Thoroughly deserved award.
Her contribution to all forms of business and dealing with every walk of life are unquestionable.
Best of all she goes about everything without any fanfare.
Take note Eddie.

Apparently John Setka has criticised domestic violence activist Rosie Batty.
I gather John is a Richmond supporter.
It would be interesting to see whether or not O'Neal takes action in terms of membership.
It is a high profile issue.
It was the leading story on ABC News.
Albanese condemned Setka's comments if they are proved correct.
Richmond has been promoting feminist causes so it would be interesting to see.

Really... is that true?!? Good on her...even more impressive cv!

Yeah. A long time female mate who is fairly high up in inner tiger sanctum told me that.

Apparently Peggy had a boyfirend who was into footy which is where her love affair started with the Tiges.

Got rid of her boyfriend but stuck with footy.

God bless her

Yeah. A long time female mate who is fairly high up in inner tiger sanctum told me that.

Apparently Peggy had a boyfirend who was into footy which is where her love affair started with the Tiges.

Got rid of her boyfriend but stuck with footy.

God bless her

Indeed, but a few inaccuracies there.

She was introduced to football by a legal colleague and mad Tiger. I see said person regularly, and is a good friend, and I thank her every time.

Haere Ra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently John Setka has criticised domestic violence activist Rosie Batty.
I gather John is a Richmond supporter.
It would be interesting to see whether or not O'Neal takes action in terms of membership.
It is a high profile issue.
It was the leading story on ABC News.
Albanese condemned Setka's comments if they are proved correct.
Richmond has been promoting feminist causes so it would be interesting to see.

Is that ******* scumbag a tiger supporter?

From where I sit Peggy O'Neal's positive influence on the RFC cannot be overstated. She also stands as a beacon for how to encourage women without attacking men. Just seems a fantastic person with no hidden agendas and as has been mentioned, no fanfare. The other thing I notice when she is being interviewed, she never uses it as an opportunity to promote herself, just talks to the point and talks sense. She has opened my eyes to what a female leader can bring to an organisation, and after some bad experiences in the past that took some doing. I love this woman being at Richmond. Congratulations on being awarded the Order of Australia Peggy. Oh and will you marry me? Well, I suppose Peggy Rise wouldn't quite sound right...:'( Meteoric O'Neal has a certain ring to it though. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back