richmond quick fix e.g carlton of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Don Logan
Carlton's depth is abominable.

Remember since last season you have lost your last two B&F winners which will impact more than you think.

Our gap between our best and worst players is not as bad as Richmond's, for every Ottens or Coughlan, they seem to have twice as many Billy Nicholls, or Houlihans etc.

Yes Mckay's loss will hurt, but not Mckernan, he did practically nothing all year and frankly Carlton got a great deal for him.

Originally posted by Don Logan
You don't know that as a fact but it IS a fact you don't have your premier (in your Match Commitee's eyes) players saddling up in 2004.

If you listen to all these carlton supporters it's actually quite funny they think they'll improve dramatically with the players they've picked up. They have no ruck division to speak of and no backline and if Barney Rubble in the ruck goes down injured who's going to take over?

Originally posted by bogan_blue
Our gap between our best and worst players is not as bad as Richmond's, for every Ottens or Coughlan, they seem to have twice as many Billy Nicholls, or Houlihans etc.

Yes Mckay's loss will hurt, but not Mckernan, he did practically nothing all year and frankly Carlton got a great deal for him.

You dont have a gap between your best and your worst because you dont have a best to compare your worst with in the first place!!! Pretty hard to compare duds with duds!!!

Actually, ATM both teams have the same number of Houlihans.

Everybody knew Carlton had an ordinary list and accordingly they finished second last. My question is what is Richmond’s excuse for only winning a couple of more games then us. The Blues have overhauled their list, what have the toothless Tigers done?

Originally posted by Blue Fury
The Blues have overhauled their list, what have the toothless Tigers done?

So far in the trade and draft we have added 10 new players to the list and will add at least another one in the PSD. That is a fairly substantial change to the list in any one season.

One or two Blues fans seem to be basing their assessment of Richmond's entire drafting strategy on the fact that we drafted Fletcher with pick 79. IMO Fletcher was a questionable choice at best, but the majority of our picks we used on kids.

Originally posted by Crumden
So far in the trade and draft we have added 10 new players to the list and will add at least another one in the PSD. That is a fairly substantial change to the list in any one season.

One or two Blues fans seem to be basing their assessment of Richmond's entire drafting strategy on the fact that we drafted Fletcher with pick 79. IMO Fletcher was a questionable choice at best, but the majority of our picks we used on kids.

Yes but once again you gave up a first draft pick (which basically are the most valuable draft commodotie) for a player who can be very hot or cold (Brown)

I am confident Carlton has a list that talent wise, is stronger than Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong etc ?

We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm confident we've got a better list than Carlton and will finish higher.

Having said that I'd be more confident if we had Pagan at the helm instead of Spud.

Tiger supporters are you going to buy memberships this year and get back on the BANDWAGON or go missing like last year ????
We finished 16th last year but at least we had 34000 members.

How many finals have you been in the last 20 years ??? hahahahaha

Yes but once again you gave up a first draft pick (which basically are the most valuable draft commodotie) for a player who can be very hot or cold (Brown)

I am confident Carlton has a list that talent wise, is stronger than Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong etc ?

With Richmond's past history of top 10 draft picks (off the top of my head I can think of Pat Steinfort, Justin Murphy, Anthony Banik, Kane Pettifer and Aaron Fiora), I am more than happy with Richmond giving away pick 6 to pick up Brown.

Anyway, in the words of Matt Burgen (I think), Alex Gilmore at pick 21 is a "cracker" of a pick.

Originally posted by Penetrator
Tiger supporters are you going to buy memberships this year and get back on the BANDWAGON or go missing like last year ????
We finished 16th last year but at least we had 34000 members.

How many finals have you been in the last 20 years ??? hahahahaha

How many finals have you been in without cheating and rorting the salary cap??? NONE!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that list of players looks better than the entire Tige list!!
Have my money on Carlton over Richmond when they meet next year. :D :D

Originally posted by itsintheblood
I'll take as much as you like loser.

Name your bet.

Don't be so confident. Even in the worst two years of our entire histroy, we still managed to beat you. Richmond are the only team that can't claim that they've beaten Carlton at their lowest point. Even if you're still better than us.

Originally posted by Thrawn
Don't be so confident. Even in the worst two years of our entire histroy, we still managed to beat you. Richmond are the only team that can't claim that they've beaten Carlton at their lowest point. Even if you're still better than us.

The upside of Carlton's list is stronger than Richmond's IMO.
When Campbell, Richo and Gasbag retire in around 3 years time, what is left ?
Ottens, Coughlan, that's about it.

bogan_blue, as you have just admitted that you think Campbell, Gaspar and Richo are irreplaceable players, I certainly hope this isn't a sign you are leaning towards Richmond as your next club.

Originally posted by tro-boy
With Richmond's past history of top 10 draft picks (off the top of my head I can think of Pat Steinfort, Justin Murphy, Anthony Banik, Kane Pettifer and Aaron Fiora), I am more than happy with Richmond giving away pick 6 to pick up Brown.

How convenient that you overlook Darren Gaspar, Brad Ottens, and Kane Johnson in your summary of Richmond's use of Top 10 draft picks ....

Gaspar was picked up as an uncontracted player in the PSD while Richmond traded for Johnson

Originally posted by blaise
the gap between the blues best and worst is not as big as the tigers because all the blues players are equally crap.

I'm sure Anthony Koutoufides is just as bad as Anthony Franchina.

Can we use this guy to torture enemy soldiers in case we have a future war? I mean, the stupidity in this guy would justify insanity if locked in a room together.

I would think that most clubs would have given away a first rd draft pick for Nathan Brown, so to say we just gave away another first rd pick is nonsence. The securing of Brown was a major coup, one that Collingwood and Carlton both tried and failed to acheive.

As for quality of list, the photo in the paper yesterday showed up how much quality the blues have added - Nick Stevens, Andrew Walker and possibly Heath Scotland. The rest we will call Poly Filler - just covering the cracks

The securing of Brown was a major coup, one that Collingwood and Carlton both tried and failed to acheive.

Don't know who your sources are mate, but Brown actually approached Carlton and we didn't see him as a priority, or did we ever make an attempt to make him a navy blue.

My source.....a bloke called Nathan Brown, plays footy a bit, you may have heard of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back