Richmond Ruck Situation 2021

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
Why try to get some 'back up' ruck? We've got 2 already, backing Nank up.

Another won't help much.

You don't get guys that can compete with NicNat in the bargain basement bin for a one year contract.

Soldo out hurts a lot. But Nank can do a job. Chol of OK chop out. CCJ has the ability, and now has the strength, to be a good AFL ruck. That's as good as most if not all clubs.
My only concern is the first part of next year - what round is CCJ due back - round 6? What if Nank goes down pre-season or early rounds and we have to expose Chol as out first ruck for 6 rounds and then potentially CCJ. I just think we need coverage with a cheap seasoned ruck (prob a rookie) that can be there just in case.

My only concern is the first part of next year - what round is CCJ due back - round 6? What if Nank goes down pre-season or early rounds and we have to expose Chol as out first ruck for 6 rounds and then potentially CCJ. I just think we need coverage with a cheap seasoned ruck (prob a rookie) that can be there just in case.

A list spot is worth quite a lot. If we get some 2nd rate guy in to keep CJ out I'd be annoyed, so would he. If CJ is as good as they think he should make that spot his own.

If we have someone just sitting around waiting for injuries that's OK, but fairly worthless I would think. We do have Chol and Balta as back ups as well.

Compared to most clubs our ruck depth is amazing.

Put it this way, a guy on this board who later became a professional draft guy at Carlton (I think), explained how to value rucks on your list. You need someone who can stop the opposition ruck dominating, not necessarily win the ruck, but nullify to oppo ruck. If you get Max Gawn great! But that's not what you must have. You need a backup ruck who can play significant minutes in the AFL and not get smashed. Then you need 1 or 2 developing rucks. Everyone after that is a total waste, because you can only play 4 rucks at most - 2 in the firsts, 2 in the 2nds. Part timers are fine if they do something else well. But once you have your ruck list OK, then stop!!! The extra guy is a total waste. That's not the case for any other position, especially mids.

We have Nank and CJ + Chol and Balta + Soldo + Mate coming in 2022. That's good list management. 3 genuine rucks, couple of part timers (not counting Lynch, JR and Astbury who also chop out in the ruck) + a development guy. Soldo is out but will come back, and he's AFL quality. So anything we get is short term coverage that we likely won't ever want to play. Why do it.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
View attachment 961783

If Chol can leap like this more often than not when in the ruck we'll be in good shape as there aren't many rucks that can leap like this.
That athletic leap doesn't translate to hit outs. Or hasn't so far. We have to get more advantage from it or its a waste of effort. He either needs Ivan Maric or mindfulness Emma.
He has a golden opportunity to be playing in a good team deep into finals.

I thought CCJ was more ruck that can pinch hit up forward? Chol the other way around

CJ played more forward than ruck at VFL level - mostly behind Soldo, until last season. Plenty to like. I'd rate him a better pack mark than Chol.

I just want to see both of them play a series of AFL games when they jump into the opponent at the centre bounce 100% of the time. Both guilty of standing and watching the ball up at times, Griggs-style. Serious ruck crime, in my books.

the underdog

Debutant
May 30, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm now a bit concerned about this. I don't think you can rely on Nank to play every game; his body just can't handle it, especially being the number 1 guy. I know he carried the load in '17 but a lot has changed since then- his body is a lot more damaged than it once was.

I'm not sure where to given the lack of quality rucks out there, but i think our hands are tied now re CCJ. He must be retained, even though he's suspended for nearly half of 2021.

I like the combo of Nank/ Chol, I just have concerns if one of them goes down. The clearance differential could get even worse...

Forgot about him but he's not avail until 2022 and will prob take another year after that to get up to speed. I'm not expecting him to be the premier ruckman of the comp until at least 2024

Might have been about 3 years development for Soldo. His improvement is bloody amazing. I'm guessing Colina also has a solid relationship with our Ruck Coaching genius

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
I'm now a bit concerned about this. I don't think you can rely on Nank to play every game; his body just can't handle it, especially being the number 1 guy. I know he carried the load in '17 but a lot has changed since then- his body is a lot more damaged than it once was.

I'm not sure where to given the lack of quality rucks out there, but i think our hands are tied now re CCJ. He must be retained, even though he's suspended for nearly half of 2021.

I like the combo of Nank/ Chol, I just have concerns if one of them goes down. The clearance differential could get even worse...
If we make the GF it'll only be like 5 H&A games next year I believe. Nank/Chol can surely carry the load that far, then it'll probably be the old revolving door ruck pairing depending on form/fitness/opposition. It's not panic stations yet.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
We have Nank and CJ + Chol and Balta + Soldo + Mate coming in 2022. That's good list management. 3 genuine rucks, couple of part timers (not counting Lynch, JR and Astbury who also chop out in the ruck) + a development guy. Soldo is out but will come back, and he's AFL quality. So anything we get is short term coverage that we likely won't ever want to play. Why do it.

Nank has played 18 out of last 41 games due to injury. That’s a serious concern

Soldo obviously isn’t playing in 2021

Chol is not a full time Ruck, he pinch hits.

CCJ could be a very good full time Ruck but is still only 21/22 next year, that’s a baby in Ruck terms.

Mate is 3-4 years off playing and shouldn’t be mentioned

Balta/Jack/Lynch are Ferrari’s, you don’t use then to Bush bash unless you’re desperate.

I expect us to be right in our window still next year, but if Nank goes down with anything significant you’re hoping a 22 yr old Ruck or part timer can get us over the line.

A one year ruckman as backup to take minutes and hits if we need is vital. Hopefully we can find a guy like McInerny at a Brisbane but with no state leagues that’s not easy. Otherwise a cheap one year deal to guy like Kreuzer might be what we need. Of course this all depends on list spots too.

If we are lucky enough to hit on a mature state league Ruck, they usually retain some decent value in terms of trade too.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Some candidates as a rookie.

KYLE GALLOWAY
41.-Kyle-Galloway-Sponsored.png

The Lions were in much need of ruck depth and it was the one time former Sydney Swan in Kyle Galloway - who joins after putting together a dominant season with the Northern Football Leagues Northcote Park. Originally from Deniliquin in country New South Wales, Galloway had a previous VFL stint with Werribee however had a disrupted season due to injury and is expected to fight for the number one ruck spot with Adam Swierzbiolek.

Number:41
Recruited From: Northcote Park
Local Interchange Club: Northcote Park
Date of Birth: 21/11/1996
Height: 208cm
Weight: 115kg
2019 Games: 2
2019 Goals:
Total Games:
Total Goals: 0
Sponsored by:

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

KYLE GALLOWAY

The Lions were in much need of ruck depth and it was the one time former Sydney Swan in Kyle Galloway - who joins after putting together a dominant season with the Northern Football Leagues Northcote Park. Originally from Deniliquin in country New South Wales, Galloway had a previous VFL stint with Werribee however had a disrupted season due to injury and is expected to fight for the number one ruck spot with Adam Swierzbiolek.

2019 Goals:
Total Games:
Sponsored by:
Big bastard!!

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond

KYLE GALLOWAY

2019 Goals: 0
Total Games: 2
Sponsored by:
He's massive - 208cm / 115kegs!

Bolly

Senior List
Mar 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Liverpool, Raptors
What's the mail on Bigoa Nyuon? Is there any chance he could pinch or learn the craft? From what I understand he's got quite the leap on him.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Otherwise a cheap one year deal to guy like Kreuzer might be what we need
I reckon we'd have good chances talking Kreuzer into playing another year. He has a chance at playing finals or even winning a flag and he's good mates with Cotch. The only knock is his body is shot and can he hold down a number 1 ruck spot for the year without getting injured?

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I reckon we'd have good chances talking Kreuzer into playing another year. He has a chance at playing finals or even winning a flag and he's good mates with Cotch. The only knock is his body is shot and can he hold down a number 1 ruck spot for the year without getting injured?

You’re not getting a Kreuzer to be our no. 1, that’s Nank and CCJs position in the team. What we are getting is insurance, so if Nank misses 5-6 rounds you’ve got a plug and play Ruck to get you through the rough times if CCJ is unable to fill the void (im a big fan after watching him in VFL last year).

With Kreuzer specifically i think our medical staff is far superior to Carltons, we seem to manage players really well.

The other key is you wouldn’t over do it with him unless necessary. Play him every second/third week in the VFL, especially through the middle part of the year, rest him at the first sign of injury and let him recover properly (where you can, if he needs to eat minutes at AFL level well so be it). Carlton ran him into the ground because they needed him, we would hopefully only need him sparingly.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
You’re not getting a Kreuzer to be our no. 1, that’s Nank and CCJs position in the team. What we are getting is insurance, so if Nank misses 5-6 rounds you’ve got a plug and play Ruck to get you through the rough times if CCJ is unable to fill the void (im a big fan after watching him in VFL last year).

With Kreuzer specifically i think our medical staff is far superior to Carltons, we seem to manage players really well.

The other key is you wouldn’t over do it with him unless necessary. Play him every second/third week in the VFL, especially through the middle part of the year, rest him at the first sign of injury and let him recover properly (where you can, if he needs to eat minutes at AFL level well so be it). Carlton ran him into the ground because they needed him, we would hopefully only need him sparingly.
I cant see i happening unless it was for big $ - also I reckon Kruezer would see it as disrepectful to the Blues - unless he feels he was pushed out too early (like Hodge)

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
FFS some cockamamie ideas here. With Rancey coming back it's obvious. Rance to FB and Balta into 2nd Ruck. There's more chance of this happening than us recruiting banged up plodders like Mumford or Kreuzer or Zac Clarke ! That's the sort of crap Essendon or Melbourne or North would pull.

We played GRIGG for chrissakes as a 2nd ruck and won a flag. If it's just to give the ruckman a rest then why waste a precious spot on the list when there's a good, albeit dumb kid in the wings chomping on a souvlaki. Five weeks into the season his supension will be over.

Kreuzer ! Gimme a break. Since when does this club give a toss for sentimental garbage like he's Cotch's best mate and he deserves a final. Waa waa waa. Were not a bloody charity.
But Grigg was completely s**t.

We won inspite of Grigg. He was completely s**t.

Nank is not a young kid any more he has been through the wars. Tempting fate to it again imo

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I cant see i happening unless it was for big $ - also I reckon Kruezer would see it as disrepectful to the Blues - unless he feels he was pushed out too early (like Hodge)

not something I’m expecting either TBH, Kreuzer is just a prime example of the type.

Any Ruck we get is going to be playing on Rookie wages for a shot at finals and a premiership.

Nank has played 18 out of last 41 games due to injury. That’s a serious concern

Soldo obviously isn’t playing in 2021

Chol is not a full time Ruck, he pinch hits.

CCJ could be a very good full time Ruck but is still only 21/22 next year, that’s a baby in Ruck terms.

Mate is 3-4 years off playing and shouldn’t be mentioned

Balta/Jack/Lynch are Ferrari’s, you don’t use then to Bush bash unless you’re desperate.

I expect us to be right in our window still next year, but if Nank goes down with anything significant you’re hoping a 22 yr old Ruck or part timer can get us over the line.

A one year ruckman as backup to take minutes and hits if we need is vital. Hopefully we can find a guy like McInerny at a Brisbane but with no state leagues that’s not easy. Otherwise a cheap one year deal to guy like Kreuzer might be what we need. Of course this all depends on list spots too.

If we are lucky enough to hit on a mature state league Ruck, they usually retain some decent value in terms of trade too.

I don't disagree. But it's also the case that most of these state league rucks just aren't worth it. If Nank's ability to stay on the park is a real worry then maybe do go for someone. I'd be happier with a year of Kruezer than a state league guy. But I probably would just let it play out as is - keep CCJ.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't disagree. But it's also the case that most of these state league rucks just aren't worth it. If Nank's ability to stay on the park is a real worry then maybe do go for someone. I'd be happier with a year of Kruezer than a state league guy. But I probably would just let it play out as is - keep CCJ.
Keeping CCJ is a given I reckon - they'd be insane to trade him out now but I think we'd need backup even with him on the list - too risky otherwise. I'm not sure the gap between a good state league ruck and an average AFL ruck is that great anyway. The bigger difference is between an average AFL ruck and NicNat, Grundy and Gawn

Back