Richmond Ruck Situation 2021

Keeping CCJ is a given I reckon - they'd be insane to trade him out now but I think we'd need backup even with him on the list - too risky otherwise. I'm not sure the gap between a good state league ruck and an average AFL ruck is that great anyway. The bigger difference is between an average AFL ruck and NicNat, Grundy and Gawn

CCJ is a must keep I would think. He has 2021 to make his place on the RFC list secure. If he trains the house down and does his best we'll have a keeper I reckon. Let's see.

re the difference between an average AFL ruck and a good state league ruck. IMHO I reckon that it varies a lot. But most good state league rucks disappear in the AFL system. Someone who can carry and AFL ruck role is way above the state leagues. So many really good state league players just cannot step up. Dave Astbury is better than most state league rucks I'd say, and he isn't an AFL ruck.

There are a lot of regular AFL rucks that people say are very poor. But if you change your mindset from expecting a Gawn lite to someone who nullifies the impact of a Gawn then you see these 'poor' AFL rucks in a different light. A ruck can do a great job by simply making taps neutral, causing contests to be more contested in their team's favour and filling the hole defensively, and get virtually no possessions or hit outs. They cost peanuts and take the disadvantage of being poor in the ruck away. Neutralising good rucks is hard work, and requires a hard working big lug whole knows how to throw their body around and how to be in the right spot. Many good state league guys simply win taps and take marks. They don't transition to the AFL because they don't stop their opponent and can't match the size, power, athleticism and skill of genuine AFL rucks.

So Soldo is a 'great' ruck for me because although he is a good tap ruck, he does a great job in nullifying the opposition. He does a heap in contests using his sheer size and strength to physically force the contest to our advantage(no possessions), and so often he fills the hole and teams kick around him. A lot of what he does really well gets no stats, but is so important. Very few non-AFL players can do this. That's why I'm not convinced in looking for someone to fill a list gap. They are likely to just be a waste.

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Some candidates as a rookie.

KYLE GALLOWAY
41.-Kyle-Galloway-Sponsored.png

The Lions were in much need of ruck depth and it was the one time former Sydney Swan in Kyle Galloway - who joins after putting together a dominant season with the Northern Football Leagues Northcote Park. Originally from Deniliquin in country New South Wales, Galloway had a previous VFL stint with Werribee however had a disrupted season due to injury and is expected to fight for the number one ruck spot with Adam Swierzbiolek.

Number:41
Recruited From: Northcote Park
Local Interchange Club: Northcote Park
Date of Birth: 21/11/1996
Height: 208cm
Weight: 115kg
2019 Games: 2
2019 Goals: 0
Total Games: 2
Total Goals: 0
Sponsored by:

He looks like a chain smoking 45 year old problem gambler.

riewoldt4aa2011

Senior List
Aug 16, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
CJ played more forward than ruck at VFL level - mostly behind Soldo, until last season. Plenty to like. I'd rate him a better pack mark than Chol.

I just want to see both of them play a series of AFL games when they jump into the opponent at the centre bounce 100% of the time. Both guilty of standing and watching the ball up at times, Griggs-style. Serious ruck crime, in my books.
Can't say I've watched all of Coleman Jones vfl games/remember all of his ruck work in his one afl game,but I've never thought he had an issue with jumping at the centre bounces,chol on the other hand would be a real weapon if he jumped 100% of the time.

For me we need a backup.Nank got his issues injuries, Chol yet to be seen if his reliable for 4 qtrs and CCJ is out for first 7 games and Mate will be learning to risky to go without another one .Decent backup from wafl,sanfl,or vfl or off a clubs list.
Out for 5 games not 7

Really makes no difference even 1 or 5 games we a short.
It's time to find out if CCJ can make it. Stop gap VFL RUCKS are not the answer. Ordinary AFL rucks will ask for a 2 year deal and we will not do that. I think we'll risk that Nank and CCJ can get the job done with Chol as backup with possibly Biggy as a last resort ruckman.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
I reckon we'd have good chances talking Kreuzer into playing another year. He has a chance at playing finals or even winning a flag and he's good mates with Cotch. The only knock is his body is shot and can he hold down a number 1 ruck spot for the year without getting injured?
Yep, the only knock on him is that he's COOKED. So is Bellchambers, Clarke and Mumford. Give it a rest. Stop, take a deep breath and tell me if you can SERIOUSLY see these ageing old dinosaurs plodding around in a tigers jumper. We'd have to sew two jumpers together for some of them. Mumford would be number 4,343 !

If you want a backup (which I doubt we even need) you go to the best young 22-25yo in the state leagues (bleh) or a kid with ability not getting a game on a list already...

And hey presto, the best kid not getting a game ON an AFL list is on OUR bloody list !

Geesus. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

Mr Unbelievable

Premium Platinum
Nov 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think we have 3 options. Not sure what the right option is but think we will go with option 1 or 3.

Option 1
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Don’t bring anyone else in and hope that Nank doesn’t get injured leaving Chol to be the man until CJs suspension is over.

Option 2
- Keep Nank
- Keep CJ
- Bring in someone cheap as backup for if Nank got injured early in the year. This probably seems a bit too safe.

Option 3
- Keep Nank
- Trade CJ (If the deal is good)
- Bring in someone in as back up for 1 year knowing Soldo will be back in 2022 and Mate will have a year of development under his belt.
Option 1
- Lets see what CCJ can do - it will be his chance next year

2 guys I mentioned in the trade thread were Jackson Trengove and Justin Westoff. Both are likely to be delisted because they’ve been surpassed by younger rucks. Their not super duper rucks but I imagine other teams desperate for a ruck won’t consider them. I’m sure if either get delisted they wouldn’t mind being a rookie for a year. 🤷‍♂️

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
If we can avoid a finals match up with west coast or to a lesser extent Collingwood (Grundy), soldo going down shouldn’t hurt us. But yeah Natanui Would be the worry for mine, soldo was able to nullify him in our game and wear him down. Neither Nank or Chol have the height or physicality to go with Natanui. None of the other teams have a ruckman you need to neutralise

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve got an out there solution. Max Gawn is never gonna taste success as a player at Melbourne. He’ll be 29 next year And he still has 1 year to run and is a club captain. He’s also a former feral Tigers fan who must be envious as f:$k watching our success. Trade out Nank as he is very limited as an actual ruckman. Bring in Gawn and give our aging midfield silver service for the next 3-4 years. If Nank goes down next year (which going on last couple of years is odds on to happen) we’re screwed and will either get destroyed in the ruck burning out chol, balta and possibly even our Rolls Royce Lynch? Gawn is a proven workhorse who will give everything he’s got. The offer of premiership success and fulfilling a childhood dream should mean it won’t be all about the money. We can’t keep putting our backline under the constant pressure of intercepting and rebounding. How good would it be to see Dusty and co burst from hit out at speed launching into attack winning clearances for a change. We would have to let blokes like broad, Nank and Riewoldt go but we could free cap space and get the missing piece of the puzzle! Should all but guarantee the flag next year. The time for big moves is now while the windows ajar!

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I used to be a fan of the idea of an Orren Stephenson or such on a 1 year rookie contract for peanuts.
Someone who is not a world beater, but with the body size and experience to play 1st ruck if needed and not get absolutely smashed by the opposition.
However, that was back when a rookie spot would cost you Adam Marric or Sam Lonergan or Matt Thomas, etc....

Thinking has changed a bit now when you think that rookie spot could cost us the next Jayden Short, Liam Baker, Marlion Pickett, Tyson Stengle (could be handy at the moment), etc.

Question has to be asked. If worst comes to worst, given that we normally lose clearances anyway...., how would we look with Miller or Garthwaite as first ruck?
That's assuming none of Soldo (obviously), Nank, Coleman-Jones, Chol are available.
From the scratch match report it looks like the club is trying to find an answer to that question regarding Miller.

I used to be a fan of the idea of an Orren Stephenson or such on a 1 year rookie contract for peanuts.
Someone who is not a world beater, but with the body size and experience to play 1st ruck if needed and not get absolutely smashed by the opposition.
However, that was back when a rookie spot would cost you Adam Marric or Sam Lonergan or Matt Thomas, etc....

Thinking has changed a bit now when you think that rookie spot could cost us the next Jayden Short, Liam Baker, Marlion Pickett, Tyson Stengle (could be handy at the moment), etc.

Question has to be asked. If worst comes to worst, given that we normally lose clearances anyway...., how would we look with Miller or Garthwaite as first ruck?
That's assuming none of Soldo (obviously), Nank, Coleman-Jones, Chol are available.
From the scratch match report it looks like the club is trying to find an answer to that question regarding Miller.

I agree. We've got plenty of big man ruck cover. Just that we are uncomfortable with Nank staying fit. If CJ is what VFL watchers reckon he is we're fine. But if we had to jerry rig another ruck option we could. it wouldn't be great, but it might work. Reckon that's where we will go.

I’ve got an out there solution. Max Gawn is never gonna taste success as a player at Melbourne. He’ll be 29 next year And he still has 1 year to run and is a club captain. He’s also a former feral Tigers fan who must be envious as f:$k watching our success. Trade out Nank as he is very limited as an actual ruckman. Bring in Gawn and give our aging midfield silver service for the next 3-4 years. If Nank goes down next year (which going on last couple of years is odds on to happen) we’re screwed and will either get destroyed in the ruck burning out chol, balta and possibly even our Rolls Royce Lynch? Gawn is a proven workhorse who will give everything he’s got. The offer of premiership success and fulfilling a childhood dream should mean it won’t be all about the money. We can’t keep putting our backline under the constant pressure of intercepting and rebounding. How good would it be to see Dusty and co burst from hit out at speed launching into attack winning clearances for a change. We would have to let blokes like broad, Nank and Riewoldt go but we could free cap space and get the missing piece of the puzzle! Should all but guarantee the flag next year. The time for big moves is now while the windows ajar!

Great idea. But the cost!!!!

Gawn would be great. But I reckon he'd cost a fortune. And I suspect he wouldn't add that much to our success. If he came as an unrestricted FA for cheap then great. But we'd have to trade and it's just not worth it for 2021.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not entertaining this idea but can you imagine the cliff we would be facing in 2-3 years if we had to trade in Gawn! We already have an ageing list with most of our best players with 2-3 years at best left in them. I can guarantee you the club would be very conscious of this - with Reiwoldt, Houli, cotch, dusty, edwards, astbury, grimes etc - either out soon or on the slide - there is going to be a massive void to fill as it is without going after a big fish on the wrong side of 30. We should be ensuring we keep our draft picks and developing our own - which has been the key to the RFC success over the past 3-5 years - this way we can rebuild on the run rather than bottoming out. If we go for another ruckman for insurance next year it should be on the cheap - given that our current ruck stocks are all still quite young and we will have a glut of them in 2022

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
If we can avoid a finals match up with west coast or to a lesser extent Collingwood (Grundy), soldo going down shouldn’t hurt us. But yeah Natanui Would be the worry for mine, soldo was able to nullify him in our game and wear him down. Neither Nank or Chol have the height or physicality to go with Natanui. None of the other teams have a ruckman you need to neutralise

I'd argue Port have two - and the midfield to take advantage of that.

Lycett is top-shelf when his body is right (I haven't seen him play in recent weeks to guage how he is moving) and Ladhams has come on in leaps and bounds this year.

Outside WCE, they're the side which concerns me the most ruck-wise.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
I'd argue Port have two - and the midfield to take advantage of that.

Lycett is top-shelf when his body is right (I haven't seen him play in recent weeks to guage how he is moving) and Ladhams has come on in leaps and bounds this year.

Outside WCE, they're the side which concerns me the most ruck-wise.

Nank would do fine against the Port pair for me didn't play last time correct Ladhams not great around the ground .If Chol could work harder and smarter in the ruck will be better did people see his leap in scratch match we need that intensity.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Back