Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

the lad doesnt get injuries

touch wood *

but to what extent, is the question
That is very hard to tell. I don't think there would be a scenario where you can say we would have player x if we didn't do the Martin deal. It's just too hard to see from the outside looking in. Only those running list management would be able to look back and say "I wish we could have offered 700k instead of 500k to the player we wanted".

The positives are huge though.

Martin accepted ~20% less because he liked the club and its perks (playing finals, big crowds etc.). If this is common amongst the playing group you could see others willing to accept a slight squeeze to stay at the club.

North melbourne are overall as a club going nowhere and lack direction, but the best thing they did this year was forcing the tigers to overpay Martin and really hold the Tigers accountable and at least prevent then from getting any better.

As a club theyre not good enough to be true contenders but if they had added another key piece, maybe they would be.

Now with the Martin saga, their hands are tied. Well done north.
Crap. Our hands aren't tied. He accepted 1.2 and not 1.5. We opened our bid at 800K knowing he won't accept that. 1.2 with the increase in cap space and with creative front or back loading will not tie up our hands whatsoever. The flip side is we keep a once in a generation player at our club.
Or we can lose him and we could go out and recruit Kristian Jaksch, Liam Sumner and Andrew Gallucci and pay them 1.2 and feel better about it.....

Salary cap has increased, Tigers will be fine at 1.3 average. They'll work the loading out appropriately.

A lot of players had the cap increase rate included in their contract so clubs didnt suddently get 10% more to spend.

We will know in the next 2 years whether the Tigs sold the farm when their kids are due big salary increases.

Hawthorn are very glad Buddy helped Mitchell come our way.

A lot of players had the cap increase rate included in their contract so clubs didnt suddently get 10% more to spend.

We will know in the next 2 years whether the Tigs sold the farm when their kids are due big salary increases.

Hawthorn are very glad Buddy helped Mitchell come our way.
Yet you are most likely paying both Mitchell and O'Meara combined over 1.2....

It is going to be hard to tell how this will affect their future chances.

It probably diminishes their chances of luring a quality 2nd tall to complement Riewoldt in the coming years.

I am sure Richmond would have been better off if they got Martin for under a million. However, keeping him at a high price is better than losing him as he is the key to making the midfield/forward line work right now.
Not really convinced of that. If he's worth a mil, and I think he is, then you'd really be taking advantage if loyalty motivated him to sign for less.

Yet you are most likely paying both Mitchell and O'Meara combined over 1.2....

Also Vickery was on about 500.

S Mitchell gone J Lewis gone, Burgers Gibbo Hodge took pay cuts. And now Hodge Gibbo gone.

So a lot of money was cleared up.

Our issue is we had a lot of kids playing games who will expect big increases. So it will be interesting to see if we go for a big fish. I suspect we will go for a few mid levels.

Also Vickery was on about 500.

S Mitchell gone J Lewis gone, Burgers Gibbo Hodge took pay cuts. And now Hodge Gibbo gone.

So a lot of money was cleared up.

Our issue is we had a lot of kids playing games who will expect big increases. So it will be interesting to see if we go for a big fish. I suspect we will go for a few mid levels.
You just need to find the next Buddy in the draft but that's easier said than done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How will Richmond balance its playing list after giving 1.1 million to one footballer for 7 years?

Surly this will have a significant impact on richmonds ability to not only bring new players to the club via free agency and trades, but also mean richmond will have the challange of retaining the current list?

Is the double edged sword of Dusty not moving on going to cause much distress for the Tigers in the future as time wears on?

No more so than the Buddy deal.

It won't affect the club very much at all. Firstly they can front load or back load the contract (even mid load) so they can fit other high profile recruits into the list. Sydney have both Buddy AND Tippett on sizeable deals plus they have Hanneberry, Kennedy etc etc plus up and coming youngsters in Heeney and Mills and yet they can fit players in.

Sydney have made 2 Grand Finals and been perennial finalists after signing Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett to massive long term contracts.

No more so than the Buddy deal.

Cola vs Pepsi though

apparently the price of a coffee in richmond is very affordable

Thats what we said about Brett Deledio at his age as well.

Martin is like a Hummer, lids a ferrari

i obviously have no idea if he will get injuries but hes got the right freak body type and track record at least

With the way salry cap is and future increases. all clubs will have at least a player or can afford on 1mill. At least they giving it to their best player

Cola vs Pepsi though

apparently the price of a coffee in richmond is very affordable

Martin is like a Hummer, lids a ferrari

i obviously have no idea if he will get injuries but hes got the right freak body type and track record at least
What ifs are silly sometimes. Has clearly been durable so far. Comet might hit us next week so let's not go to work

What ifs are silly sometimes. Has clearly been durable so far. Comet might hit us next week so let's not go to work

agreed thats why im more interested in player retention and the ability to bring in new players, primarily 2018-2019-2020 rather than how will dustys body go - for the club next season onwards

some have spelled out real doom and gloom scenarios

agreed thats why im more interested in player retention and the ability to bring in new players, primarily 2018-2019-2020 rather than how will dustys body go - for the club next season onwards

some have spelled out real doom and gloom scenarios
Who?

So hanging onto our best player (by some fair margin) is doom and gloom? If he went to North, THAT would have been doom and gloom.

Eh it's better then losing him and in the end the money won't mean a huge amount; as others said it's basically a fringe player. However I am not a fan of these long term deals; seven years is a long long time in football. I think if anything that is what could bit Richmond. But they had to do what they had to do to keep him so can't blame him

heaps of richmond and non richmond fans over a variety of discussions

i cant be bothered quoting them all so i made the discussion here, cause i think its an interesting thing.

ill do it if you really want but it will be boring and time consuming

So hanging onto our best player (by some fair margin) is doom and gloom? If he went to North, THAT would have been doom and gloom

no

yet richmond might be burdened by losing targets in the future or not being able to re-sign existing players is the narritive

(rance is the best player)

Eh it's better then losing him and in the end the money won't mean a huge amount; as others said it's basically a fringe player. However I am not a fan of these long term deals; seven years is a long long time in football. I think if anything that is what could bit Richmond. But they had to do what they had to do to keep him so can't blame him

he kicks a lot of goals and one good aspect is as he grows older and play him as a forward he would go good - currently or recently best 1v1 in afl

in theory as the team gets better they should be able cover him in the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back