Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by cannot, Sep 2, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. telsor

telsor Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Habs
    Explains why there was no interest from WA though. Absolutely no drugs over there....:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Yes and no. It simply isn't fair if a team has been paying 95% of the cap and then offers a ridiculous amount to one player in desperation. The other club can't match the amount and then goes on to lose the player and doesn't get compensation that is commensurate with its loss. Sure the other team is putting all its eggs into one basket but that doesn't help the team that lost that player.
    Imagine if both Dangerfield and Selwood were out of contract and one team offered them 2 million each to go over. Geelong could not match it and you then lose your two best players for pick 17 and 18 if you finish second. Hardly a compensation at all.

Bounce and Dr Tigris like this.
  3. 99cents

99cents Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Associate Membership of the "Focus on Football' contingent was offered and accepted by Carr as part of the settlement.

Percel likes this.
  4. ThePhreshOne

ThePhreshOne All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Houston Rockets
    Making things up again it seems.

Bulldog1954 likes this.
  5. Bokonon_

Bokonon_ Never Surrender

GWS
    Other teams:
    Again is an odd word and a lie, since I haven't "made anything up" for the first time. Your education, presumably remedial, is not my responsibility though.

6. ThePhreshOne

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Houston Rockets
    Oh so this is your first offence of it then? I highly doubt that.

7. Bokonon_

Bokonon_ Never Surrender

GWS
    Other teams:
    Offence? You are seriously delusional, I refer you to ny orevious post.

8. sprockets

sprockets Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    The '7-year-deal' thing doesn't matter one iota. I'm sure that if Dusty and the club both think he's no longer up to it he'll retire by mutual agreement. He seems like a guy who has pride in himself.

9. ThePhreshOne

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Houston Rockets
    What is a ny orevious?

10. Tushay

Tushay Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dusty's large salary probably manageable, but if he goes off the rails then it will be a disaster.

11. sante

sante is working

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Portland Trailblazers
    People forget that we haven't landed him from another club. He's already on a wage with us. We didn't have to find $1mill to fit him in, try half, if that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Reservoir tiger

Reservoir tiger All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    We get an extra 800k freed up from not having to pay lids or yarran in our salary cap next year plus the cba inflation.. we're fine.. we will still be active to trade/land a FA in the off season

Dr Tigris and Tiger2709 like this.
  13. ShanDog

ShanDog Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    A million a year is a lot of cash but it's hardly trailblazing sort of cash. Unless they have really overpaid a significant portion of the other 38-40 senior listed players, they'll be fine.

14. Tiger2709

Tiger2709 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    Brendon Gale certainly mentioned it in his dealings with Dusty, not so much jobs in the media .but his roles within the Korin Gamdji institute etc. I think Dusty though is one of those loyal people that sees value in being a one club player, it would have been interesting had we missed finals this year though.

15. Tiger2709

Tiger2709 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    Goes off the rails, not sure why you would think that, from all I have read he has always been a very committed footballer willing to train hard to achieve his dream of being an AFL player the media beat ups are more about his neck tattoos than who he is as a person imo.

16. Orange Agent

Orange Agent Club Legend

GWS
    Other teams:
    Is the Veterans list still part of the new CBA? Some of their highest earners would all become eligible in the next 2 years which saves over $100k a player.

17. ManOfClay

ManOfClay Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Memphis Grizzlies

Resigning players left right and centre. massively reduced debt.

Thanks for your concern

18. 99cents

99cents Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Well this sounds positive- impressed if that's the path Martin chooses to follow post career.

Tiger2709 and Dr Tigris like this.
  19. Dr Tigris

Dr Tigris Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Dusty is set up fairly well, and will finish a one club player.

The RFC still has space in the cap to have a go for a decent player/s. We've gone from loads of space to limited room. So much like most top 8 teams now.

it will be very interesting to see over the next few years how many similar 41m+ 6-8 year deals get signed off. Most years a player of that quality comes around and now that a few such deals have been done for top shelf players I can see it becoming the norm for the best players. Problem comes if someone gets desperate and does a similar deal for a B+ quality player/s to force a rebuild. You could easily strangle the club's long term list by overpaying and being locked in for many years.

Tiger2709 likes this.
  20. The Final Word

The Final Word Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    But that's the point, you shouldn't have the core of your team coming off contract at the same point, you time your extensions accordingly. And if players want to go for the dollars with a club that's destroyed their cap and subsequently their ability to attract or retain players, good luck to them, they'll need it. Geelong would enter the FA market with between $1.6 and $2 mil in room to sign a top line player and 2-3 lieutenants to rebuild.

If you want a Larry Bird exemption rule, then all good, not a huge fan as it gives more power to particular clubs but it's not a terrible idea IMO.

I don't want pick 17 or 18, I want nothing for us and others. The gaming of the system to ensure Hawthorn paid a salary for Vickery of whatever was required for the Tigers to get a 2nd round pick is a stain on the competition, not on Richmond mind you, they've played to the rules as they're written and as Geelong appear poised to do this October.

21. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    It was just an example. I could have just said someone offered Dangerfield $3 million (and his mother employment like Costa has). Yes, you free up $1 million in cap space but you lose the best player in the league and you can't replace him with anyone comparable.

22. Rich01

Rich01 Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    We will shed players this year that will get games at other clubs, no doubt.

Lloyd and Miles are two that other clubs would be looking to pick up.

While I wouldn't want to lose them, I can see other clubs offer them more $$$ and a spot in the senior 22.

Tiger2709 likes this.
  23. Snarls Barkley

Snarls Barkley Premium Gold

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
    I don't think Richmond will have any salary cap issues. Martin obviously on big coin, I assume Rance, Cotchin, Prestia and Riewoldt would be on decent coin. Other than that I doubt anyone is on big money or demanding big money. They will be fine, they would have had issues had they not been able to re-sign Martin however.

24. THE_GUN

THE_GUN Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    GALATASARAY
    Possible delistings / trade bait for 2017

Lennon , Lloyd , Miles , Maric , Hunt , Morris , Elton , Yarran

Believe it or not these players listed above recieve more than $2 million py and they will be replaced by new 18 yo players on min salary

25. Damon_3388

Damon_3388 Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red WIngs
    The only "compensation" the losing team deserves is the free list spot and salary cap space created by the departing out-of-contract player.