Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure John Elliot and his mates at Lygon street could of offered Martin something too.

Explains why there was no interest from WA though. Absolutely no drugs over there....:rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of free agency, just not where compensation is offered. If you want them bad enough, you'll sign them. Especially a restricted FA where you can match. Can't sign due to salary cap issues? We'll that's down to your list managers and backroom staff.

If a player goes as a FA to another club, yes they want him. They're giving up cap space and they've convinced him to come and the player has agreed.
Yes and no. It simply isn't fair if a team has been paying 95% of the cap and then offers a ridiculous amount to one player in desperation. The other club can't match the amount and then goes on to lose the player and doesn't get compensation that is commensurate with its loss. Sure the other team is putting all its eggs into one basket but that doesn't help the team that lost that player.
Imagine if both Dangerfield and Selwood were out of contract and one team offered them 2 million each to go over. Geelong could not match it and you then lose your two best players for pick 17 and 18 if you finish second. Hardly a compensation at all.

Again is an odd word and a lie, since I haven't "made anything up" for the first time. Your education, presumably remedial, is not my responsibility though.
Oh so this is your first offence of it then? I highly doubt that.

The '7-year-deal' thing doesn't matter one iota. I'm sure that if Dusty and the club both think he's no longer up to it he'll retire by mutual agreement. He seems like a guy who has pride in himself.

Dusty's large salary probably manageable, but if he goes off the rails then it will be a disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a very important factor in many contracts- the unspoken or slightly spoken idea that a club will set up a player post career, whether in a football related industry or not. Sponsors, board members, connections etc etc.

But I suspect it didn't make much diff in the Dusty case, as I don't think he's going to pursue a 'career' post footy.

I'm actually fairly surprised he didn't take the cash- good luck to him.
Brendon Gale certainly mentioned it in his dealings with Dusty, not so much jobs in the media .but his roles within the Korin Gamdji institute etc. I think Dusty though is one of those loyal people that sees value in being a one club player, it would have been interesting had we missed finals this year though.

Dusty's large salary probably manageable, but if he goes off the rails then it will be a disaster.
Goes off the rails, not sure why you would think that, from all I have read he has always been a very committed footballer willing to train hard to achieve his dream of being an AFL player the media beat ups are more about his neck tattoos than who he is as a person imo.

Brendon Gale certainly mentioned it in his dealings with Dusty, not so much jobs in the media .but his roles within the Korin Gamdji institute etc. I think Dusty though is one of those loyal people that sees value in being a one club player, it would have been interesting had we missed finals this year though.
Well this sounds positive- impressed if that's the path Martin chooses to follow post career.

Dusty is set up fairly well, and will finish a one club player.

The RFC still has space in the cap to have a go for a decent player/s. We've gone from loads of space to limited room. So much like most top 8 teams now.

it will be very interesting to see over the next few years how many similar 41m+ 6-8 year deals get signed off. Most years a player of that quality comes around and now that a few such deals have been done for top shelf players I can see it becoming the norm for the best players. Problem comes if someone gets desperate and does a similar deal for a B+ quality player/s to force a rebuild. You could easily strangle the club's long term list by overpaying and being locked in for many years.

Yes and no. It simply isn't fair if a team has been paying 95% of the cap and then offers a ridiculous amount to one player in desperation. The other club can't match the amount and then goes on to lose the player and doesn't get compensation that is commensurate with its loss. Sure the other team is putting all its eggs into one basket but that doesn't help the team that lost that player.
Imagine if both Dangerfield and Selwood were out of contract and one team offered them 2 million each to go over. Geelong could not match it and you then lose your two best players for pick 17 and 18 if you finish second. Hardly a compensation at all.
But that's the point, you shouldn't have the core of your team coming off contract at the same point, you time your extensions accordingly. And if players want to go for the dollars with a club that's destroyed their cap and subsequently their ability to attract or retain players, good luck to them, they'll need it. Geelong would enter the FA market with between $1.6 and $2 mil in room to sign a top line player and 2-3 lieutenants to rebuild.

If you want a Larry Bird exemption rule, then all good, not a huge fan as it gives more power to particular clubs but it's not a terrible idea IMO.

I don't want pick 17 or 18, I want nothing for us and others. The gaming of the system to ensure Hawthorn paid a salary for Vickery of whatever was required for the Tigers to get a 2nd round pick is a stain on the competition, not on Richmond mind you, they've played to the rules as they're written and as Geelong appear poised to do this October.

But that's the point, you shouldn't have the core of your team coming off contract at the same point, you time your extensions accordingly. And if players want to go for the dollars with a club that's destroyed their cap and subsequently their ability to attract or retain players, good luck to them, they'll need it. Geelong would enter the FA market with between $1.6 and $2 mil in room to sign a top line player and 2-3 lieutenants to rebuild.

If you want a Larry Bird exemption rule, then all good, not a huge fan as it gives more power to particular clubs but it's not a terrible idea IMO.

I don't want pick 17 or 18, I want nothing for us and others. The gaming of the system to ensure Hawthorn paid a salary for Vickery of whatever was required for the Tigers to get a 2nd round pick is a stain on the competition, not on Richmond mind you, they've played to the rules as they're written and as Geelong appear poised to do this October.
It was just an example. I could have just said someone offered Dangerfield $3 million (and his mother employment like Costa has). Yes, you free up $1 million in cap space but you lose the best player in the league and you can't replace him with anyone comparable.

We will shed players this year that will get games at other clubs, no doubt.

Lloyd and Miles are two that other clubs would be looking to pick up.

While I wouldn't want to lose them, I can see other clubs offer them more $$$ and a spot in the senior 22.

I don't think Richmond will have any salary cap issues. Martin obviously on big coin, I assume Rance, Cotchin, Prestia and Riewoldt would be on decent coin. Other than that I doubt anyone is on big money or demanding big money. They will be fine, they would have had issues had they not been able to re-sign Martin however.

Possible delistings / trade bait for 2017

Lennon , Lloyd , Miles , Maric , Hunt , Morris , Elton , Yarran

Believe it or not these players listed above recieve more than $2 million py and they will be replaced by new 18 yo players on min salary

The only "compensation" the losing team deserves is the free list spot and salary cap space created by the departing out-of-contract player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back