Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125367/default.aspx

To the Dees!!!! So does this mean we will be playing 2 home games a year up there now??? That will suck big time! Basically means 2 games we won't get to see the boys live at home. 1 less game on the G! And not to mention the amount of energy it takes out of the boys to play up there! Have we gotten close to winning a game the week after playing in Darwin?

I realise it will mean another $500,000 in the bank, which is great, but I thought the club now out of debt, didn't need to sell home games anymore?

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, we only agreed to 2 games in the original deal and have fulfilled them both.. So it is still just one in Darwin against Port Adelaide.

As much as I would rather attend the game here, it would potentially get shifted to Etihad due to a pitiful crowd, and I applaud trying to strengthen our presence in the Top End..

Devo_

Debutant
Jul 14, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
One less game at Etihad = Tick
The club can continue its community work in the Top End = Tick
Extra half mil in the sky rocket = Tick

Will be a bit worried if the bye occurs before rather than straight after this game. Melbourne played Hawthorn the week after travelling to Darwin this year and the game was lost before it started.

fattyboombatty

Debutant
Mar 24, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
We will probably play Freo or West Coast there. I don't really have a problem with it. If it means the club gets more cash in the bank. As long as our players continue to play well up there.

There is a problem if they don't get a considerable break after the game. I believe they had the bye after the Darwin game this year. I believe there will be no bye's next year, only the break in the middle some where. So I hope they have one of the games before the bye round and one of the games on a Friday night and have the next weeks game on a Sunday to allow for greater recovery.

Hopefully Melbourne and the AFL think about this.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
No problem with this. Get them used to travelling I say. Also a great challenge for the fitness department.

We will probably play Freo or West Coast there. I don't really have a problem with it. If it means the club gets more cash in the bank. As long as our players continue to play well up there.

There is a problem if they don't get a considerable break after the game. I believe they had the bye after the Darwin game this year. I believe there will be no bye's next year, only the break in the middle some where. So I hope they have one of the games before the bye round and one of the games on a Friday night and have the next weeks game on a Sunday to allow for greater recovery.

It will almost certainly be Port we play up there, not Freo or WC.

There will be a bye or "break" split over 3 rounds, 6 teams in each of 3 consecutive rounds will have a week off maintaining at least 6 games for each of those weekends. The fairest way to do this would be to give both us & our opposition the week off the following week. Failing that, we should be at very least given the latest possible game the following week, this can be our ONLY Sunday twilight game of the year...

I'm happy to do it for the cash, however maybe this should be our last year. If the following year we're really setting ourselves to finish high on the ladder a home game in Melbourne without an extended recovery period is more important than the money

Jeebs

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
It will almost certainly be Port we play up there, not Freo or WC.

There will be a bye or "break" split over 3 rounds, 6 teams in each of 3 consecutive rounds will have a week off maintaining at least 6 games for each of those weekends. The fairest way to do this would be to give both us & our opposition the week off the following week. Failing that, we should be at very least given the latest possible game the following week, this can be our ONLY Sunday twilight game of the year...
There is the small matter of the Doggies also playing Port up there. There is no way to be fair to all teams involved here (using the split rounds anyway).

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah, I thought it might have been a case of us having to play 2 games up there a year! Glad it's only 1, but I still have mixed thoughts about it. Even with our recent good record up there, it remains common ground for us and our opponent. Much more likely to beat whoever we play at the G. So what would be a 70/30 game, all of a sudden becomes a 50/50 match(assuming we play Port).

I don't mind selling games interstate if it's on common ground(not like the Gabba deal we had). We gain $500,000 and literally have a 50/50 chance of taking home the points. But it's the week after that has me concerned. No team backs up well after playing in Darwin. In fact, it's nearly a guaranteed loss. Surely the AFL needs to give teams a bye after playing in Darwin. If we can get this, then I am all for it. If not, then we are literally throwing away 4 points, potentially 8 if we lose in Darwin.

I commend the Tigers for ditching the Darwin game. They still have the Cairns match as well, but turning your back on $500,000 to back your team on winning 4 points at home is a brave move, and one our club should look at in the near future.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
The Tigers are only ditching it because they lost to Port in Darwin and The Suns in Cairns. If we lose to Port again next year we have major problems, regardless of wether the game is Darwin or on the ****ing moon.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm neither here not there on this issue.

I think for next year the extra 500k will probably come in handy, but after that I don't see the point of games in Darwin. I don't think we will ever have a strong fan base in Darwin, not one the contributes strongly to the club anyway. I think Schwab is a fair way off the mark if he thinks we will.

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is the small matter of the Doggies also playing Port up there. There is no way to be fair to all teams involved here (using the split rounds anyway).

lets say the split byes start in round 13 and finish round 15

Round 12 - Melbourne vs Port at TIO

Round 13 - Melbourne / Port Bye

Round 14 - Dogs vs ??? at TIO

Round 15 - Dogs / ??? Bye

syl

FAIR and BALANCED
Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North
We will get reciprocal games as supporters. It's only one year, hopefully we keep winning up there.

Extra $1,000,000 this year I suppose... we will just have to deal with it I guess :/

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Repeat what I said last year, find me a way to pocket an extra 500k without putting the hand out to fans and I'll join a crusade against these games.

Goes double now considering the $ spent on our football department all of a sudden.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Until we are genuine challengers for a top 4 spot, then keep accumulating these $500k games. We are not in a position to refuse good cash flow. Besides, $500k could buy us 4-6 extra fitness or coaching staff.

Something running around that it could be Gold Coast who we play up there, which would be far more dangerous than Port...

It will require smarter player management leading up to and after the the game.

By rights we should have a contingency where at least 6 or 7 players should be able to seemlessly come in for other players if necessary. I think Neeld is quite intent on building our depth and versatility.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
We might be out of debt but we're still a long way behind the leaders for revenue so finding these revenue streams is still a high priority. Besides, we need to learn to win everywhere and with Misson reknowned for a focus on recovery, I think we'll be alright.

Back