News Richmond star Alex Rance wants best-of-three finals series after Tigers’ 2018 preliminary final loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on Roksman

This article is absolute mountain out of a molehill stuff completely designed to ignite the scorn / wrath of other team supporters. Come on Tiger fans - you should be able to see the big picture by now and how the media work. A question asked, a musing answer mentioning a conversation with an opposition player and suddenly that becomes the headline inferring its a definite want.

Correct amc11. It's one small musing. Doesn't define the man or the Club. It's a thought bubble, think Rancey has a few thought bubbles to be honest. Someone has made more of it than it deserved.

Richmond star Alex Rance wants best-of-three finals series after Tigers’ 2018 preliminary final loss

Richmond defender Alex Rance has admitted last year’s preliminary final loss to Collingwood still haunts him and has suggested the AFL finals system should be tweaked to ensure the best team of the year wins the ultimate prize.
The Tigers finished two games clear atop of the ladder last year and won their qualifying final against Hawthorn with ease by 31 points.
However, the 2017 premiers went on to produce a horror preliminary final display against the Magpies, losing by 39 points to end their back-to-back dreams.

Rance said he spoke to Collingwood counterpart Scott Pendlebury this week about the idea of best-of-three finals series to ensure one bad game did not define a season.
In America, NBA finals are played as best-of-seven series.
“It’s an interesting one and it weighs on my mind a little bit at times as well but also recognising that it’s just one game,” Rance said of the preliminary final loss to the Magpies.
f2e77971eb6fb6c850e0cc23248046fa

Richmond’s preliminary final loss still haunts Alex Rance.​
“We had a winning season, all told, so (you try) focusing on the positives out of that season and not really putting too much of a burden just on one game because it can happen to the best of us. I was talking to Pendles about it actually, the thought of shortening the season and making a best-of-three so you can actually really identify who the best teams are. Because on a day if a couple of the best players don’t rock up or the team isn’t quite jelling you can get knocked off.”

While the Tigers are yet to officially announce their leadership group for 2019, Rance said he did not anticipate any changes from last year’s set up which had Trent Cotchin as captain and Jack Riewoldt and Rance as vice-captains.
Rance said he hoped to feature in both of Richmond’s JLT Community Series matches, the first against Melbourne in Shepparton next Sunday.
Link: https://outline.com/HEF9g7

In my opinion it is a bit of a Tex Walker Flog talk.......

So is this best of three for the Grand Final? Surely he can't mean best of three for the Preliminary Final which mean it would have been completely irrelevant to Richmond as they lost the Preliminary??

I wish Alex would just shut up and play football.
Always has too much to say, whether it be about finals , the Tom Lynch trade, or any other Click bait subject.
Honestly, fast becoming the AFL version of Shane Warne, who has become crickets version of Dial a comment.

Remember Rancey, if the 2017 Grand Final had been played as a best of 3 Series , there is every possible chance that the Crows could well be Premiers and not us.
Take the good with the bad

Totally agree we should have a best of 7 games like in the NBA. While we are at it lets put a basketball hoop between the goal at both ends :thumbsu:

Always has too much to say, whether it be about finals , the Tom Lynch trade, or any other Click bait subject.
Honestly, fast becoming the AFL version of Shane Warne, who has become crickets version of Dial a comment.

Remember Rancey, if the 2017 Grand Final had been played as a best of 3 Series , there is every possible chance that the Crows could well be Premiers and not us.
Or maybe listen to his actual words rather than a HS article designed to trigger reactions?

He never said he wanted it introduced.

You're playing into their hands.

So footy players should be seen and not heard?

I disagree with him, but he is entitled to his opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have noted, Rance never actually said that he wanted a best of 3 ........ Whilst acknowledging that the NBA, NHL nad MLB have best of 7 series, the most successful and most exciting sports have one off Finals e.g the Superbowl, the World Cup, the European Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back