Richmond still premiership favourites for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

They can’t win every game on the road whereas Richmond could only win one.

They were depleted and in a form slump when they lost to Essendon and Adelaide and they weren’t exactly going at 100% against Melbourne in Round 22 while Melbourne played out of their skins to make finals and they had no Kennedy that day and Darling went down early with a concussion.
Nah it's just that we match up well against the Eagles. So do the Swans who they lost to the week before we beat them.

Nah it's just that we match up well against the Eagles. So do the Swans who they lost to the week before we beat them.

Also historically I believe Essendon are the only Melbourne side who beat us in the head to head record.

Correct. Only Port, Essendon and Sydney have a positive record against West Coast.

Port 15-18
Essendon 23-29
Sydney 21-29

Port leading West Coast 18-15 is amazing after the last few years.

We must’ve dominated them for a while because they’ve beaten us 6 times in the past 4 seasons.

5-0 against us at Adelaide Oval is comical. Is there another team that has a similar record at an away ground?

We must’ve dominated them for a while because they’ve beaten us 6 times in the past 4 seasons.

5-0 against us at Adelaide Oval is comical. Is there another team that has a similar record at an away ground?

Eagles were pretty bad in the late 90s and early 00s, while Port were one of the best, which allowed them to get the jump on us. Same as against the Crows.

Richmond will finish 6-10 and may miss the 8. They were worked out in the prelim and we saw what happened when a couple of minor ailments hit them. West Coast and Collingwood were ravaged by injury all year. The Tigers have had a dream injury run but the injuries will come. There should only be one team close to Premiership favourites and that is West Coast. The best team in the comp with improvements to come.

Richmond will finish 6-10 and may miss the 8. They were worked out in the prelim and we saw what happened when a couple of minor ailments hit them. West Coast and Collingwood were ravaged by injury all year. The Tigers have had a dream injury run but the injuries will come. There should only be one team close to Premiership favourites and that is West Coast. The best team in the comp with improvements to come.

Yeah I think if we get a dominant ruck to fill in for NN and get something good for Gaff the comp may need to worry. Also if our good form in Vic continues. We looked nigh on unbeatable for half the year, that's no fluke.

And that's exactly why we won't finish top 4. Eagles have a tendency to tumble down the ladder when they are favourites and make GF's when everyone counts them out. Personally I think Pies will have a great 2019, still relatively young, and if they get a good run with injuries and with the pain of 2018, can see them finishing higher than WC. Logic in footy isn't always the best predictor of future success. I personally think the Dogs will make top 4 and Bombers will play in the GF.

Worked out in the Prelim. So because we had a poor game and you had a very good one we are no good and will miss the 8. Never mind that we finished on top of the ladder. We may not be as good next year, but the logic of one game and your out is a bit shallow. We have nobody above 30, we add Lynch and maybe one other decent player and we have some good kids coming through. We should be there abouts.

You’d argue if Hampson was semi decent at anything, he’d have competed better against Mason Cox than Gastrobury.

But hey, was worth the loss to see the biggest grand final choke of my lifetime.
I'm always bemused by statements like that.

You'd rather not play in a Grand Final, in order to watch another side lose......:drunk:

Football nuffie at an elite level. Appears you're dealing with being bent over in the Preliminary Final quite well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riiiight. Surely you dont actually think we lost because we were worked out, right? Everyone has known how to beet us for a long time, but you actually have to play very well to do it. Collingwood played very well and Richmond did not show up.

I actually think we’ll struggle to lose a game next year.

But as we saw this year it only takes a bad day and a bit of bad luck and Rance matching up on De Goey to lose a prelim.

West Coast supporters should be well aware of the impact two gun forwards have on a team.

Coming from a Port family, I had interest in the stat and think it has a lot to do with years we have doubled up playing each other in the past.

Think we consistently played Port twice in our weak years and once in our strong. So I think its a little skewed to Port when it should be pretty even because of that.

The addition of Tom Lynch is massive, if they replicate the tall forward craft of West Coast (leading space/revised forward web) they'll be favourites for sure. While Tom Lynch has never really played to his full potential I think that with above average supply from Richmonds midfield he could have a stellar season

Coming off a 6 game season though, you'd want to hope there's an injury clause in that contract and big forwards need huge preseasons to fire in the games before the byes

I'd be backing a pretty similar looking ladder to this year, perhaps with the Swans dropping out of the 8 and North or Essendon coming in (trades depending for North)

Richmond could be Geelong 2009 straight back or Just another flash in the pan.

Hard to tell. They’ve improved their star talent but hard to see if losing a few depth players will hurt at all.

They were exposed in the preliminary final and that mcg invincibility disappeared. Their last 5 games at the mcg besides the hawks game were much closer than other times.

I’m tipping a top 6 finish. Wonder when the injury luck will run out

I don't see how they can be premiership favourites. It should be the Eagles or Magpies since they you know played off in the grand final!!!

Richmond add Lynch ? I don't see what value hie adds to the team.
You don't see what Lynch adds.... he was AA a couple of years ago before injuries hit. Gun forward next to Riewoldt, (if he stays injury free).

People saying the Prelim meant anything other than that Richmond had an off day are being ridiculous.

That logic is like me saying Carlton will finish above Essendon last year because we beat them once. Or that Brisbane will finish above Hawthorn.

They might not win next year's Premiership, but they 100% will finish better than Collingwood or WC next year. Bookmark it

I actually think we’ll struggle to lose a game next year.

But as we saw this year it only takes a bad day and a bit of bad luck and Rance matching up on De Goey to lose a prelim.

West Coast supporters should be well aware of the impact two gun forwards have on a team.

You didn't learn much from the Prelim & the GF then.

2 key forwards sounds good. But first you need a good defense & a good midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back