Richmond still premiership favourites for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
https://m.sportsbet.com.au/#betting/australian-rules/afl/afl-premiership-winner-2019-4194037

I know it's very very early days and these could change between now and the start of next season, with the trades etc, and will obviously likely a shift a fair bit after a few rounds in, but still find it interesting the punters still have the Tigers are as short as $4.50 a year out, with Collingwood and West Coast on $6. Not overly bad odds for us. I guess they still think Richmond were the best all year despite finals. And are still best odds to win it again in 2019. I dunno, thought we would be faves or at least equal with Tiges but might put a very early one on us, though I've only put a few bets in sport in my life.

Too early to make predictions of course but I do sense Richmond will drop a bit. Probably to 2-4. Should still challenge but amongst the pack imo. Looked shaky late in the year, and I think I rated them too high.

Still kinda undecided about us. Will wait and see.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I’m a bit surprised too. West Coast definitely too long at $11 - have to show the premiers a bit more respect than that.
I (and clearly the bookies are with me) am in the camp that reckons we picked a bad day to have a bad day. We are the same team that went 18-4 and finished clear on top of the ladder. We showed last year that we know what it takes, so I suppose from the bookies perspective we are most likely to get ourselves in the right position, and play the best footy in September, and I guess that means winning the flag. Probably wouldn’t have us outright favourites though.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Melbourne GWS and the Pies would be my top picks for 2019. Eagles will be around the mark but back to back is extremely difficult

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m a bit surprised too. West Coast definitely too long at $11 - have to show the premiers a bit more respect than that.
I (and clearly the bookies are with me) am in the camp that reckons we picked a bad day to have a bad day. We are the same team that went 18-4 and finished clear on top of the ladder. We showed last year that we know what it takes, so I suppose from the bookies perspective we are most likely to get ourselves in the right position, and play the best footy in September, and I guess that means winning the flag. Probably wouldn’t have us outright favourites though.

$11? What site is that?? Sounds a real bargain.

Yeah even after a flag not too much faith in us haha.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Add Tom Lynch and take out some duds like Corey Ellis and Shaun Hampson, I see growth

I think Tigers gameplan might change slightly, and with Lynch could improve in some areas, but will the adjustment throw them off?

Also their run with injuries can't be as good as this year. Just feel they can't keep doing what they have to others with this style, teams are catching onto to it.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Melbourne GWS and the Pies would be my top picks for 2019. Eagles will be around the mark but back to back is extremely difficult

It won't be easy but the field isn't that strong either. I think if we find an elite ruck, even someone like Lobb, to cover for NN and find a replacement for Gaff there's no reason we can't bring some scary good form again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond were the best team this year. Just like Adelaide were the best team last year.

Maybe that's why they're favourites.

What were odds for the start of the year? Pretty sure Richmond were ahead of Adelaide. Yet WC not afforded the same...respect? Haha

Interestingly odds for Sydney, Adelaide and Collingwood to win on gfe were all about the same.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
What were odds for the start of the year? Pretty sure Richmond were ahead of Adelaide. Yet WC not afforded the same...respect? Haha

Interestingly odds for Sydney, Adelaide and Collingwood to win were all about the same.
From memory Adelaide were favourites, we were on the 4th or 5th line. Someone was carrying on about it meaning we were inferior premiers.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
These markets are a joke. Even if I was 100% certain that Richmond were going to win the flag next year, there'd be no point in putting on a bet with a 364 day payout without a massive stake, as I could bet any regular amount I would put on Richmond over the next year and make more than double the potential winnings easily.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond

Interestingly odds for Sydney, Adelaide and Collingwood to win were all about the same.
You would be very wrong. It may have seemed like we were clear favorites for a long time, but before the season there was still worries that we would have a premiership hangover. If you look in the ladder predictions thread, almost no one had as 1st, barely any 2nd and many outside the 8.

https://bettingsite.com.au/2018-afl-team-odds-tips-predictions-the-premiership-fancies/
Sydney started favorites in front of us ffs

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You would be very wrong. It may have seemed like we were clear favorites for a long time, but before the season there was still worries that we would have a premiership hangover. If you look in the ladder predictions thread, almost no one had as 1st, barely any 2nd and many outside the 8.

Odds to win the GF? Thought Rich were faves?

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Fair call , those two were really instrumental in your downfall this year
You’d argue if Hampson was semi decent at anything, he’d have competed better against Mason Cox than Gastrobury.

But hey, was worth the loss to see the biggest grand final choke of my lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back