Richmond still premiership favourites for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how they can be premiership favourites. It should be the Eagles or Magpies since they you know played off in the grand final!!!

Richmond add Lynch ? I don't see what value hie adds to the team.

You don’t see what value an All Australian key forward brings to a team with only 1 AFL standard key forward on their list?

He had one good season.... ONE. Richmond are pinning their hopes on him like Geelong did with Ablett. The implosion will be delicious to watch next year.
As usual, you're letting your pathological fear and loathing of the Tigers colour your view of reality.

Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast have to be fairly even favorites. I can see Lynch having a strong impact at the Tigers, IMO he replaces Caddy and is a big upgrade there. If Collingwood get their injuries right and get Moore or who ever going, find a key defender then they improve. Maybe Elliott and Reid get going, they need some luck. Eagles losing Gaff will suck but if they get Naitanui back then that's a bonus. LeCras may drop away one day too. See who's coming up for them. GWS should be good still but they just lack the killer defensive qualities that reign supreme in a premiership side, having said that they can develop some pressure and get their injuries right they can be a threat.

I think the next challenger will be Melbourne, they have the young talent growing. I don't think Hawks unless they land a big name and have another top run with injuries, their key core is pushing past the peak age period of AFL footballers now. I think things are slipping slowly out of Geelong's grasp, their core is also starting to push past the age limits. Swans I think may be more likely to slide than rise.

Outsiders are Essendon and Port (need to figure out a game plan for a skillful yet big and slow midfield).

I have a sick feeling that it'll be Pies year. Only key dropoff is potentially Pandles, but he's bloody classy and I can see him lifting for finals. Pies will be hungry, won't have the same horrid injury luck and will have experienced the big time.

I hope it is the Tiges over Pies. Tiges are at least irrelevant to us historically.

Richmond will likely fall away. Lynch will ruin their pressure gameplan, and they will be exposed as poorly skilled honest tryers when resorting to a more traditional gameplan. The real Tiges showed themselves in the prelim, got steamrolled by a better side who would have beaten them both times in the H&A had it not been for in game injuries. If they get another magic run with injuries they might be lucky to scrape into 9th, but if their absurd luck runs out they could fall a whole lot lower....

The above is addressed to the usual Richmond peanuts, who have become a whole lot quieter of late, but a few are still lurking like elevator farts.

To the better half of this Jekyl-Hyde fanbase, I reckon you’ll do alright. No real player losses and Lynch is a big inclusion. Top four is a likelihood, and anything can happen from there. My tip is next year, similar to the last few years, whichever teams hits the richest vein of form come September will do the most damage. It’s incredibly difficult to pick, but you’ll put yourselves in the position to give yourselves a good chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had one good season.... ONE. Richmond are pinning their hopes on him like Geelong did with Ablett. The implosion will be delicious to watch next year.

Geelong lost Mackie, Lonergan and Motlop going into the season. Richmond have only lost Conca.

And he’s had more than one good year. 15 disposals, 6-7 marks and 2 goals a game for 4 years in a row up until his injury this year.

Reckon the Tigers are deserving premiership favourites for 2019. Taking into account their premiership win last year and the fact they finished first in the H&A season this year, the Tigers are also the only side in the past two years to have finished top 4 in the H&A season and in the finals. The Lynch acquisition is big and I think he will thrive at Richmond.

Too early to tell, but even during this year when they were favourites for the flag for the bulk of the season, I never really rated Richmond as an elite side. I saw them get beat by Adelaide in Adelaide, by West Coast in Perth, by GWS in Sydney, even to my team in Adelaide which tells you something, yet put them on the G against a poor Victorian side or an interstate side and they looked like world beaters. Not trolling, just stating the facts. I think they had a win in Qld late in the year this year against the Suns who finished second bottom but in Perth and Adelaide they looked nothing special. When they finally came up against a team at the MCG that could match their intensity, they looked ordinary. They are a good side but I would not class them a great side to the point where I would have them starting favourites for 2019.

Yep after last night's performance
No no the competition have worked out our gameplan haven’t they? That’s all I’ve been hearing since rd 2. We’ve been the best team for half of 2017 and all of 2018 bar the end. We are just resuming natural order now, doesn’t mean we are going to win the flag however our best at the MCG is better than anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back