Richmond Team of the Century. Any changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did say as a backman. Rance with Bourke are the two best backs I've seen at Richmond, don't know much about Strang, maybe he could replace him.
:)
I think the world's most awarded (if thats the right word) ugliest dog is a Chinese crested.

View attachment 917102
the one I saw was an 11 week old pup , quite cute , fit in a hand bag stuff , but still bizarre

Martin and Rance would have to come in. Cotchin doubtful, but maybe.

Matthew Knights was an absolute gun, he was like Lachie Neale but with better disposal. I don't think he turned the ball over for 5 years. Having said that he would probably make way.

and Green is a 4 time premiership star in the bests in most finals games played over his era (mostly as a ruck)
not sure i would shift him out to fit Rance in
I doubt if Michael Green got more than a couple of minutes in the 1967 Grand Final. I would say he starred in 3 premiership sides as a ruckman. Incidentally, is there room for 3 ruckmen in that side?

As an extension of the discussion, I was looking at the list of 100 Tiger Treasures today ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Football_Club

... and thought that two of the awards would be surpassed by today's club.

Best Individual Performance of the Century: Has to be Dusty's 2017.
Premiership of the Century: 2017 without a doubt.

Different times different professionalism. cant compare older era players to the current ones.
no offence.
Weightman, Richo and Bartlett would have a pretty good crack though.
Footy skills overall improved greatly from 1900------1960 and then 1960------today was even greater.
music on the other hand went in the opposite direction.

To be honest, I've never been convinced the 'Bourke-Barrott-Clay' centreline was as good as legend says - Bourke was a star, Clay was a good all-rounder and Barrott was a brilliant lair - great, but inconsistent.

From the book on Tom Hafey .. 'The Hafey Years'. Apparently the Bourke-Barrott-Clay centreline played together a maximum of about 30 times.
That's basically not even two full seasons. So the myth is actually a bit bigger than fact.

I digress though, I reckon one Jack Riewoldt would have to be a pretty strong contender for a spot in our best ever 22.

From the book on Tom Hafey .. 'The Hafey Years'. Apparently the Bourke-Barrott-Clay centreline played together a maximum of about 30 times.
That's basically not even two full seasons. So the myth is actually a bit bigger than fact.

I digress though, I reckon one Jack Riewoldt would have to be a pretty strong contender for a spot in our best ever 22.

Jacks record will hold up well ....will prob finish close to 700 goals , 3 Colemans 3 all austs and countless leading goal kicker awards ...at least 2 flags and I think 2 best and fairests....maybe 300 games also

Disagree about BBC, they were all great players. Bill Barrot claimed Clay was best player at Richmond because he could play anywhere. Bourke also versatile. Together as a midfield they were drivers behind 67/ 69 flags. They would all be guns today.
No bias? :p

Talking about three players individual efforts. Bourke five flags Clay four Barrot two.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacks record will hold up well ....will prob finish close to 700 goals , 3 Colemans 3 all austs and countless leading goal kicker awards ...at least 2 flags and I think 2 best and fairests....maybe 300 games also

Problem is where does he fit in? Just from Tassie, in the last 50 years we've had some great KPFs - all 'R's.

Royce
Roach
Richo
Riewoldt

Then you have Skinny Titus - a mere 970 goals. Hard to leave him out.

For team balance, maybe you want an enforcer to keep the opposition defenders on their toes - Cloke? Balme? What about Big Joe Poulter? (I mean, Jack Dyer can't do it all).

How about George Bayliss - our Full-forward in our first 2 flags (1920-21). League-leading goalkicker in 1920. I'll see if I can dig up his highlights on youtube;).

We've had a lot of history, and a lot of very good players.

Did you see them play? All three were stars and each would fit in to today’s game with ease. Our current players will certainly make the next team for this century. The previous team was for last century so should stand.

Did you see them play? All three were stars and each would fit in to today’s game with ease. Our current players will certainly make the next team for this century. The previous team was for last century so should stand.
Nah I’m a spring chicken. I was making the assumption your username was based on the 3 😂

Problem is where does he fit in? Just from Tassie, in the last 50 years we've had some great KPFs - all 'R's.

Royce
Roach
Richo
Riewoldt

For team balance, maybe you want an enforcer to keep the opposition defenders on their toes - Cloke? Balme? What about Big Joe Poulter? (I mean, Jack Dyer can't do it all).

How about George Bayliss - our Full-forward in our first 2 flags (1920-21). League-leading goalkicker in 1920. I'll see if I can dig up his highlights on youtube;).

Riewoldt vs Roach would be pretty neck and neck.

Royce
Roach
Richo
Riewoldt

If you need an enforcer according to Jack Dyer there was a player that if you saw his face redden even the Richmond players would give him a wide berth. He played in the late 40's early 50's. Ted Whitten was warned by him in his first game that if he kicked a goal he would not finish the game. Guess what. Ted was carried off unconscious...Mopsy Fraser.

Riewoldt vs Roach would be pretty neck and neck.

Loved Disco - and a fabulous player - but think Jack has got him covered, personally.
Comes with the disclaimer though that had that prick Merrett not driven his knees into Roachy's back, he probably would have been every bit as good as Richo. Geez he played some ripper games in the ruck, aside from his great contributions at full forward.

If you need an enforcer according to Jack Dyer there was a player that if you saw his face redden even the Richmond players would give him a wide berth. He played in the late 40's early 50's. Ted Whitten was warned by him in his first game that if he kicked a goal he would not finish the game. Guess what. Ted was carried off unconscious...Mopsy Fraser.
The game is far better for not having these sort of thugs in it any more. Punching someone in the back of the head isn't tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back