Richmond - The AFL's Biggest Merchandise Seller ...Again (Congratulations Champs!)

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
15 flags babe, how many you won? How long did your club go without making finals? Damn, imagine Collingwood or Essendon missing finals for 168 years and then coming good lol.
9 up to 1930 when Squizzy Taylor was doing his best work, the Sydney Harbour Bridge hadn't been built, General Motors Holden was 18 years away from rolling out its 1st car, no-one had heard of Adolf Hitler, Bodyline didn't exist, Queen Elisabeth was in nappies, Northcote was an outer northern suburb. Want me to go on? How ya feeling now kiddo? And btw, finals were based on a mickey mouse system with 8 teams in the comp. 6 in 90 years. 2 in 62 years. Your youngest supporter to appreciate 3 flags would be over 70 years of age. How do you live with the curse of being a Collingwood supporter?

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
How you guys going since your COLA was removed?
Relax, it was a comment said in jest; Geez, 3 premierships in 4 seasons and the Tiggers are still a bit sensitive about the times they went without!

Familiarise yourself with the state of the RFC now compared to 10, let alone 20 or 30 years ago. You could start by reading Konrad Marshall's book "Yellow & Black". If you're brave enough to do so wear a nappy. Tigers aren't going away any time soon.
Yeah, Richmond are well run now, but premierships are won with cattle. Look at Hawthorn. Everyone crapped on about how they were best admined footy club in Vic with one of the greatest coaches in the game. Fast fwd several years and they can't win 30% of their matches even with all the prestige that came with winning premierships and attracting players to the club. Likewise my mob - punting the cap on a bloke well into his 30s and barely managing to string several matches in a season has been good for market exposure, but shithouse for performances on the field.

Like my father used to say, you can only * with the utensil you've got. Clarko had 12 inches once. Now he's only got 4.

Irrespective of how well the club is run, it'll most likely happen to Hardwick at Richmond in a few seasons. The state of governance and financials will not necessarily keep up there if they don't make the right decisions with playing personnel.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Relax, it was a comment said in jest; Geez, 3 premierships in 4 seasons and the Tiggers are still a bit sensitive about the times they went without!

Yeah, Richmond are well run now, but premierships are won with cattle. Look at Hawthorn. Everyone crapped on about how they were best admined footy club in Vic with one of the greatest coaches in the game. Fast fwd several years and they can't win 30% of their matches even with all the prestige that came with winning premierships and attracting players to the club. Likewise my mob - punting the cap on a bloke well into his 30s and barely managing to string several matches in a season has been good for market exposure, but shithouse for performances on the field.

Like my father used to say, you can only fu** with the utensil you've got. Clarko had 12 inches once. Now he's only got 4.

Irrespective of how well the club is run, it'll most likely happen to Hardwick at Richmond in a few seasons. The state of governance and financials will not necessarily keep up there if they don't make the right decisions with playing personnel.
The basic premise of your argument is correct, that is, the entity must be strong. However, what you need to understand is a strong and viable entity will have the resources to recruit and develop the "cattle" as you say.

FYI, a third of Richmond's premiership list over the last 2 years came off rookie lists. Grimes, Lambert, Castagna, Baker, Soldo, Short, Pickett. Every club had 4 or 5 chances to pick these players up! Richmond did then had the resources to develop them into premiership players. Does that tell you you need a 12" utensil? Tells me you could do a good job with one half the size if you know what you're doing.

Sure, players like Martin are irreplaceable. But if the entity is strong it can remain so on-field. Prior to 10 years ago the RFC was in debt, under resourced and consequently poor on-field. Today it has millions in cash reserves, fully resourced programs, 100 000+ members leading to premium sponsorship deals. Don't hold your breath thinking this ship will sink.

And, btw, don't compare Richmond with a minnow club like Hawthorn. The Tasmanian government is making significant noise about a stand alone team and will not be renewing agreements with Hawthorn and NM beyond next year. Just you wait and see the impact that will have on the SS Minnow aka Hawthorn.

Like my father used to say, you can only fu** with the utensil you've got. Clarko had 12 inches once. Now he's only got 4.

I AM NOT SEEENNNSSIIITTIIIVVVEEEEE

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Took Richmond near 40 years to achieve it. Wasn’t simple for them either then.
Achieved it 13 times compared to 2

Achieved it 35 times, at all levels, the equal most of any Victorian club

Dunno what fight you are trying to pick, legit a tiger against a dog

Last edited:

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Best thing about this is,

- Premiership Guernseys delayed for over a month after the GF.
- Slattery Media didnt even release GF pictorial book.
- Team signed memorabilia delayed until 2021 due to Covid restrictions.
- No changes in Guernsey sponsors, still Jeep, still NIB, still puma...
- New Era Premiers Caps sold out on Grand Final night (ones the players give to the auskicks who present the medals), and New Era never released another set.
- HS Premiership car stickers sh*t quality, just an example of shitter quality cheap merchandise.

You may be an opposition supporter and scoff and laugh and pot shot, but the merchandise roll out was super sh*t for the 2020 premiership. The fact Richmond sold so much of it, shows the loyalty of a fan base that was starved success for a long time.

Not due to the generally poor state of literacy among the playing list?

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
8 then, also, where's my bottle of scotch?

I must say my old friend, football doesn't interest me much anymore, my son has taken up basketball and i tend to follow that nowa days, i will always take interest in Collingwood but nothing like i used too, has nothing to do with the rascism sh*t fwiw.
Aye Pies fans do tend to jump off in the lean decades of success.

Back