Richmond - The AFL's Biggest Merchandise Seller ...Again (Congratulations Champs!)

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
And not one tin shake.

Pretty certain AMAZON started out in a garage, Nintendo almost went bust before the revolutionary Wii, Disney recycled animations in the 70 and 80s before their animated movies launched the company into uncharted territory and Apple was on the brink of collapse before the iPod. All the great organisations have ebs and flows.

Essendon... have also had their own ebs and flows, and were once a great organisation, during the lows, they have compromised their reputation and dignity, which has been lost.

If your board could rattle tins and request some dignity, they'd be outside our homes and claim it as an essential service.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Geez, 3 premierships in 4 seasons and the Tiggers are still a bit sensitive about the times they went without!

Sensitive? not a chance, you accept the bad times 'I went through it' but I can assure you that a dynasty (3 premierships in 4 years) washes away any inkling of the times we went without.
Perhaps not for the swans, I mean, if any ones to be sensitive surely it's the luckless swans enduring a 72-year hiatus before tasting premiership glory again Ouch!

It's amazing when opposition supporters with their selective memory take pot shots about the tiges lack of success between (1982 and 2016) conveniently leave out the short period of time before that "1967-1980" when we won 5 flags, so contrary to what many think tiger fans have been spoiled, 8 flags in the last 53 years (equal 2nd most in that time).

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
And not one tin shake.
Just one tin shed. In south Sunbury.

How did this even happen? 🤯

images - 2021-02-14T092352.220.jpeg

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon did more to save Richmond than 95% of its fans. Tragic.

You know that’s is not true . You knuw you should change your name to South Sunbury.

Why so desperate ? Enjoy the wilderness for at least another 6008 days . Sheedy’s legacy .
So sad to see that your once mighty club has become the laughing stock of the competition, shocking decisions appointing Sheedy , Josh Mahoney ? Paul brasher ? Recruiting Dylan Shiel and Jake Stringer ? .

Whatever it takes .

That’s tragic .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Sensitive? not a chance, you accept the bad times 'I went through it' but I can assure you that a dynasty (3 premierships in 4 years) washes away any inkling of the times we went without.
Perhaps not for the swans, I mean, if any ones to be sensitive surely it's the luckless swans enduring a 72-year hiatus before tasting premiership glory again Ouch!

It's amazing when opposition supporters with their selective memory take pot shots about the tiges lack of success between (1982 and 2016) conveniently leave out the short period of time before that "1967-1980" when we won 5 flags, so contrary to what many think tiger fans have been spoiled, 8 flags in the last 53 years (equal 2nd most in that time).

Cant say I was alive for most of that mate. I've been rather charmed in that I've supported the Swans since the early 90s and only got 2-3 seasons of pain before an extended run of competitiveness until a couple of seasons ago . COLA or no COLA, the current malaise is really due to a poor decision of a long-term contract and that big chunk of the cap missing plenty of matches in recent seasons, and the compounding issue of that contract leaving little for supporting cattle.

It can happen to any club which was my point, even one which is currently being run well. All competitive clubs are being run well. They don't stay competitive forever though. So definitely, enjoy these great times because bad ones could be just around the corner again. :thumbsu:

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Cant say I was alive for most of that mate. I've been rather charmed in that I've supported the Swans since the early 90s and only got 2-3 seasons of pain before an extended run of competitiveness until a couple of seasons ago . COLA or no COLA, the current malaise is really due to a poor decision of a long-term contract and that big chunk of the cap missing plenty of matches in recent seasons, and the compounding issue of that contract leaving little for supporting cattle.

It can happen to any club which was my point, even one which is currently being run well. All competitive clubs are being run well. They don't stay competitive forever though. So definitely, enjoy these great times because bad ones could be just around the corner again. :thumbsu:
The powers that be at Richmond have made some incredibly stupid decisions in the past. I'm talking even when we were a powerhouse through the late '60s and '70s. Stupid decisions which cost the club 3 decades. Whilst there's no guarantee Richmond will be immune from stupidity in the future, I have a warm inner glow knowing our decision making over the last 10-15 years has been 1st class and the club has learnt from those decades of disaster.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
And not one tin shake.
Our club is mostly funded by the common woman/man on the street, when we hit hard times that's where we go to see if they can spare a little extra. Never got why are so many on here so disparaging about that?

EFC had to beg hard much more recently that RFC, just you don't see it because they fund from a group of rich business men, and it happens in vic gov/melbourne club corridors rather than the street.

'rattling the brandy bloom' shall we call it?

EFC actually did it pretty dirty tbh, with an 'opt out' extra charge for their rank and file to fund Hirdy's Parisian fancies etc. At least RFC asks you if you want to opt in.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The basic premise of your argument is correct, that is, the entity must be strong. However, what you need to understand is a strong and viable entity will have the resources to recruit and develop the "cattle" as you say.

FYI, a third of Richmond's premiership list over the last 2 years came off rookie lists. Grimes, Lambert, Castagna, Baker, Soldo, Short, Pickett. Every club had 4 or 5 chances to pick these players up! Richmond did then had the resources to develop them into premiership players. Does that tell you you need a 12" utensil? Tells me you could do a good job with one half the size if you know what you're doing.

Sure, players like Martin are irreplaceable. But if the entity is strong it can remain so on-field. Prior to 10 years ago the RFC was in debt, under resourced and consequently poor on-field. Today it has millions in cash reserves, fully resourced programs, 100 000+ members leading to premium sponsorship deals. Don't hold your breath thinking this ship will sink.

And, btw, don't compare Richmond with a minnow club like Hawthorn. The Tasmanian government is making significant noise about a stand alone team and will not be renewing agreements with Hawthorn and NM beyond next year. Just you wait and see the impact that will have on the SS Minnow aka Hawthorn.

In a capped league, there are many examples of under-resourced organisations who have had teams excel, and examples of very well resourced organisations who have had teams stink it up.

We all like to think our organisation is doing something right behind the scenes with development, etc to deliver premierships, but IMO I think it is given way to much importance. The only right thing a club does to win a premiership is recruit the right players. Ultimately, success is player-driven. In all my years in elite pathways and representative sport, I've largely implemented processes that have been much the same. Over a couple of years, you'll have a bunch of gun players who make you look like a superstar with multiple finals appearances. The next couple may be lean and you question your methods. I'm now at a place where I know that what I do will not make a tremendous difference. I don't write the script, I merely set the stage.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Enlighten me. What did Essendon do other than allow Richmond and Carlton play a legends game at Windy Hill? I was at the SOS rallies, didn't see any Essendon supporters there.
Free use, 25k crowd at 15 bucks a head all food and drink was a good kickstart Maso. I chipped in and was happy to do so.

Latitude or longitude is always easy when the minority is gathered into its realm..
selling your soul isn't always the best dude...

How's destination Tasmania looking under Jeff?

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You know that’s is not true . You knuw you should change your name to South Sunbury.

Why so desperate ? Enjoy the wilderness for at least another 6008 days . Sheedy’s legacy .
So sad to see that your once mighty club has become the laughing stock of the competition, shocking decisions appointing Sheedy , Josh Mahoney ? Paul brasher ? Recruiting Dylan Shiel and Jake Stringer ? .

Whatever it takes .

That’s tragic .

That’s all pretty lame tbh. You gotta be a bit more creative than that😄

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
That’s all pretty lame tbh. You gotta be a bit more creative than that

Back to the Future! Essendons recruiting and administration is so Richmond from our troubled years . You will keep stumbling from one crisis , different coaches and At very best the odd mid table finish for many many more years . Gosh you’ll consider our apparent habit of finishing 9th as a success . Let’s call it Essendondy .
Why should we , as a successful club , contributing to not only the financial coffers of the AFL but to the social agenda if the AFL be penalized by the tax but also carry perrenial underperformers like Essendon ?

It’s tragic . Essendon is tragic . Sheedy’s legacy .

Hope that clears it up for you .

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Form is temporary while class is permanent.

Total VFL/AFL premierships:
Essendon 16
Richmond 13

I'd be very surprised if Richmond catch up to the class leaders in the 21st century, though I'm sure their supporters will find comfort in winning merchandise sales over the next few years. Impressive work!

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Form is temporary while class is permanent.

Total VFL/AFL premierships:
Essendon 16
Richmond 13

I'd be very surprised if Richmond catch up to the class leaders in the 21st century, though I'm sure their supporters will find comfort in winning merchandise sales over the next few years. Impressive work!

Class is permanent? You lost any rights to that claim from 2012 ... very ordinary and Unclassy .

Whatever it takes hey ? Very classy !

Tragic .

Back