Richmond - The AFL's Biggest Merchandise Seller ...Again (Congratulations Champs!)

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Back to the Future! Essendons recruiting and administration is so Richmond from our troubled years . You will keep stumbling from one crisis , different coaches and At very best the odd mid table finish for many many more years . Gosh you’ll consider our apparent habit of finishing 9th as a success . Let’s call it Essendondy .
Why should we , as a successful club , contributing to not only the financial coffers of the AFL but to the social agenda if the AFL be penalized by the tax but also carry perrenial underperformers like Essendon ?

It’s tragic . Essendon is tragic . Sheedy’s legacy .

Hope that clears it up for you .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree with Essendon’s failures but nobody is carrying Essendon. Essendon is still the club keeping Marvel Stadium alive and despite all these failures, still generates among the largest crowds, memberships and sponsorship books in the AFL. Hardly being carried.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Class is permanent? You lost any rights to that claim from 2012 ... very ordinary and Unclassy .

Whatever it takes hey ? Very classy !

Tragic .

It was a regrettable short period of poor governance in the time of a club with a long and proud history. Richmond, of all clubs, should have been grateful to have benefited through being gifted an easy finals game against the underachieving Carlton side of that year.

Unfortunately you weren't able to capitalise on the opportunity. It's highly likely you would have lost by double that margin against the strong Essendon side of that year who would have more than likely gone on to win the premiership and thus benefited from merchandise sales in a similar manner to what Richmond is doing now.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Richmond fans living it up after decades of underachievement. Even moreso, it's nice to see an Essendon legend holding the wheel during your successful era.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
It was a regrettable short period of poor governance in the time of a club with a long and proud history. Richmond, of all clubs, should have been grateful to have benefited through being gifted an easy finals game against the underachieving Carlton side of that year.

Unfortunately you weren't able to capitalise on the opportunity. It's highly likely you would have lost by double that margin against the strong Essendon side of that year who would have more than likely gone on to win the premiership and thus benefited from merchandise sales in a similar manner to what Richmond is doing now.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Richmond fans living it up after decades of underachievement. Even moreso, it's nice to see an Essendon legend holding the wheel during your successful era.

Regrettable ? It was the most disgusting and damaging episode of abuse of system , trust and welfare of young men in Australian professional sporting history .

Great to see Essendon have two decades of chronic underachievement , heading for 3 .

Tragic .

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They represent 5% of the competition.

Yet sold 15% of the competitions merchandise and have 10% of the leagues members.

Fans of the RFC have been left frustrated by the lack of premiers merchandise this year due to Covid yet have once again blown all other clubs out the water. Selling more than DOUBLE the merchandise of Collingwood and West Coast proving premiership fatigue doesn't exist if its a premiership of Richmond's. 🙌

Aside from GWS and Gold Coast, Adidas must be left fuming cause Hawthorn only equal 2.5% of all merchandise sold - 3rd last in the comp and worst performed Victorian side.

Source -AFL website
Doesn't this reflect on the type of person that supports Richmond?

I mean, let's be honest. Only a certain type of person wears merch.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Form is temporary while class is permanent.

Total VFL/AFL premierships:
Essendon 16
Richmond 13

I'd be very surprised if Richmond catch up to the class leaders in the 21st century, though I'm sure their supporters will find comfort in winning merchandise sales over the next few years. Impressive work!
Pre WW1 premierships against 7-9 other sides and place kicks premierships dont count.

More like dumb luck than class.

Doesn't this reflect on the type of person that supports Richmond?

I mean, let's be honest. Only a certain type of person wears merch.

You’re right ... Suns supporters don’t because they’re too embarrassed

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Relax, it was a comment said in jest; Geez, 3 premierships in 4 seasons and the Tiggers are still a bit sensitive about the times they went without!

Yeah, Richmond are well run now, but premierships are won with cattle. Look at Hawthorn. Everyone crapped on about how they were best admined footy club in Vic with one of the greatest coaches in the game. Fast fwd several years and they can't win 30% of their matches even with all the prestige that came with winning premierships and attracting players to the club. Likewise my mob - punting the cap on a bloke well into his 30s and barely managing to string several matches in a season has been good for market exposure, but shithouse for performances on the field.

Like my father used to say, you can only fu** with the utensil you've got. Clarko had 12 inches once. Now he's only got 4.

Irrespective of how well the club is run, it'll most likely happen to Hardwick at Richmond in a few seasons. The state of governance and financials will not necessarily keep up there if they don't make the right decisions with playing personnel.

Stick to the topic and leave Dimma out of this.

Much as I enjoy pumping up my club.

I'd assume the Premiers would almost always be the biggest merch sellers (even more so when they go B2B).

When it's a large club, you'd think it'd be a cast iron certainty that they would be.

Last edited:
I'm not a Suns supporter.

But I'd absolutely be embarrassed to wear merch out publicly.

Your account says you support GC.

Mind you, if you're so embarrassed about the club you support that you'd lie on football forum about who you support, then I suppose it's not surprising you'd be ashamed to wear anything that would identify you as supporting such a club.

I can only assume you really support one of the cheats...Essendon or Carlton....If so, I understand why you'd feel so ashamed.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol they won the flag. Fans buy the premiership merchandise. Hardly an achievement.
Also helps when the manufacturer for a lot of other clubs decides to stop supplying to the AFL.

Port couldn't even get ISC to do a run of Prison Bars with a subliminated MG logo, had to have a stick on transfer over the GFG logo. And that was despite their being months between the MG sponsorship announcement and the game against Adelaide.

Didn't have a single piece of merch with the MG logo on it. Stuff sold out early in the year and was never restocked.

Puma, from what I understood kept supplying Richmond well all year.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Your account says you support GC.

Mind you, if you're so embarrassed about the club you support that you'd lie on football forum about who you support, then I suppose it's not surprising you'd be ashamed to wear anything that would identify you as supporting such a club.

I can only assume you really support one of the cheats...Essendon or Carlton....If so, I understand why you'd feel so ashamed.

It's more related to the fact that I'm an adult.

Merch is for children. Anyone over the age of 15 that wears merch really needs to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Back