Richmond. The rebuild to the 2017 premiership (Review on 2016-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just too many average players in the side.

Some drafting question marks too. Spending a top 10 pick on an average back pocket isn't a good idea.
not that smart i must say. At least get them off Friday nights. It bad when a game is over at half time and it is so poor you can not enjoy a good win.

Me, I have no idea about them but I like a bit of coach sacking, usually brings a club on. Also sack 1 or 2 low life individuals in the team -they must drag others dawn in spirit.

Rance is.
Rewioldt is.
Lids was AA last year when he missed 5 games, he was that good.
Dusty has just missed out on AA for 2 years straight. Destructive gun.

One wonders why you haven't won a final the past 3 years and have started this season so poorly.

Richmond's midfield guns are guns the way Luke Shuey is a gun, not the way Gary Ablett and Nat Fyfe are.

My opinion is that they've got a quality list offset by so called 'A-graders' such as Vickery and Edwards who are in actuality just absolute trash.
Ridiculous. Why are some people so intellectually limited that a player has to be 'elite' or 'rubbish' and nowhere in the middle.

Vickery and Edwards are the definition of good role-players that would get a game at just about every club.

Richmond's problem is that they recruited a bunch of very limited mature-agers who got games and exposure at the expense of some mid-range first round picks. Its easy to forget how far the Tigers have come from when they couldn't win a game to save themselves, but they've just about hit their ceiling with this list.

lol how many times has Richmond rebuild over the last 10 years!!!

Coach is no good he's had seven years at it and delivered nothing
I know Richmond don't want to sack coaches because that's what they've been renowned for in the past, but somethings gonna give!

time to grow a pair and make the call!
How is going from perennial cellar dwellar to top 8 x3 delivering nothing.

When I was at school in the early 2000s, this kind of conversation about Richmond was unimaginable. They couldn't win a game, they were constantly uprooting everything.

Ahhhh. Righto.
Rance, Reiwoldt, Martin, Deledio all top tier at the moment.

Rance is very, very good, not quite as good as Richmond supporters believe.

Riewoldt is good but lacks the ability to really impose himself on a game and turn it.

Deledio is very good when on but misses too much footy.

Dusty is way too flaky. A big fend off and a nice kick only get you so far.

One wonders why you haven't won a final the past 3 years and have started this season so poorly.

Richmond's midfield guns are guns the way Luke Shuey is a gun, not the way Gary Ablett and Nat Fyfe are.
Obviously. Abletts in the tier of his own, Fyfe is just below that. If thats what a gun was then there wouldn't be many in the AFL.
Those 4 are guns.

Overachieved and led people to believe that players like Cotchin and Martin are A graders when they simply aren't.

Their bottom 10 players would be amongst the worst in the league.

Yes, they need a rebuild.

Martin is A grade. You don't know football.
Just about the only player along with Rance who influences games every week

Hardwick isn't the man to rebuild
How is going from perennial cellar dwellar to top 8 x3 delivering nothing.

When I was at school in the early 2000s, this kind of conversation about Richmond was unimaginable. They couldn't win a game, they were constantly uprooting everything.

I understand that, but still despite three finals appearance in a row no wins!!! The club has shown under him they are not mentally prepared.

I can already predict how the season will plan out! they'll have a s**t start like they currently are, make a mid season revival when they play some of the crappier teams will ride that wave and fluke a few wins from a few decent teams toward the end of the season probably squeeze in to the finals and all hail Hardwick! contract extension! rinse repeat next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rance is very, very good, not quite as good as Richmond supporters believe.

Riewoldt is good but lacks the ability to really impose himself on a game and turn it.

Deledio is very good when on but misses too much footy.

Dusty is way too flaky. A big fend off and a nice kick only get you so far.
Hahaha righto. Rance is THE best defender in the league. He rarely loses a 1 on 1. And his dare and run out of defense is top tier as well.

Rewioldts a forward. Hes got to get given the ball to turn the game.
Kicked 3 goals in the last against the Pies to put us to a seemingly winning lead. The his teammates let him down.

Lol no. Deledio has played 18, 19, 23, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 19, 21, and 22 games since he was drafted. Misses too much. Riiiiiiiighttttt.
Will be back in a week or 2 and should play at least 16 for the season.

Dusty has improved his consistency a lot last year. Averaged 26 disposals and a goal on his way to 21 Brownlow votes. Gun.

Hardwick should put the onus on the players to come up with a game plan that they're confident with and give them the rest of the season to implement it..

Nonsense. What would we be paying Hardwick for?

Hardwick knows we need to change things up or get more of the same (i.e. finals defeats). Just doesn't know how to do it. The players don't appear to have confidence in the direction either.

I can stomach some bad defeats and he's contracted for three years so deserves a chance to make it work. But we will need to see progress. At the moment we're going backwards.

Ahhhh. Righto.
Rance, Reiwoldt, Martin, Deledio all top tier at the moment.
I'd agree. You've also got guys like Houli and Ellis who aren't superstars but do their part. But then you've got a fair list of mediocre players who are sort of an anchor on your stars. I think that's the problem with Richmond; star power does not run deep enough and that oddly hasn't changed in the last six years. Most teams rise and fall but Richmond has been oddly stagnant relative to the rest of the comp.

Hahaha righto. Rance is THE best defender in the league. He rarely loses a 1 on 1. And his dare and run out of defense is top tier as well.

Rewioldts a forward. Hes got to get given the ball to turn the game.
Kicked 3 goals in the last against the Pies to put us to a seemingly winning lead. The his teammates let him down.

Lol no. Deledio has played 18, 19, 23, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 19, 21, and 22 games since he was drafted. Misses too much. Riiiiiiiighttttt.
Will be back in a week or 2 and should play at least 16 for the season.

Dusty has improved his consistency a lot last year. Averaged 26 disposals and a goal on his way to 21 Brownlow votes. Gun.

Yes, and if we played four-a-side you might win occasionally.

Rance is the best defender. Jack is top 5 forwards. Deledio is top 3 forward mids. Dusty is harder to rate since there are so many mids, but 7th in the Brownlow shows something. 1 vote behind Danger.

Not sure Rance is the best defender but playing for the Tigers he gets plenty of work to do.

Jack again debatable top 5 but isn't far of is he isn't.

Deledio isn't and never has been top 3 in anything mate this is your bias talking.

Dusty isn't a pimple on Dangers a$$.

And then the problem is the rest of your team is average at best.

Richmond's finals record comes into question because they're supposedly top 4 chances. 'We beat Hawthorn and Sydney and Freo... next year we'll just not lose to Melbourne and Footscray'. Etc.

In the past 3 years they've won 15 games (5th), 12 games (8th) and 15 games (5th). That sort of H&A record shouldn't see a team go 0 for 3.

Not sure Rance is the best defender but playing for the Tigers he gets plenty of work to do.

Jack again debatable top 5 but isn't far of is he isn't.

Deledio isn't and never has been top 3 in anything mate this is your bias talking.

Dusty isn't a pimple on Dangers a$$.

And then the problem is the rest of your team is average at best.
Dude. Are you kidding. Rance is top. Hes beyond great.
Na, Jacks top 5. AA last year, 2nd most goals in the last 5 years.
Riggght. How did he get AA while missing 5 games then? Averaged 1.5 goals and 22 dispsoals.
He kicked 4 goals against the Hawks the week after the whole Carlton team kicked 4 goals against them.
Amazing, 1 less vote in the brownlow but Dusty isnt even close to him. Weird.

Yes but I am the bias one.

The one that really hurts them is Conca.

They need a brutish contested ball and tackling machine, who also has good skills and can take a mark, kjick a goal. Basically a top shelf inside mid. Cunnington/Cripps types come to mind.

To get one you usually have to spend a high pick, or get lucky with F/S. Conca was meant to be that high quality inside mid but hasn't come on.

They know this - it was savagely exposed in the Elim Final by Cunners/Ziebell/Swallow - but as someone said above, they thought they could just recruit big inside midfielders like Townsent and Moore and that would magically fix it.

The key is they need to be really good inside midfielders, with an elite trait (Cunnington creative handball vision, Cripps his ability to get his arms loose and handball and keep the play going) and a secondary really good trait (usually being able to snag a goal or two, be moved forward if required/change things up) to go with being top shelf at the inside mid basics.

Couldawouldshoulda on drafing and Conca has had inury issues, but that was a pick they needed to nail for that role and could really have made a difference.

Thing is coaches value those guys so highly they move heaven and earth to keep them, so they are rarely available for trade.

Free agency might help but its hard to think of someone coming up they could realistically get.

And those guys sometimes, not always, take a bit of time to transition to senior footy, usually about getting used to the pace of the game and putting on the size and fitness hey need at the highest level.

Dude. Are you kidding. Rance is top. Hes beyond great.
Na, Jacks top 5. AA last year, 2nd most goals in the last 5 years.
Riggght. How did he get AA while missing 5 games then? Averaged 1.5 goals and 22 dispsoals.
He kicked 4 goals against the Hawks the week after the whole Carlton team kicked 4 goals against them.
Amazing, 1 less vote in the brownlow but Dusty isnt even close to him. Weird.

Yes but I am the bias one.

Hahah mate I don't barrack for Richmond so relax.

If these 4 blokes are SOOOOOO good why do the Tigers constantly fail?

These blokes arnt kids they should be mature enough to carry the team if they are so good.

And using AA as a measure of who is hmgood and bad is moronic. The put the flavours of the year in and play blokes out of position to fit then in. How many Brownlow winners have not been in the AA the year they win?

And yes you are the biased one coz no one outside a tiger fan wild rate Deledio that high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back