Review Richmond Tigers Mid-season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Results have fallen our way this weekend. I sincerely hope we capitalise over the next 2 weeks against Sydney and the blues. We had a chance earlier this season and let slip against freo and GWS. These are the moments you have to take in a season if you want to get separation from the rest of the comp. there is not much between the teams this year, with a bit of luck and some consistency of performance we could very well consolidate a place in the to 4 over the next few rounds. I really
Hope we do it, but painful past experience is making me brace myself for the let down

In before we make finals and play Essendon.... and then...
200w.gif

Very happy to have gotten up over Melbourne and Norf this year.. Just need to get up over Geelong and we have beaten all three bogey teams in one season! Season thus far in terms of win/loss has exceeded my expectations so can't complain with that, but still think we have some holes to fill, in particular the tall forward/2nd ruck before we can threaten teams come finals - If we can do well at the trade/draft table this year I'm thinking 2018 could be a good year for the yellow and black... Most importantly though, I'm actually enjoying watching the tiges play this year - Very glad the 2016 crab-dancing game plan has been given the arse

I'm sooo boooored! I thought it was a good time for a break so we could all take a step back and a deep breath after those 11 rounds of mayhem but f***k that I need GAMEDAY!!!
Came on to post the same thing. I even went onto the main board, damn me. Maybe I should watch the 3rd quarter against norf again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond surprising experts in 2017 and showing they’re a legitimate finals contender
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
WHO picked Richmond to finish in the top eight before the start of the season?

Answer: 0 of 18 Herald Sun experts and 0 of 17 AFL captains excluding Tigers skipper Trent Cotchin.

NO DIESEL, HIRD: EXPERTS BEST VFL/AFL TEAM

TACKLE: ROBBO’S LIKES AND DISLIKES

SUPER LADDER: WHERE’S YOUR TEAM AT?

Even the most passionate of Richmond supporters — club games record holder Kevin Bartlett — picked the Tigers to finish 15th.

After winning just two of nine games to finish 2016 it was hard to argue otherwise back in March, all the signs pointing to yet another gloomy year for already long-suffering Richmond supporters.

But the Tigers have turned their game on its head and in turn proven the doubters wrong.

After 11 rounds, Richmond sits fourth on the ladder with a record of 7-4 — the club’s equal-best start to a season since it went 10-1 in 1995.

Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos is one who likes what he sees, saying the Tigers are playing finals-like football.

“This is a different Tigers team. I see a very, very competitive Tigers team week in and week out,” Roos said on Triple M last month.

“I see a team that plays finals football; they win the territory battle, get re-entries into the forward 50 and they have some really good crumbing forwards.”

58993de5b4e3ab5c114619627fff3b1e

The Tigers’ defensive pressure has been a feature in 2017. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Three of Richmond’s four losses to Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney have come by a combined 10 points.

But while frustrating for fans, coach Damien Hardwick has taken the glass half full approach that his side has been in winning positions in every match except for a 76-point loss to Adelaide in Round 6 and will only get better.

“Our best footy’s still in front of us,” Hardwick said after the Round 9 loss to GWS.

“We’ve got young, developing players who are going to get better as the year progresses.”

The injection of youth has been a key to the change of fortunes at Punt Rd.

Round 11 Rising Star nominee Dan Butler and fellow small forward Shai Bolton have made their debuts in a lively new-look forward line which also includes 20 year old’s Daniel Rioli and Jason Castagna, the four forming the “mosquito fleet” and applying significant pressure on opposition defences.

Midfield pair Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin are arguably in career-best form along with the ever-reliable Alex Rance in defence while the addition of ruckman Toby Nankervis has been monumental.

But Hardwick — who came under significant heat last year — and his new-look coaching panel also deserve significant credit for implementing a far more attacking game plan, moving away from the sideways-kicking possession game the Tigers were known for in 2016.

Richmond is averaging 89 points a game (up from 78 last year) as a result of an average inside-50 count that has climbed from 46 to 58.

What started as a season of little promise is quickly turning into one that could prove quite prosperous.

3f1833821209c5be9f9087ac38b4362d

Alex Rance is one of the AFL’s best, David Astbury is a big improver and Dan Butler is one of the mosquito fleet. Picture: Getty Images
ROBBO SAYS:
Time to stop doubting and start acknowledging. Before this week they were fourth with a 7-4 win-loss record and lost two of them on the button. Could be top. But they aren’t and that’s because they weren’t mature enough to close out games. Defensively they are a bomb and it’s the single reason underpinning their improvement this year. Helps having two of the best players in the comp, plus a revitalised Trent Cotchin. Forward pressure plus midfield working both ways is a tick and David Astbury at the back is vastly underrated. Like the Tigers and they will play finals. Then the pressure comes all over again because Hardwick needs a finals win more than any coach.

There was a tweet or something not too long ago? Sorry im not great with technology, but it was Dusty fist bumping or touching hands with two VERY excited little girl's after the game recently.
If anyone can point me towards it, I'd be super grateful. Cheers all, jonno

Came on to post the same thing. I even went onto the main board, damn me. Maybe I should watch the 3rd quarter against norf again...

Already watched it a dozen times and the last quarter against Melbourne and the Collingwood game. I've moved on to the early 80s on youtube now. How the f*** did we drop that one to Essendon in R2 1980?? That's gonna cost us :cool:

One for the VFL watchers, how far do you guys reckon Chol is from a promotion? If we want to be serious contenders this year I think we need a second talk to stand up from the ones we have in the seconds, and I have high hopes for Chol so would love to know how he's tracking.

One for the VFL watchers, how far do you guys reckon Chol is from a promotion? If we want to be serious contenders this year I think we need a second talk to stand up from the ones we have in the seconds, and I have high hopes for Chol so would love to know how he's tracking.

Lacking consistency, one week he might look ready for AFL but the next he may not look ready for VFL level. Needs to close the gap from his best to his worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lacking consistency, one week he might look ready for AFL but the next he may not look ready for VFL level. Needs to close the gap from his best to his worst.

Cheers, sounds like your stock standard stuff from a young KPP, I'm most excited to see in due time what he can produce at AFL level with his athleticism and freakish ability given his height and size. Do you reckon he could get a call up before the years finished? Surely we're over Elton for now and Griffiths is the longest of shots to play again this year.

Cheers, sounds like your stock standard stuff from a young KPP, I'm most excited to see in due time what he can produce at AFL level with his athleticism and freakish ability given his height and size. Do you reckon he could get a call up before the years finished? Surely we're over Elton for now and Griffiths is the longest of shots to play again this year.

Ummm all depends on his consistency. If he can string three-four good games together he will be awarded the opportunity.
Don't be surprised if we go in short again against Sydney while only dropping Lloyd for Lennon.
Who does give us a little bit more height and a genuine marking option.
Midfield delivery will be key.

Thanks for all the positive words regarding my review by the way guys. I've never really sat down and written a review like that about Richmond and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'm glad that you guys did too!

Thanks for all the positive words regarding my review by the way guys. I've never really sat down and written a review like that about Richmond and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'm glad that you guys did too!

unsure of subject matter, but welcome :)

interesting, what did everyone at the start of the year had us at. i reckon most experts had us bottom 4 or 5 so where we are now at top 4 is a massive surprise so to the teams credit i rate them an A based off that. I didnt know how we would go this season but i knew something would be different. Given the way this season is though all possibilities good and bad are still possible for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back