Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the story here?

Very roughly: it started when Footscray almost folded in 1989 (I think it was) and the Richmond, Collingwood and St Kilda cheer squads fronted up at the Western Oval to support Footscray in their fight to survive as an independent entity. A merger with Fitzroy had been on the cards and only the massive efforts of Footscray fans and the rest of the footy community prevented it. As a sad consequence, however, Fitzroy ended up going to the wall.

Anyway, the next year, when it was Richmond's turn to almost fold, the Footscray cheer squad fronted up en masse to support our fundraising efforts. They weren't the only ones, but they were probably the most invested given their own club had just barely survived. I still recall Footscray supporters, wearing their red, white, and blue, standing side by side with Richmond supporters rattling cans to raise funds to clear Richmond's debt.

They were hard times, but we got a lot of support from some good people. Footscray people were some of the best.

Ahhhhhh so Kochie caught on to our devillish GF day plan - subliminal tunes ;)

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch hits out at Richmond Grand Final advantage

"Port Adelaide chairman Koch, who attended the AFL grand final with rival Crows chairman Rob Chapman, said he heard the MCG scoreboard and sound system play the tiger roar, which has been used toe celebrate Richmond goals during home matches at the home of football this season. "

"Koch told FIVEaa Radio on Tuesday morning he is concerned by the advantages given to Melbourne-based clubs after busting the MCG scoreboard breaking neutrality in the grand final. "

We don't need any trades - just more boomboxes :D
It's not like the Crows power stance didn't give them a massive leg up in our GF but we still beat them.

Very roughly: it started when Footscray almost folded in 1989 (I think it was) and the Richmond, Collingwood and St Kilda cheer squads fronted up at the Western Oval to support Footscray in their fight to survive as an independent entity. A merger with Fitzroy had been on the cards and only the massive efforts of Footscray fans and the rest of the footy community prevented it. As a sad consequence, however, Fitzroy ended up going to the wall.

Anyway, the next year, when it was Richmond's turn to almost fold, the Footscray cheer squad fronted up en masse to support our fundraising efforts. They weren't the only ones, but they were probably the most invested given their own club had just barely survived. I still recall Footscray supporters, wearing their red, white, and blue, standing side by side with Richmond supporters rattling cans to raise funds to clear Richmond's debt.

They were hard times, but we got a lot of support from some good people. Footscray people were some of the best.
I gave more $$$ to the Footscray fight than I gave to SOS.

Don't feel a lot of joy for Lynch , Prestia and Caddy.
Rewarded for a lack of loyalty, you'd rather it went the other way, to be honest.

So if Collingwood ever win a gf with the current list you wouldn't be happy for Trelol, Adams, Beams, Roughead, Crisp etc etc etc??
Such a salty comment, and not at all well thought out.

"Port Adelaide chairman Koch, who attended the AFL grand final with rival Crows chairman Rob Chapman, said he heard the MCG scoreboard and sound system play the tiger roar, which has been used toe celebrate Richmond goals during home matches at the home of football this season. "

"Koch told FIVEaa Radio on Tuesday morning he is concerned by the advantages given to Melbourne-based clubs after busting the MCG scoreboard breaking neutrality in the grand final. "

Lol, the Richmond Roar from the crowd drowned out anything else after each goal... honestly didn't even know it was shown!!

Last edited:
Lol, the Richmond Roar from the crown drowned out anything else after each goal... honestly didn't even know it was shown!!
I thought 2017 was a bad enough melt from sections of the media and oppo supporters, but this year takes the cake.

The Giants could have had the scoreboard play something after they scored a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he did...he changed in on the Saturday on the fox lead up show.
Incorrect. Just wrong mate, seriously. I wanted to check 100% before I went again, so I did.

Just watched the tape back on Kayo.

Gerard points at Dunstall and says you're Tigers. Points at Dermie and says you're flip of the coin.

Dermie stutters and says I could go extra time, I'll go Giants by 1,2,3 points.

blaisee

Richmond only won the Grand Final because they used the ol' Hermon Wizzers "Endurance Tablets".
The oldest trick in the book, & they thought they would get away with it- but the secret is out now!

Giants fans at the 'G should have hauled your Tiggie players off the field for their cheating, like the ol' days.

Lowdown Richmond mongrels!

There wasn’t a large enough sample of Giants goals on Saturday for me to determine if they had any form of audio celebration via the scoreboard, but I’m pretty sure I remember the Crows had a swooping sound after each goal in 2017. Is this seriously an issue?

So happy we won but i feel for gws as your day will come. Be proud gws of who you are and go again next year.

Kochie really is onto something ........ on the three magnificent occasions that GWS did kick a major, a rendition of the Benny Hill theme should of been played to amuse those impartial observers at the ground and at home.

Thanks for advising the AFL to lift its game next year ....... can’t wait to be amused!!

Collingwood might have beaten Richmond in the grand final just like last year, but clearly Richmond have been the best team in the last 3 years.

No team in the country would of beaten Richmond last weekend. You couldn’t even beat GWS in Melbourne.

If and when GCS win a flag, do the concessions get brought up? Likewise all clubs given a leg-up be it draft concessions, draw, cash etc

The comp is compromised in a myriad of ways, from the draw and venues, from the finances and administration, from the coaches and development etc

After holding the cup on Sunday, I did not see caveats, clauses, exceptions, conditions ....... all I saw was AFL Premiers 2019 RICHMOND!!

We were pretty confident ahead of the 2017 GF too. We know how that turned out...

Geelong would have knocked you off if they'd kicked straight in the second term. They should have been 8 goals up at the main break.
Sorry for the late reply, but while yes the ball was in their forward line a while and they did kick some points, it's not a given that if you kick a goal that after the next ball up that the ball will automatically just appear inside 50 again for another shot at goal. The ball is back in the middle and with the 666 rule it could just as easily go the other way for a quick reply.

Back