Preview Richmond Tigers vs. Greater Western Sydney Giants - 4:45pm @ The MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
richmond gws.jpg

So, here we are, where no one thought we would be, no matter how optimistic the supporter or Tiger Tragic, nobody expected the Richmond Football Club to be in a Preliminary Final and be favourites to make its first Grand Final since 1982. Yes, that's right everyone, we are favourites to make the Grand Final. Just let that sink in...

I thought to myself, what do I want this preview to be? Do I want to be as impartial as possible, as many of the other great preview threads that preceded this one have been, or do I want to rile up the army and really bring to the forefront, the feeling of excitement and anticipation for the most important game in our recent history? The decision was easy in the end... Measured and impartial it is! ;)

We will walk onto the hallowed turf of the Melbourne Cricket Ground against the "super team" created by the AFL, flooded with number one picks and insurmountable talent. Normally this would be an imposing test against this group of individuals, but this is the exact aspect of this game that will work in our favour. That is exactly what Greater Western Sydney are, a group of highly skilled individuals.
The Richmond Football Club is a team. A team built on a high-pressure game style that requires full buy-in from every member of the playing group.
We may not be the most gifted playing group, but what this group does have is heart, togetherness and momentum. In finals, this is just as, if not, more important than great skills.

Richmond has an ace up their sleeve though, and its nothing to do with the team, or tactics, it's us, the Tiger Army. If we roll up in strong numbers again, like we did against Geelong and get 90,000+ at the MCG it will go a long way to getting our boys the win.
A lot of us witnessed first hand the sheer aggression and volume of the roar during the Qualifying Final and although Geelong fans didn't show up in great numbers, undoubtedly the GWS fans will show up with less. There's every chance there will be more people in the MCC line again then there will be Giants fans. This translates to a cauldron-like atmosphere that will be extremely intimidating for any club, let alone an expansion club with a fan base still in its infancy.

IMG_1437.JPG

HISTORY... What history?
To be honest, it's not even worth mentioning in the most part. However, I do think the recent history is relevant.
Earlier on in the season, during our run of close losses, we suffered arguably the most heart-wrenching of losses against the Giants. Fresh off after losing to Fremantle to another David Mundy kick after the siren, we were dealt another cruel blow with Bolton's goal being disallowed due to a contentious touched decision being made by the video umpire. To the Giants credit, they were able to finish us off when we couldn't finish our work early in the last quarter.
The reverse fixture at the MCG also saw the results reversed as well. Intermittent weather for the majority of the game could be an argument for the Giants, but the prevailing view was that we were much harder at the contest and dealt with the conditions a lot better than what the Giants did.
This time around, the early forecast is looking like a perfect day for footy, low 20's and clear skies.

KEY PLAYERS
dust.jpg

Dustin Martin - Undoubtedly a lot of time will be put into Dusty and how to limit his influence on the game. He has proven to be untaggable and the contract talk all season has not affected his form in the slightest. It will be interesting to see who Leon Cameron sends to him, could they go with a negating player in the shape of Matt DeBoer or go the more aggressive head to head way of thinking with Stephen Coniglio? One to keep an eye out for.

cotch.jpg

Trent Cotchin - Played his most influential game as captain of this great club against Geelong. He played with aggression, grit and determination. He was a bit of a barometer, he set the standard with some early bone-crunching tackles and his teammates quickly followed suit. I don't see Leon Cameron sending someone to tag him, in general, there won't be much tagging going on in this game. I see this being very much being a captain v. captain battle and Ward can be very damaging and inspirational on his day. Will be an enthralling contest, that's for sure.

Josh Kelly.jpg

Josh Kelly - This bloke goes alright, which I'm sure many of you are aware. Will be one of the most damaging players the AFL will see in coming years. We need to pay him the respect he deserves, which makes me think we should play Prestia on him at the start to see if Prestia can hurt him offensively. Prestia has a good mix of inside and outside play, much like Kelly, but as Dion continues to build into this lineup, the more effective he becomes.

toby greene.jpg

Toby Greene - Gun. An absolute freak, he may be a massive campaigner, but his quality cannot be denied. He has the elusiveness and the speed of a small forward, the endurance of a midfielder and the goal scoring power of a key forward. One of the most complete players in the game.
The obvious choice to go to Greene would be Dylan Grimes, who is clearly one of the most underrated defenders in the game at present. Has the speed to go with him, has the agility and athleticism to combat him at ground level and also in the air. Will be a big game for Dylan, but he is a proven performer and I am confident he can nullify Greene's output.

Honourable mentions need to go to Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt, our small forwards, Steve Johnson, Phil Davis plus many others. Naturally, when you get to a Preliminary Final, there is quality on every line and intriguing potential matchups all over the ground. I wish I could mention them all.

ONES TO WATCH
IMG_1434.JPG
Josh Caddy -
Has really been hitting his straps as of late, even before his hamstring injury he was showing the Tiger faithful how important he was to our makeup, and his efforts against Geelong did not go unnoticed, one of his best games for the club. Has been wayward in front of goals, but if he cleans up that area of his game, he could turn out to be a real game breaker.

Deledio.jpg
Brett Deledio - This fine specimen of manliness is coming back to his former home. Will be playing his 250th game against the club where he played 240 odd of those games. Knowing Deledio and what he is like, he will either thrive in this environment or go missing. Has been battling calf issues and achilles issues for the best part of two years but is starting to find some form as of late and as everyone here knows quite well, he has the ability to turn a game on its head from anywhere on the ground.
Personally, I won't be booing him, because of how much he gave to this club. Since he has come to GWS he hasn't really acted like a former Richmond player though and I wouldn't be surprised if I was one of the very few not booing him.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Cases can be made for either side in this one. When GWS play their best footy, they are comfortably the best in the league, no one can really disagree with that. They do have some key outs though in Jeremy Cameron and Shane Mumford, but they almost look better when they play with a smaller forward line.
Richmond has surprised everyone this year and they have been playing some great high-pressure footy, which, if played to the required level, will make it very hard for GWS to get any free-flowing football which they seem to rely on. The equation is simple really, bring the pressure and it makes it very hard to see anything other than a Tiger victory and a subsequent Grand Final berth.

PREDICTION
Richmond to win by 30 and to make the Grand Final and face the Adelaide Crows.

Nice write up.

I'm nervous, but nowhere near as nervous as I thought I would be.

West Coast made GWS look far better than they are.

Stevie J with like 5 junk time goals, he looks knackered, like a pig on its last legs.

Lids is still silky with the footy, but he couldn't run to save his life.

Jeremy Cameron out.

Mumford out.

If we don't win, heads will roll.

I am going with Richmond by 16 points. Richmond have been playing at the MCG in front of a 65K+ crowd since the St Kilda game in Round 23, making them accustomed to the atmosphere and venue whether dry (St Kilda's match) or wet (Geelong's match). What I noticed today is that GWS are really good when they are given the space and time to hit up targets like they were tonight. Richmond's high pressure style at the MCG though markedly reduces their ability to play that way.

If we bring the same intensity and pressure as we did against Geelong then we should win.
GWS shat the bed against Adelaide and Geelong a few weeks ago when they had pressure applied, however their smaller lineup with help them greatly.
Our 19th man will be massive too, don't know what the largest crowd the Giants have played in front of but I imagine it is no where near what we will get Saturday.

Time to go through the matchups

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
F: Greene Patton Johnson

HB: Ellis Rance Houli
HF: De Boer Himmelberg Hopper

C: Lambert Prestia Grigg
C: Shiel Kelly Scully

HF: Caddy Townsend Edwards
HB: Shaw Davis Whitfield

F: Butler Riewoldt Rioli
B: Haynes Corr Williams

Foll: Nankervis Cotchin Martin
Foll: Lobb Coniglio Ward

Int: Broad Graham Castagna McIntosh
Int: Tomlinson Taranto Wilson Deledio

Key matchups will be:

Grimes and Greene
Grigg and Scully
Prestia and Kelly
Townsend and Davis

I think we match up on them well.

Although having 1 less tall helps them a bit.

Last night's game against the eagles was virtually a glorified training run. The eagles were cooked unfortunately for most of the game.

But in the first 10 minutes when they were feeling fresh, they applied enough pressure to cause panic and turn overs for GWS

Our pressure will be a lot more relentless than that, and if we can do it for 4 quarters there is no reason why we can't win.

Need to get under Greene's skin early and make him accountable.

Tiger army needs to be out in full voice again!

Crowd could be a big factor.

GWS are obviously supremely talented, and could well come out and completely outplay us. If they do that, hats off to them.

Talented yes, but also a bit vulnerable and delicate I think. They have so much polish, that they lack a bit of grit and resilience, if we get them on the ropes I am confident we can keep them there.

Most of their team won't have played in front of 90k before, far from it, and certainly not when 80+ are Tiger supporters. If it's the same kind of crowd I think it will be, could definitely rattle them, look what it did to the Geelong fans last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly if you boo Lids you're a campaigner.
Played years and years of great footy for us when we were s**t, as one of our only shinning lights for many years.
Then left the club at the perfect time when it looked like he wouldn't make it to our next flag tilt (even though we unexpectengly are this year) and got us a first rounder for him even though hes cooked.

Go Tiges but thank you Lids.

Biggest crowd they've ever played in front of was 60,222 in last year's QF against the Swans at ANZ Stadium. Next biggest was this year's QF in Adelaide with 52k. Only two matches played in front of 50k+ in their 6 year history.
I'm gonna guess they weren't booed when they run out for either of those. And the opposition crowd would be nothing like the Tiges crowd of last week.

Honestly if you boo Lids you're a campaigner.
Played years and years of great footy for us when we were s**t, as one of our only shinning lights for many years.
Then left the club at the perfect time when it looked like he wouldn't make it to our next flag tilt (even though we unexpectengly are this year) and got us a first rounder for him even though hes cooked.

Go Tiges but thank you Lids.
lids is going to get booed whether u like it or not bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back