Richmond - time for a rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
The Tigers won 3 flags in 4 years from 2017-2020 and missed finals in 2021 as well as narrowly losing an EF by under a kick in 2022. In the offseason Richmond landed Taranto and Hopper thinking they'll win the flag and remain contenders.

Now they're 16th after a loss to Gold Coast

With stars like Dusty, Riewoldt and co not getting any younger and over 30s, should Richmond rebuild?

what would make this hard from a Tigers perspective is that they aren’t producing the sort of uncompetitive football that you get accustomed to seeing from teams ready to rebuild: they’ve competed in basically every game they’ve played to at least some extent so an optimistic coach would look at it and say that they only need a few tweaks and things can be on the up again.

They really haven’t been THAT bad though I didn’t watch today

We've been rebuilding on the run for the last 3 or 4 years. This last off season was the first time we have traded first round draft picks for years.
Taranto and Hopper aren't the issues currently. They're playing pretty well. I think the drain on IP and the quality of coaches which we have lost in the last 4 years is a massive issue for us.
The positive in the mess of season 2023 is we are getting games into the kids like Ryan, Miller, MRJ etc etc. An injury and suspension list of 14 players hasn't helped the cause. But that's no excuse for today. Today was shizer.

4th oldest list in the league without any stand out young talent aside from Bolton. Don't own their first rounder this year so rebuilding is going to be a painful few years away

Their midfield is one dimensional. God help them when Prestia returns.
Hopper, Taranto, Ross, McIntosh . . . there is no polish or finesse in there.
Add in cooked blokes like Martin, Cotchin & Pickett, tough times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The introduction of Tasmania into the AFL could come at a bad time for Richmond in terms of a rebuild. I think they've got 2 - 3 years of being a competitive mid range team before they bottom out and have to rebuild in several heavily compromised drafts.

have some good young pieces. should come right in 3-4 years. more interesting thing is i think dimma has stated he has no intention of hanging around for a rebuild. wonder if he goes to another team at the end of this year.
Freo should move heaven and earth to get him

They got West Coast at the G next week. Just what the doctor ordered, if you ask me
At best paper over the cracks and buys Dimma more time and less heat. Not what we need right now. Sadly we need a coach killer loss and a new voice.

IMO that's more important in our situation than the players on the list.

I'd like to see what a new voice, plan and some fresh enthusiasm around the place could get out of the crop of decent and upcoming players we have.

There’s a few I’d keep - Grimes, Martin, Nank - but Cotchin shouldn’t play another game. He’s not up to it.

Riewoldt gets to play out the year because his presence helps.

Cotchin is just in the ******* way

Hasn't Dimma said he'll step away when the Tiges are no longer in contention?

You might not need to sack him, he might walk away of his own accord.
He's said that. But that relies on him not being stubborn and actually reading the signs. We aren't winning with him and his approach again.

It's clear there's a need for change. There's no shame in that, Sheedy, Matthews, Clarkson, it happens to all successful coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back