News Richmond to officially join AFLW in 2020

I thought the afl already said we had a license, or was that unofficially? I think we might surprise when we start in the AFLW :)

I thought the afl already said we had a license, or was that unofficially? I think we might surprise when we start in the AFLW :)

i think it was strongly hinted at but nothing was official until now :)

not even a real comp, 4 week exhibition, waste of time and money

can we sack kate sheehan now? another waste of time and money
I'm keen to hear your reasoning on why you think it's a waste of time and money.

I think there are things they could definitely do better in regards to the competition, but I'm not sure that providing an elite pathway for girls and young women is a waste of time and money?

Boys working hard to bring Tayla home.

upload_2018-12-20_8-43-27.png

upload_2018-12-20_8-47-31.png

upload_2018-12-20_8-45-59.png

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Don't know what is so special about AFLW, VFLW goes longer and we already have a team. Can almost lock in a bottom placed finish IMO, talent is already at other clubs and if the 2019 AFLW comp worsens in standard because of the extra two teams then 2020 will worsen even further with more teams added, it is going to take at least 10-15 years for enough talent to grow for the AFLW to even get half watchable.

We should have been in earlier.

The AFL is trying hard to screw the AFLW up, but hopefully they'll turn it into a genuine proper competition.

Anyway, we should do well. Really laying the groundwork. The RFC cannot help that the AFL are idiots. They end up with a pot of gold, and the pot is made of platinum and studded with diamonds. And so they try to use it for cooking shoestring fries. {Appalling analogy, but you get the picture}

Over time the girls will become a well supported high quality competition. And we'll win a few of them.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have absolutely zero interest in AFLW regardless if Richmond is involved or not.

Yet in this crazy PC world that is for some reason taboo to say publicly. Sad.

Not really. 2 people have already said it in this thread alone and it's 16 posts long lol

If you're not interested in it you're not interested in it. Simples.

Obviously the football will be approximately U14 boys standard (Which seems to be a trend across other sports like soccer etc) so pretty terrible to watch... the fact that it's the Richmond football club and the girls are playing against the scum/filth etc means that I will at least have a bit of interest in it.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really. 2 people have already said it in this thread alone and it's 16 posts long lol

Obviously the football will be approximately U14 boys standard (Which seems to be a trend across other sports like soccer etc) so pretty terrible to watch... the fact that it's the Richmond football club and the girls are playing against the scum/filth etc means that I will at least have a bit of interest in it.
True, but I consider BigFooty a world of it's own free from SJW's :)

Your comment re U14 boys is absolutely spot on. I remember the Newcastle Jets U15's beat the Matilda's 7-0 who are one of the best in the world... women's sport is just a poor standard despite what the propaganda will tell you.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Your comment re U14 boys is absolutely spot on. I remember the Newcastle Jets U15's beat the Matilda's 7-0 who are one of the best in the world... women's sport is just a poor standard despite what the propaganda will tell you.

Haha agree.

parmy2balmey

stay moderated
Sep 15, 2016
under the bain marie
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm keen to hear your reasoning on why you think it's a waste of time and money.

I think there are things they could definitely do better in regards to the competition, but I'm not sure that providing an elite pathway for girls and young women is a waste of time and money?

it’s not a pathway, it’s the end of a pathway, and it’s anything but elite, it’s a 4 week Mickey Mouse marketing exhibition for boxers, netballers, basketballers, pole vaulters, unicyclists, and ping pong players to cash in on in their off seasons, and the standard is appalling.

vflw is worthwhile because it’s a proper comp, a girl tac comp is worthwhile, grassroots, that’s the pathway worth investing in. aflw as it currently stands is the crock of s**t at the end of the road and a waste of money until it is a proper comp. richmond should sit back and wait until that happens, and concentrate on the three sides we have in legitimate premiership competitions, imo

let the minnows have their spotlight and count their premierships in 6 team comps played over a month

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

Agreed that it is a poor standard initially...
But they are coming from a long ways back compared to the men an boys...
With the right amount of media exposure, money, sponsorship, support it will grow in quality not to men's standard but enough to provide entertainment...like the women's golf/tennis/netball....
Their are a lot of fathers out there that have daughters and would like to see them excell...
It's a changing world/dynamic whether we like it or not...
Personally I follow the colours...

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't know what is so special about AFLW, VFLW goes longer and we already have a team. Can almost lock in a bottom placed finish IMO, talent is already at other clubs and if the 2019 AFLW comp worsens in standard because of the extra two teams then 2020 will worsen even further with more teams added, it is going to take at least 10-15 years for enough talent to grow for the AFLW to even get half watchable.

I used to think so but the talent is so raw I think that getting girls off the street aren’t that far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond

I think that’s bullshit. I don’t care about it and had hoped we wouldn’t get involved but meh, no one cares if I don’t like it. What most people get annoyed with is people who don’t like it but keep talking about it and bagging it out, that shows the person cares and is offended by something far beyond merely having an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have absolutely zero interest in AFLW regardless if Richmond is involved or not.

Yet in this crazy PC world that is for some reason taboo to say publicly. Sad.

Do you mean PC:
  1. try not to insult people, or
  2. people get upset when I trash talk their existence and it's so unfair that I can't abuse them for being female/coloured/religious/atheist/have different tastes/Carlton supporters (OK trash talking them is fine by me)
I'd say that just about everyone (not everyone, but vastly most people) wouldn't be upset by you saying you're not interested in AFLW just because it doesn't interest you (1 above). Plenty would get upset if you said you're not interested because it's women and so unworthy (2 above).

I despise AFLX, is that something I can't say?

Some people are petals that only want the world their way (see current president of the USA) and they see PC as 2. But I'd say most people are 1.

Anyway. I enjoy AFLW because they go in hard and contest no stop. I hate AFLX for exactly the same reason - they don't go in hard and there are hardly any contests.

it’s not a pathway, it’s the end of a pathway, and it’s anything but elite, it’s a 4 week Mickey Mouse marketing exhibition for boxers, netballers, basketballers, pole vaulters, unicyclists, and ping pong players to cash in on in their off seasons, and the standard is appalling.

vflw is worthwhile because it’s a proper comp, a girl tac comp is worthwhile, grassroots, that’s the pathway worth investing in. aflw as it currently stands is the crock of s**t at the end of the road and a waste of money until it is a proper comp. richmond should sit back and wait until that happens, and concentrate on the three sides we have in legitimate premiership competitions, imo

let the minnows have their spotlight and count their premierships in 6 team comps played over a month

Are you saying that the AFL has screwed up a potentially great competition by being arrogant F*%^wits with their heads stuck up a dark moist place? A 4 week comp isn't a genuine comp. Idiots that accidentally created a huge success and don't know what to do with it.

Back