News Richmond to officially join AFLW in 2020

Agreed that it is a poor standard initially...
But they are coming from a long ways back compared to the men an boys...
With the right amount of media exposure, money, sponsorship, support it will grow in quality not to men's standard but enough to provide entertainment...like the women's golf/tennis/netball....
Their are a lot of fathers out there that have daughters and would like to see them excell...
It's a changing world/dynamic whether we like it or not...
Personally I follow the colours...

Additionally, identifying elite talent at a junior age and exposing these girls to AFL standard training methods and diet etc is making a world of difference to the talent entering the system. It's a gradual process though. Much like when the AFL introduced TAC U18.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Additionally, identifying elite talent at a junior age and exposing these girls to AFL standard training methods and diet etc is making a world of difference to the talent entering the system. It's a gradual process though. Much like when the AFL introduced TAC U18.
Women/girls don't go to sleep and wake up ready to perform AFL footballers...
Takes time, resources and development to get anywhere near a reasonable standard of athleticism...
Niave to say the least if you look at an ordinary woman on the street and assume that's the level of athleticism they are going to reach...
They are not providing entertainment comparable to a men's standard, they are playing for themselves and good luck to them!

parmy2balmey

stay moderated
Sep 15, 2016
under the bain marie
AFL Club
Richmond
Are you saying that the AFL has screwed up a potentially great competition by being arrogant F*%^wits with their heads stuck up a dark moist place? A 4 week comp isn't a genuine comp. Idiots that accidentally created a huge success and don't know what to do with it.

the afl had to start somewhere and it will be s**t for a fair while. of course the afl have stalled the engine because they are incompetent, that was to be expected. it will come good but RFC has no need to prop up or invest in it until it is actually the elite level, which it isn’t

that’s right, and our vflw players get that exposure to afl training plus a proper season. no need for aflw right now unless you want to pour richmond’s money down the drain

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Where are we going to play our home matches?
The first couple of matches, even if we don't do well, will certainly past the 6,000 OHS capacity at Punt Road Oval. (We got about 11K at the Grand Final training session put probably not the most safe to do that for a whole match).

Remember Giants and Gold Coasts first year??
Unfortunately that's what will happen with Richmond.
Won't be pretty.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
We have our strongest AFL team in roughly four decades.
We probably have another 5 or more years to create a dynasty of success.
The club should not divert or allocate resources to AFLW at this crucial time.
If RFC receives extra AFL funding for AFLW development, that is fine and should be kept separate.
No one that I know of watches AFLW.
Women enjoy playing community football, that is great, that is a separate matter.

Last edited:

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
If RFC receives extra AFL funding for AFLW development, that is fine and should be kept separate.
Women enjoy playing community football, that is great, that is a separate matter.

I can see why you might think like that but I don't think it will detract from the mens. It's going to be another tick for us. A bit like Google snapping up the likes of YouTube. Whilst we are humming along nicely, record membership and profit we may as well expand into other areas such as Sports Complexes and wAFL. It'll all work out for us (the biggest club in the AFL)

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
When you think about it, Punt Road Oval is bursting at the seams.
They should play AFLW at a community suburban oval.

They need to change the format. It’s unacceptable to have such low scoring games.

That aside it’s a good idea to have a comp for women who love and want to play the game. It’s early days for FFS.
Plus the afl needs to make up its mind whether it wants to have a woman’s Comp or not. Can’t go half arsed into starting a pro comp

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
In case you haven't noticed, the board of directors are swimming in money at the moment. Plus the AFL will probably pay the players' wages for us, and AFLW could potentially be a major income source for us down the track. If you don't care about the results of the women's team, think of it as being similar to our aligned leisure set up - at the moment that's resources being directed away from the AFL team too.

Say what you want about AFLW,
But it's better than AFLX.

Can I like this 10X?

When I cannot even watch the mighty tigers win a game because is sh#ts me so much, it's a pretty poor version of the game.

I see the opposite. It costs us peanuts and builds for the future. The extra cost is small, and the AFL is shelling in $ (whilst completely mismanaging the whole competition). It helps to create a bigger fan base in the lin term. And increases our chances of winning a premiership. :p

Of course my main team will be the men's. So what?? I love footy and the RFC, and I adore strong competent women. AFLW ticks all my boxes. (Just got to get the wife to care about footy :()

Remember Giants and Gold Coasts first year??
Unfortunately that's what will happen with Richmond.
Won't be pretty.

That wont happen.

GWS and GC didn't have the benefit of having every single AFL player out of contract at seasons end like AFLW has.

That's just a very narrow view IMO.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I would say just put the AFLW team on hold.
It is overkill with the Houli academy opening soon too, alongside the indigenous academy, all in 12 months.
Nothing wrong with playing AFLW at a suburban oval with separate facilities.
No one I knows watches AFLW, women included.
Women can enjoy playing footy but it should not be associated with the Richmond team, it is only my opinion.

Last edited:

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Personally, I agree with the AFL administration.
They shortened the AFLW competition to seven rounds, starting in early February and ending in mid-March, and it does not clash with the AFL season.

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
You should have a look at how little the people involved in AFLW get paid (rightly or wrongly). I think your way of thinking is similar to that of "we should forget about media and focus on the game" in that it has no real basis and does not correlate with results.

In fact, I'd say it's the perfect time to get in and shore up a generation of young female fans, and when we have cash to invest we should do so.

I will watch every Richmond AFLW game and I think you will be surprised at how it successful it will be at engaging our fans.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
im happy we have a team. first and foremst.

i get the concerns about AFLW skills, format etc etc. And i generally agree. Its difficult to be engaged with.

Hopefully things change and evolve for the better.

I would say just put the AFLW team on hold.
It is overkill with the Houli academy opening soon too, alongside the indigenous academy, all in 12 months.
Nothing wrong with playing AFLW at a suburban oval with separate facilities.
No one I knows watches AFLW, women included.
Women can enjoy playing footy but it should not be associated with the Richmond team, it is only my opinion.

It's not like this is all just happening overnight

There has been years of planning and work put into it so it's not going to clash or overload the club at all.

I think it's great we can have an official womens team linked to the club.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I don't want to carry on but the other issue is potential degradation of the training surface at PRO due to overuse.
Carlton has an AFLW team and Ikon Park is used as an AFLW venue.
Carlton should look into the condition of the Ikon Park surface, given a number of key players have suffered major injuries at pre-season training.
We want the very best training surface and conditions at PRO for our AFL team.
I've said all along the women's team can train at suburban facilities.

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't want to carry on but the other issue is potential degradation of the training surface at PRO due to overuse.
Carlton has an AFLW team and Ikon Park is used as an AFLW venue.
Carlton should look into the condition of the Ikon Park surface, given a number of key players have suffered major injuries at pre-season training.
Or, Carlton's strength, conditioning and injury management personell are just as s**t as their recruitment staff.

Back