News Richmond to officially join AFLW in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Now McGovern is injured in training at Ikon.
I really don’t think a couple of extra training sessions and games are going to significantly affect the surface at PRO - that’s literally all we’re talking about. I’d say if there’s problems at Carlton it’s related to the fact it’s a shitty stadium more than anything else.

Now McGovern is injured in training at Ikon.

You’re right. If they had installed the jumping castle turf instead of grass turf he might not have fractured his back going backwards with the flight of the ball.

I think it’s interesting that people just expect it to be AFL with female genetics overnight.

Arguments about scoring, entertainment, blah and blah etc are pretty silly when you consider the roots of AFL football. Early AFL games/VFL games had plenty of horrific score lines and terrible displays of skill.

The sport started as something for the men to do in between cricket seasons didn’t it? Sports are a great opportunity for inclusivity and community activity. Sure the AFLW competition and the administration itself has been far from perfect but they’ve just leap frogged some of the “underground” stages of the game and leveraged some of the brand and media power to help get people involved. And if you look at the stats or get involved and see the people showing up I’d say it’s working so far.

The glory of 2018 is we have the ability to tune into what we want. Don’t want to read about it - scroll past. Don’t want to watch it? Don’t watch it. Don’t think it’s a good use of club resources and think the people running our football club are killing Richmond? Have constructive conversation and get involved and try and convince the admin team that it’s a dumb idea.

ITT: Old people mad that the world is changing.
old.jpg

At the very least, think of it this way... By throwing our hat in the ring with this comp, regardless of whether you think it's a waste of time. It's another avenue to gain more fans and more revenue for the club, and in some time it'll be something to actually give a s**t about. It's just more footy! Do we not want more tiggies action over the break? I do

ITT: Old people mad that the world is changing.
old.jpg

At the very least, think of it this way... By throwing our hat in the ring with this comp, regardless of whether you think it's a waste of time. It's another avenue to gain more fans and more revenue for the club, and in some time it'll be something to actually give a s**t about. It's just more footy! Do we not want more tiggies action over the break? I do

Further to this. The competition for attention is only increasing. Whether people like it or not, having womens AFL brings more people to the game as a whole. We'd be insane not to have an AFLw team when most of the other clubs do as we risk young girls/familys choosing other football clubs ahead of us. Higher membership/attendance = more money for the club.

Punt Road Oval was established in the late 19th century.
We have the AFL team, the VFL team, the indigenous academy, the Houli academy soon.
Surely the women's teams, AFLW and VFLW, can train and play at a suburban venue.
There are hundreds to choose from, with excellent facilities.
I visited the Junction Oval recently and the facilities are superb.
The heritage stands are preserved, the new pavilion is excellent, the outer is well designed.
Punt Road Oval is constricted by Hoddle Street, which will be expanded, and Brunton Avenue.
I am in my 40s.
If you think I am old you need either remedial classes or to see a psychiatrist.

Junction Oval is a state of the art redevelopment, the two heritage stands are refurbished too.
The state government funded it all, costing $40 million.
Richmond has not received a dime from the government, they went cap in hand to Canberra too, they did not provide support either.

Last edited:
I can remember when Collingwood and Carlton both fielded teams in the state soccer league. Total cluster *. I don't really mind if we field a women's team but we need a pre-established exit strategy in case it starts hemorrhaging money. If AFLW is not core business then we need to look at it as philanthropy. There's only so much money you can throw at feeling better about yourself.

Or am I wrong and AFLW is core business?

I can remember when Collingwood and Carlton both fielded teams in the state soccer league. Total cluster ****. I don't really mind if we field a women's team but we need a pre-established exit strategy in case it starts hemorrhaging money. If AFLW is not core business then we need to look at it as philanthropy. There's only so much money you can throw at feeling better about yourself.

Na you're spot on imo. Just a total waste of money just to look PC.

Not a fan of AFLW so wont be watching but for those that want a team they now have one.

I hope this part of the business is self sustainable and doesnt leach money from the AFL team. That's my only concern.
How do you think they can afford to do it? Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Punt Road Oval was established in the late 19th century.
We have the AFL team, the VFL team, the indigenous academy, the Houli academy soon.
Surely the women's teams, AFLW and VFLW, can train and play at a suburban venue.
There are hundreds to choose from, with excellent facilities.
I visited the Junction Oval recently and the facilities are superb.
The heritage stands are preserved, the new pavilion is excellent, the outer is well designed.
Punt Road Oval is constricted by Hoddle Street, which will be expanded, and Brunton Avenue.
I am in my 40s.
If you think I am old you need either remedial classes or to see a psychiatrist.

1) what suburban oval isn't being used that can be taken over 100% by RFC?

2) when you start splitting up the club you end up duplicating coaching, training, and medical resources.

Junction Oval is a state of the art redevelopment, the two heritage stands are refurbished too.
Richmond has not received a dime from the government, they went cap in hand to Canberra too, they did not provide support either.

3) We got a shitoad of federal coin for the last redevelopment.

1) what suburban oval isn't being used that can be taken over 100% by RFC?

2) when you start splitting up the club you end up duplicating coaching, training, and medical resources.

3) We got a shitoad of federal coin for the last redevelopment.

how much coin? The whole area needs to be redeveloped starting with richmond station which is an embarrassment and lost in 1950. 30 mill and I would get the job done, and develop a nice punt rd grandstand.

I can remember when Collingwood and Carlton both fielded teams in the state soccer league. Total cluster ****. I don't really mind if we field a women's team but we need a pre-established exit strategy in case it starts hemorrhaging money. If AFLW is not core business then we need to look at it as philanthropy. There's only so much money you can throw at feeling better about yourself.

Seeing as though it’s Australian rules football , yes it is core as the other examples you gave were rival codes. Interestingly our vfl women’s side has adopted the same sponsors that our AFL side has , this adds to leverage through negotiation , with 100,000+ members , no 1 in attendances and tv ratings , I’d hate to be on the other side of the table . Don’t be concerned of the standard of the game in its infancy , look at women’s soccer, cricket, tennis golf and its outstanding. The first 5y are an investment , we d be *******s to neglect this opportunity it will only add to our iconic brand in years to come

The talent pool is going to even further diluted.
I find AFLW unwatchable in terms of enjoyment although I support the concept 100%.
I realise it will get better in time, but until then I can see better standard of footy at my local reserves comp.
I'd like to see them play on smaller grounds to encourage higher scoring. At the moment you almost get more goals at a soccer match.
To me, there hasn't been enough done in terms of making the scoring higher and making the standard of play more attractive.
Smaller ground dimensions would help enormously.
But I will reiterate, I support the concept fully.

Seeing as though it’s Australian rules football , yes it is core as the other examples you gave were rival codes. Interestingly our vfl women’s side has adopted the same sponsors that our AFL side has , this adds to leverage through negotiation , with 100,000+ members , no 1 in attendances and tv ratings , I’d hate to be on the other side of the table . Don’t be concerned of the standard of the game in its infancy , look at women’s soccer, cricket, tennis golf and its outstanding. The first 5y are an investment , we d be *******s to neglect this opportunity it will only add to our iconic brand in years to come
Women's soccer is a joke.

The talent pool is going to even further diluted.
I find AFLW unwatchable in terms of enjoyment although I support the concept 100%.
I realise it will get better in time, but until then I can see better standard of footy at my local reserves comp.
I'd like to see them play on smaller grounds to encourage higher scoring. At the moment you almost get more goals at a soccer match.
To me, there hasn't been enough done in terms of making the scoring higher and making the standard of play more attractive.
Smaller ground dimensions would help enormously.
But I will reiterate, I support the concept fully.
The depth simply isn’t there at the mo tugg, yes it will be diluted short term however all the reports with the volume of numbers coming through junior ranks suggest this will significantly improve in time , introducing more clubs will only help drive those numbers coming through ,
The highlights can be spectacular, it’s the balance of the game with poor ball movement that drags down the standard , have failed in trying to emulate the men’s game by applying pressure first ,, agree look at smaller grounds and aspects of AFLX and the game would be more attractive

The depth simply isn’t there at the mo tugg, yes it will be diluted short term however all the reports with the volume of numbers coming through junior ranks suggest this will significantly improve in time , introducing more clubs will only help drive those numbers coming through ,
The highlights can be spectacular, it’s the balance of the game with poor ball movement that drags down the standard , have failed in trying to emulate the men’s game by applying pressure first ,, agree look at smaller grounds and aspects of AFLX and the game would be more attractive
Junior participation has gone through the roof.
It will take a few years, but these girls have something to aspire to which is a good thing.
I'll start watching when it's worth watching though. it will be one day.

the fluro yellow is gonna look putrid on the womens cotton on guernseys

think BLK but the puma yellow being used. Gonna be full blown fluro /white

MCC and AFL part funded it. Part of the compensation to Cricket Vic for early AFL access to the MCG prior to March 31.

Haere Ra

It is a great redevelopment.
Richmond simply does not have the funds to emulate it unfortunately.

how much coin? The whole area needs to be redeveloped starting with richmond station which is an embarrassment and lost in 1950. 30 mill and I would get the job done, and develop a nice punt rd grandstand.

Off memory we got $20m in total for the last redevelopment

Richmond station will be refurbished AFTER Melbourne Metro is complete. With the Pakenham/Cranbourne lines no long stopping at Richmond , it will be a major change for track and platform use

Remove this Banner Ad

Back