Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Knightmare had him rated at 22 in his power rankings, in his phantom draft had us taking him at 57.

You might all shoot me here, but I see a lot of MR in this lad. Hard tackler, sees opportunities to dispose that open up play, nice step, bit of speed, reckon this lad will be the steal of the draft
MR?

Knightmare had him rated at 22 in his power rankings, in his phantom draft had us taking him at 57.

You might all shoot me here, but I see a lot of MR in this lad. Hard tackler, sees opportunities to dispose that open up play, nice step, bit of speed, reckon this lad will be the steal of the draft

Still want junior though.

AFL draft 2018: Sydney Stack finds peace in footy’s rough and tumble
For Sydney Stack, football has been an escape.
To watch Stack play is to see a fearless contested bull but the 18-year-old says the football field is actually a place where he feels at peace.
On talent, Stack would be one of the first West Australians taken in the national draft, which will be staged over Thursday and Friday.
But the Perth midfielder has taken some time to come to grips with the off-field demands ultimately required to join the AFL.
“It’s more like off-field and what your character is like and what you are willing to do to develop as a person and player,” Stack said.
“Footy is like kind of an escape for me. I grew up moving a lot and grew up around violence ... and never really had stability, so I just find footy as just a way out, to get out of trouble and things like that.
“I just really find my peace there, on the footy field. Just that physical side, I really take my anger out at footy sometimes and it just helps me, to release stress and stuff.”
Stack was left out of WA’s first under-18 championship game for disciplinary reasons before returning and earning All-Australian honours as one of the best performers in the carnival.
“Missing that first game was disappointing for me but I just took it on the chin and bounced back and went and played WAFL colts and had a career high of 33 disposals — and after the State champs, I just played as well as I could during the championship and then came back and strived to play league (at Perth) and had three games.
“I just have a lot of family issues and stuff like that. I just really focused on myself and putting my best foot forward this year.
“A lot of credit to my manager Paul Peos. He helped me on the mental side of things and got my head screwed on and just focused day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out. Not thinking too far ahead.”
Stack lived with Peos at the start of the year but ended up spending the rest of the year staying with former Western Bulldogs player Brennan Stack, who has also helped him off the field. Brennan and Sydney’s great grandfathers were brothers.
Stack is also a cousin of fellow WA prospect Ian ‘Bobby’ Hill.
The 179cm midfielder played a lot of sports growing up but found football was where he was most at home and has benefited from playing against bigger bodies most of his life.
Stack is nervous and trying to keep busy as he waits to see if he’ll get his chance.
He is close with his four sisters, but would love the chance to move interstate.
“Just a whole new start and just to get away from everything and live my life,” he said.
The kids had it pretty rough, hope he makes it on our list
Reading that it sounds like it's worth giving him a chance.

He wants to move interstate and be in a stable environment. By the sounds of things he actually wants to put the off field issues behind him and concentrate on footy.

Could be a good fit for us if he prove his commitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Maurice was very good at heaps of sports but a really bloody good boxer, amatuer state titles.
I remember hearing Jacko talk about how he stepped in the ring with him and knew he was outve his depth in about half a min.
And the thing about good boxers they know how to hold their cool.

Maybe that’s the off field stuff with the kid.
Everything shits him at home so much he gets wound up and ends up in punching matches

Here's hoping.

If this year's draft works out our contested ball is sorted for a decade! Strange to think of the worry a week ago that we'd not pick up inside mids. Now we have a house full of them. :p

Here's hoping.

If this year's draft works out our contested ball is sorted for a decade! Strange to think of the worry a week ago that we'd not pick up inside mids. Now we have a house full of them. :p
We only really need at least two of them to work out. With all the inside mids we picked up that should be the case. Anymore than that is a bonus.

We only really need at least two of them to work out. With all the inside mids we picked up that should be the case. Anymore than that is a bonus.

Yep. RCD should be at least decent, and could be awesome.

The rest should end up with at least one decent inside mid. If Syd comes onto his potential we are set to have a great midfield from a year with poor draft picks.

Yep. RCD should be at least decent, and could be awesome.

The rest should end up with at least one decent inside mid. If Syd comes onto his potential we are set to have a great midfield from a year with poor draft picks.
Jeez, very bullish with out draft picks! Been a while since i have seen so much positivity!
Guess it's been a good draft for mids...

Jeez, very bullish with out draft picks! Been a while since i have seen so much positivity!
Guess it's been a good draft for mids...

RCD is a class act. The issue with him is whether he will be a high producer or a low producer. If low he's just going to be a B grade inside mid.

The rest. We have enough guys with AFL potential to hope that one will be AFL quality in the end.

If we get 2 AFL quality contested mids in this draft it sets us up for a good midfield - with Dan Rioli, Shai, Higgins, Graham etc.

I am very confident with RCD

Kid has the tools and knows how to find the ball he played mid/fwd so the numbers are low but once he gets the tank and body he will just muscle his way

Speed , height and talent = GUN

Apparently Maurice was very good at heaps of sports but a really bloody good boxer, amatuer state titles.
I remember hearing Jacko talk about how he stepped in the ring with him and knew he was outve his depth in about half a min.
And the thing about good boxers they know how to hold their cool.

Maybe that’s the off field stuff with the kid.
Everything shits him at home so much he gets wound up and ends up in punching matches
WA golden gloves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back