Game Day Richmond v Brisbane Lions Round 23 - 15:20 AEST, Aug 25, 2019 (No umpiring complaints during game)

Remove this Banner Ad

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Good points all round, any game between the last two premiers is always gonna be a cracker and considering they gave us a bath earlier in the season it's a good one up on them.
Commentators were mentioning that this was the biggest H&A crowd for any Brisbane team regardless whether it was up at the Gabba or at the G. It's an excellent finals crowd/pressure prep for the Lions young'uns
Don't the Pies hold all home and away records?

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
True, but it was nowhere near the pressure of last weeks Tiges/Eagles game. That was massive intense. Probably game of the year.
Still think the Tiges just done what they needed to do against the Lions after belting them early.

Agree mate.

No disrespect to the Lions, they have improved out of site! I cant help thinking after seeing WC v Hawks and us today, that last weeks game took a hell of alot out of both teams. Mid way through the second we looked so flat. Again not taking anything away from the Lions. I have watched our system for a long while but we had 0 forward 50 tackles, I cant remember the last time we did that !

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually think Brisbane have the players to match the Tigers on every line. The only player which Brisbane doesn't have is a Dustin Martin. Other than that, I think talent and skill wise, we match up very well.

Hopefully we will have better composure (There were a few unforced errors which gifted Richmond some goals in that first quarter) and we learn a few things about being smarter with our ball use going forward come the game at the gabba.

Richmond were too good today though. But Brisbane are a very good learning team. They will be better equipped for the rematch.

Edit. Actually come to think of it. Dayne Zorko is sort of our Dusty. So yeah... maybe the main thing lacking is just that experience of big games.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Come on Brisbane, please.
Richmond getting an absolute ride from the umps
Tiges getting a ride.
As much as the tigers wanna say they’ve been done dirty, how many times has Charlie deliberately been held away from the contest?? It’s actually been disgusting viewing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep - Brisbane have done just what they needed to do - not lose by more than 63 points. In contrast, Richmond have failed in their objective.
Do you think there will ever be a contest where Riewoldt or Lynch don't whinge for a free?
Not super upset with this loss.

We really got to find a way to support Charlie though, since the umpires have decided its ok to just hang off him all game.
Gabba home final secured. All we needed today.

Given our horrid run with injury this year (Cutler, Brown, Black, Christensen and Tom Joyce) it's been awesome to make top two.

Once we have our best team out there we'll be much more competitive. Kept it even after Richmond jumped us in the first quarter.

Really have to find a way to stop Lids next time.
Good for you. Anyone would.

What a bizarre thing to say. Richmond supporters really do say the darndest things.
Tigers supporters say the darndest things.
Just a warning for Richmond fans.

In the big games, we always learn from our losses.

QClash 2018 is my thesis. Read on.

First game was an absolute cracker, with the Suns just getting up at a packed Gabba.

View attachment 733638

You might be thinking "Wow how is this relevant BRAB" and my answer is the next game at a packed out Metricon.

View attachment 733639

Fagan doesn't make the same mistakes twice, and Richmond will have to think of a new way to play if they think they can beat us again in a big game.
For awhile they seemed like they might catch up and even run away with it, but Tigers so mature, so experienced, composed and well set up. Should've sent in more chaos balls like Collingwood last year cos your defenders were gobbling it up.
I actually think Brisbane have the players to match the Tigers on every line. The only player which Brisbane doesn't have is a Dustin Martin. Other than that, I think talent and skill wise, we match up very well.

Hopefully we will have better composure (There were a few unforced errors which gifted Richmond some goals in that first quarter) and we learn a few things about being smarter with our ball use going forward come the game at the gabba.

Richmond were too good today though. But Brisbane are a very good learning team. They will be better equipped for the rematch.

Edit. Actually come to think of it. Dayne Zorko is sort of our Dusty. So yeah... maybe the main thing lacking is just that experience of big games.
Proof positive that reasoned thought is optional whilst posting on bigfooty

For a big crowd it felt a little flat. Tiges ball movement was sublime at times. Lions stoppages/clearances were excellent at times

Proof positive that reasoned thought is optional whilst posting on bigfooty

For a big crowd it felt a little flat. Tiges ball movement was sublime at times. Lions stoppages/clearances we're excellent at times

Nice multiquote

Have you heard of the sweet FA?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Watching the game today i felt that Richmond did not play their best and held out brisbane to just get the win But Finals will be a different game altogether

Out: Balta
In: Nankervis

Richmond let Brisbane midfield win too much ball and Neal/Zorko/McClugguage way too much freedom.
Cotchin was held back and on restricted minutes 1st game back and Martin used sparingly in the midfield

Graham will be asigned a defensive role on Neal and Nank will be a more aggressive player both foward and in the Ruck

Result will be similar to today imo

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Roys always my second team, hope this becomes a huge fixture in the next couple of years.

Not sure if they ran out of puff or geared down deliberately in the last q. I think we have the lions now but they will go past us within 2 years.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Felt like we needed that first quarter to acclimatise us to the big stage and a packed MCG. At quarter time was worried Richmond would hit the 11 goal win needed to overtake us. After that we looked more comfortable. Richmond nailed us on the turnover and their F50 entries in the first half were so quick and clean. Also thing our chaos ball strategy entering F50 can be found out a bit by a top shelf backline, so many entries came straight back out. Lastly, Dusty ripped us apart.

What a great crowd too, wish I could have gone down for this one. Biggest ever crowd against an interstate team in H&A season, wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely next time we at least send someone to stand in the same postrcode as Lachie Neale.

At the ground it was painfully obvious how little attention was spent on him.

Playing with fire I reckon. I dont understand why we dont run Graham or Lambert on him.

I wonder about our tactics after the first quarter. We really didn't try to stop them a lot. We just went head to head, and won. We allowed them to set up behind the ball and Neale to get 1001 possessions. Maybe Dimma was keeping some tactics under his hat. In some ways it was very Richmond, in some ways very un-Richmond how we played. I wouldn't be shocked if we turn up with a very different strategy in a fortnight.

Surely next time we at least send someone to stand in the same postrcode as Lachie Neale.

At the ground it was painfully obvious how little attention was spent on him.

Playing with fire I reckon. I dont understand why we dont run Graham or Lambert on him.
Reckon in finals we might, but we back our system more often than not and it worked so why mess with it.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Love the Lions always have but I'm not sure why people are saying we jumped them in the 1st quarter, Brisbane kicked the first goal and were super competitive for the first 10 mins, it was the second half of the 1st quarter where we got well on top and resulted in a 4 goal lead.

There was also a moment in the 2nd quarter where we were up by nearly 5 goal and kicked 4 points in a row, all easy chances too so the game could have blown out to 6-7 goals, to the lions credit they regrouped after halftime came out kicked the first 2 and got back into the game. I felt we took their punches and then did what we had to get a 4 goal win. The big point was keeping the Lions to their lowest score this year with just 55 points. That tells me we were quite comfortable yesterday with our structures.

In Brisbane it will be a much tougher challenge, but I seriously reckon we are up to it, we saw Geelong pretty much out play the lions the other week but then lost their nerve in the last 5 to 10 minutes and Brisbane made them pay, so Brisbane isnt unbeatable at the GABBA.

Looking forward to the game, it's going to be a cracker.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
What a splendid day was had yesterday. Due to medical issues, this was the first game I've been to in three years. I went with seven others, including two mates of 45 years standing.

The game was played at breakneck speed for most of it. Richmond dominated the first quarter, due mostly to 'Dusty' Martin. I've never seen a footballer of such quality and awesome style, coupled with his unparalleled strength. Several times during that first quarter, he managed to kick a 40 metre 'stab pass' to a forward, while a couple of Brisbane blokes were hanging off him. Amazing!

We were in an area near the Punt Rd goals. We were among a good mixture of supporters from both sides. The banter between those around us, especially Richmond supporters, was extremely witty, and the whole atmosphere was extraordinarily friendly. There is one thing which hasn't changed at the MCG though. For many years it appears to have been made illegal for people to watch where they're walking. Oh well.

If i'm correct (can't find the details of the scoring ATM), I think Brisbane might have won every quarter on the scoreboard, except for the first. After Reiwoldt kicked his marvellous four goals in the first quarter, he was rendered almost kickless by Adams. It was a great display of confidence in him by Fagan to leave him there. Richmond's defence won the game for them. They rebounded from their back 50 almost without fail, and denied Brisbane virtually any marks in their forward line.

All in all, a great game, and an exciting portent of even better game in a fortnight.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
What a splendid day was had yesterday. Due to medical issues, this was the first game I've been to in three years. I went with seven others, including two mates of 45 years standing.

The game was played at breakneck speed for most of it. Richmond dominated the first quarter, due mostly to 'Dusty' Martin. I've never seen a footballer of such quality and awesome style, coupled with his unparalleled strength. Several times during that first quarter, he managed to kick a 40 metre 'stab pass' to a forward, while a couple of Brisbane blokes were hanging off him. Amazing!

We were in an area near the Punt Rd goals. We were among a good mixture of supporters from both sides. The banter between those around us, especially Richmond supporters, was extremely witty, and the whole atmosphere was extraordinarily friendly. There is one thing which hasn't changed at the MCG though. For many years it appears to have been made illegal for people to watch where they're walking. Oh well.

If i'm correct (can't find the details of the scoring ATM), I think Brisbane might have won every quarter on the scoreboard, except for the first. After Reiwoldt kicked his marvellous four goals in the first quarter, he was rendered almost kickless by Adams. It was a great display of confidence in him by Fagan to leave him there. Richmond's defence won the game for them. They rebounded from their back 50 almost without fail, and denied Brisbane virtually any marks in their forward line.

All in all, a great game, and an exciting portent of even better game in a fortnight.
Great summary.
On the scores, Tiges won the1st (25pts) 3rd (1pt) 4th (7 pts) Lions won 2nd (7pts)
Tiges won both halves 1st (26pts) 2nd (1pt)

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens

Hope you are over your issues and on the mend mate

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Should be an interesting re-match I always reckon it's tough mentally to beat the same side two weeks in a row.

I don't think Neale is the kind of guy you tag, you've just got to hope our guys can beat him on the inside. Tbh I'd rather tag Zorko.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Glad you had fun amigo. Hope all is well with you now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back