Umpiring Richmond v Brisbane Umpiring and THAT Free Kick

Was that a legitimate free kick?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, if you play poorly, you lose games.
Richmond supporters will be adamant that the free kick to Balta was legitimate. Brisbane supporters will claim otherwise, or at least feel that it was a feeble interpretation. I've got no interest in arguing about it one way or the other (but it would be very easy to determine my opinion).
However, I think everyone can agree that it was a pressure situation and the game was in the balance at that stage. So, how mentally invested was the umpire in the game to perceive that Balta was a forward, and to not understand which direction each team was heading? Was he possibly overawed? Or simply not concentrating? And regardless of either possibility, how much credence can be attached to any other decisions made by the umpire (and his colleagues) if something so basic and simple is adjudged incorrectly? Does one strange call delegitimize other rulings? Or do we accept that "mistakes happen", and its just a one-off error?
In any case, it was one of the more bizarre moments I've seen from the professional level.
Look the umpiring was pretty poor overall for both teams. First half it's fair to say you guys had the rub of the green and us in the second half.
Not going to pin point the obvious frees & non frees Richmond didn't get paid as I'll try stay impartial.
The ones Richmond got lucky with and could have gone either way were;
  • Cumberland first goal and the HTB not paid.
  • Riolis long run which could have easily been called too far.
  • Lester non paid 50 at the death.
Personally the Balta one for me was a push and it should have never gone to a review and wasted everyone's time.

Lots of Geelong supporters watching Richmond play. They're either watching us at the 'G or the Gabba!
Or stalking our board threads when not even directly playing them. Then claim they are not "rivals" or hate Richmond fmd 🤣😂.
They are a funny bunch down at kitty litter Park.

Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?
Or, could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Bolton on the wing for the Brisbane player moving on the mark just moments before?

Great question.

Is it just me, or could a 50m penalty have been awarded to Brisbane in the last minute because Cumberland came off the mark to spoil Gardiner's kick, which then resulted in Lynch's goal?
That's been mentioned plenty of times if you read the thread. I also admit this was a lucky one for us as I've seen them paid either way.
We got absolutely mauled in round 1 against Carlton 8 x50m penalties for this and the protected zone but seems they have eased off a bit.

Furher to last I find it hilarious that a thread gets made for one controversial discussion going our way for once. But the controversial decisions the other way re: Blues x8 50s, swans non 50 after the siren, arse reeming by the umps at AO against the crows or the cats getting extremely lucky when Prestia got knocked out and game continued while he was unconscious and they go on to kick a quick goal against 16 Richmond players but yeah all good no need to additional threads 🤔

Umpire clearly calls play on when he goes off his line, then play on again when he kicks it. Never called stand.

That's cool, My Cotchin Rules - fair comment. I'm not arguing the Balta free kick - or any free kick from the game.
I was really expressing concern for the umpire's clarity of mind at the moment of the decision, as he was clearly confused (either a free kick or a score review, but never both in that situation). It's a tough gig, and getting tougher - and clearly can take its toll.
I'm not arguing the result either. Richmond deserved the win, and Brisbane, either through their own laxity or the Tigers' tenacity, are now in an awkward position for the remainder of the year. I still have faith that my home team can have a positive impact in the finals - but that faith is being tested. :thumbsu:

That's cool, My Cotchin Rules - fair comment. I'm not arguing the Balta free kick - or any free kick from the game.
I was really expressing concern for the umpire's clarity of mind at the moment of the decision, as he was clearly confused (either a free kick or a score review, but never both in that situation). It's a tough gig, and getting tougher - and clearly can take its toll.
I'm not arguing the result either. Richmond deserved the win, and Brisbane, either through their own laxity or the Tigers' tenacity, are now in an awkward position for the remainder of the year. I still have faith that my home team can have a positive impact in the finals - but that faith is being tested. :thumbsu:
Yeap agree. Look I definitely see the counter argument that these type of pushes don't get paid... just watch any Geelong game and watch how Hawkins shoves defenders 8m foward and gets away with it so it's good to see one go a defenders way for once.
Lions still right in the mix just need to sort out your midfield mix. Lyons, Robbo probably needs to be given a rest imo. Hope Bailey is ok as his crucial for your run home.
I still think we're extremely unlikely to make it as I reakon Dogs win out and we lose to Port so I'll be happy with any of Brisbane, Freo, Demons, dogs or Swans to win it which gives me a 62.5% chance of not being disappointed 😂🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a push in the back but Balta milked it. In other news, the Australian diving team coach has announced a late change to the team and Balta will be missing next week's game
Can we add dangerfield to that line up? It's the only grand final medal he'll win. Preliminary final 2019 he dived into the bass straight, I guess you've got a short memory.

I guess other teams need to work harder at throwing their arms out and claiming a free UEFA style at training. Richmond clearly have been working on it. Other teams need to catch up.
Brisbane missed too many opportunities for frees by not diving and drawing enough attention to very minor infringements.

Richmond is last for free kick differential by a mile, and has been for 5-years. Lions got the rub of the green in the first half, Tigers got it in the second half. Whenever Richmond gets a few lucky ones the whole footy world goes into meltdown.

Daniher is the king of flops and Charlie is not far behind ……. annoying, isn’t it? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Run 30m without bouncing? All good if done in Yellow and Black

Those grass clipped areas are 9m. So he ran about 22m. Should have been pinged for too far … wasn’t (they rarely are when shooting for goal). Great goal!

Learn the rules. Umpire hadn’t called stand yet as it was pretty instantaneous. He went sideways and not over the mark. 100% all ok

Richmond is last for free kick differential by a mile, and has been for 5-years. Lions got the rub of the green in the first half, Tigers got it in the second half. Whenever Richmond gets a few lucky ones the whole footy world goes into meltdown.

Daniher is the king of flops and Charlie is not far behind ……. annoying, isn’t it? Haha.

I won't argue with you mate as you're clearly an objective observer of the incident in question without an axe to grind. :D

Back